Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 12,259 times

Advertisements

I've just been accepted to grad school at FSU in the fall. Currently, I live in a Philadelphia suburb. I'm a 30 year old single woman and I want to live in a study-friendly, very quiet, safe neighborhood. I don't want to be near the undergrads or their hangouts. I have a car and I don't mind a 30 minute or so commute, and I'm looking to spend no more than $800-inclusive for rent. A furnished apt would be ideal, but I'm sure I can scrounge up the neccessities if need be.

I'm not that familiar with the Tallahassee area and I believe I will need to call a realtor for help with the rental process. To narrow down areas, I would appreciate it if anyone could give me the good and the bad about the area. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 12,259 times
I'm interested in these 2 apt complexes. Any opinions?
Arrow Pointe
3380 Fred George Road
Tallahassee, FL

Banyan Bay
1800 Miccosukee Commons Dr
Tallahassee

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 108,449 times
I was just in Tally and looked at both those apts! I am moving for grad school and apt hunting also. They are in my price range and pics looked nice in Apt Finder. But when I got there, I learned that it is income-restricted housing. Lots of nicer places are, and you can't tell it unless you ask. Since it is funded with tax credits, students are not allowed to rent there. And you can't make over a certain amount to rent there. FYI - that is the case for all their properties (concordrents.com). If that is not an issue for you and you meet their requirements, I can say that the model apartment they showed me before I learned all that seemed pretty decent. Banyan Bay is 5 miles from the worst part of town (Frenchtown) - not IN it, but I had to drive through, so give that some thought if safety is a concern. As far as I can tell just as a visitor, if your price range is around $600, it doesn't seem like you are going to do much better, and you could do worse.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,163 times
Try this link also: Florida apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com

A Realtor can help give you ideas also.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
My wife and I rent from Arbor Properties and they've been great. It seems that all of their apartment complexes are well-kept and in decent areas. We've been real happy with the maintenance, they take care of problems quick! Here's a link:

Arbor Properties - Luxury Apartment Homes

Old 06-07-2009, 01:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
I think Banyan Bay is income restricted, and at least one person on the lease cannot be a student.

One option you may want to consider is renting out a carriage house in a place like Southwood. I lived in Southwood for grad school. It is definitely NOT a party area, but has a nice little shopping area, a great big park and jogging trails. If you get a carriage house, most likely it will be a "studio" set up, but all utilities included.

Example:

Carriage House - Studio apt with Utilities Included (http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/apa/1206045816.html - broken link)

Beware, however, as some listings SAY they are in Southwood, but are actually "near" southwood.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM

94 posts, read 270,652 times
It all depends what kind of environment u like, there are lot of students who stay near campus, but that is for all students, so too much disturbance. I live in meridian place apartments it is more for family type people. But there are lots of students are, i myself is currently pursuing bachelors from FSU, i love this apartments. It is only 5 -7 to FSU. It is nice place trust me. PM me for more info.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 AM

259 posts, read 840,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaOz View Post
I was just in Tally and looked at both those apts! I am moving for grad school and apt hunting also. They are in my price range and pics looked nice in Apt Finder. But when I got there, I learned that it is income-restricted housing. Lots of nicer places are, and you can't tell it unless you ask. Since it is funded with tax credits, students are not allowed to rent there. And you can't make over a certain amount to rent there. FYI - that is the case for all their properties (concordrents.com). If that is not an issue for you and you meet their requirements, I can say that the model apartment they showed me before I learned all that seemed pretty decent. Banyan Bay is 5 miles from the worst part of town (Frenchtown) - not IN it, but I had to drive through, so give that some thought if safety is a concern. As far as I can tell just as a visitor, if your price range is around $600, it doesn't seem like you are going to do much better, and you could do worse.
Well, going by that theory, almost every area in Tallahassee is nearly 5 miles from Frenchtown (because it's so centrally located). But you don't necessarily have to drive through it. To get to FSU from that area you could just go down Miccossukee then take Tennessee St which I would say qualifies as safe and pretty much avoids Frenchtown.
For the OP, I lived in Banyan Bay for a year after I graduated and enjoyed it for the most part. It is nice in the regard that they keep the property up, it is quiet, safe, and it's very family oriented. And yes it is income restricted although you wouldn't notice the difference between them and any other apartment. And no I don't think they allow students either. I personally enjoyed it for the period that I lived there because I was no longer a student, was trying to save money to leave, and I wanted something close to my job.
For that area in general though, my only negatives are that everything in there would shut down by 9/10 pm and the traffic right by the Leon County HS in the mornings was really annoying when school was in session. I personally would recommend Blairstone at Governer's Square. Good Luck!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES2247 View Post
I've just been accepted to grad school at FSU in the fall. Currently, I live in a Philadelphia suburb. I'm a 30 year old single woman and I want to live in a study-friendly, very quiet, safe neighborhood. I don't want to be near the undergrads or their hangouts. I have a car and I don't mind a 30 minute or so commute, and I'm looking to spend no more than $800-inclusive for rent. A furnished apt would be ideal, but I'm sure I can scrounge up the neccessities if need be.

I'm not that familiar with the Tallahassee area and I believe I will need to call a realtor for help with the rental process. To narrow down areas, I would appreciate it if anyone could give me the good and the bad about the area. Thank you so much!
Stay away from campus and look for stuff on the north and east side of town, generally.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM

12 posts, read 43,217 times
My husband and I lived at The Paddock Club (near the intersection of Miccosukkee and NE Capital Circle) for 6 weeks while we were waiting for our house to be ready. My advisor also lives there. I really liked it, as far as apts go. I haven't been in an apt in 5 years and my husband in about 10, so we weren't sure what to expect. It was very quiet (although we heard the medical helicopters every once in awhile) and no undergrads.

We also rented furniture. There is a 3-month minimum rental from Southern Furniture Living. Furniture packages are pretty good (we had 1 bedroom, dining room, and living room), although the mattress was so bad I ended up sleeping on the couch for a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: