Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times

Advertisements

It is very pretty. I just wish everything were not concealed!

Last edited by fauve; 07-17-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: edit out orphaned response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
There is no such thing as finding a can of atun from Spain. In Miami it was everywhere. . In Miami, we were booming in organic produce everywhere.
You're not in Miami.
You are in a different world. It is not an finding a can of atun everywhere world.
I googled farmer's markets in Tally and found 3. That's one more than we have here.
Sweet Grass Dairy comes to our market, I really enjoy their stuff, and I know they occasionally show up in Tally.
And FSU gets movies, concerts and lectures that I wish I could see, but never will.
When life makes lemons, you gotta make lemonade.
Good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 PM

If it were just the can of atun, I'd be fine. It isn't just the can of atun. It's making ends meet too. More expensive and lower wages.

I guess I have to figure out a way to do things differently. What amazes me is that the seat of Florida's govt is more like a little town than a capital. Maybe I'll get used to it. A friend of mine just told me today she's leaving Tally to go back home to Orlando with her husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
You're not in Miami.
You are in a different world. It is not an finding a can of atun everywhere world.
I googled farmer's markets in Tally and found 3. That's one more than we have here.
Sweet Grass Dairy comes to our market, I really enjoy their stuff, and I know they occasionally show up in Tally.
And FSU gets movies, concerts and lectures that I wish I could see, but never will.
When life makes lemons, you gotta make lemonade.
Good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM

729 posts, read 1,288,323 times
Quote:
If it were just the can of atun, I'd be fine. It isn't just the can of atun. It's making ends meet too. More expensive and lower wages.

I guess I have to figure out a way to do things differently. What amazes me is that the seat of Florida's govt is more like a little town than a capital. Maybe I'll get used to it. A friend of mine just told me today she's leaving Tally to go back home to Orlando with her husband.
If it wasn't for the universities here, the city would shutdown at sunset.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:43 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:

I know.
Just when I think I've got those ends meeting, they move the ends!

But I've got my island, and you've got some decent cultural opportunities at FSU.
When we lived in Port St Joe, I met a lot of people from Tally who visited the seashore there. Those are some of the most gorgeous beaches I've seen (and I have made it my business to see a lot of gorgeous beaches.)
I love Tallahassee's canopy roads. I guess, despite the limitations, I just fell in love with northern Florida.
But I did not adjust overnight. It took a year to really feel at home.
When we moved to PSJ in '05, we did not immediately join a Baptist church or add grits to our regular menu, but we did try to follow the "When in Rome" credo. We joined in community activities there.
These days, we make the best of the available resources here on the east side. We have new friends.
I make my own yogurt, and I've always grown my own herbs and some vegies. We eat a lot of shrimp because it is inexpensive and delicious.

Coming from Miami, maybe Orlando would be a better compromise for you.
Orlando is not my cup of tea, but there is more going on there in terms of jobs, retail, etc.

I hope we get to stay here, but we have to live wherever my husband can make a living. One thing we'll remember is that a community does not need to adapt to us--we have to adapt to it. Sure we can offer our talents and enthusiasm to help build the community, but people don't especially enjoy hearing about how things were back in Miami or Denver.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,111,836 times
Quote:
It is very pretty. I just wish everything were not concealed!

And HEY, thanks for the welcome mat.

No offense but it seems a bit odd for someone to move to Tallahassee and then complain about the very things that make most people want to live here.

When I drive to central or south Florida I am disgusted by the overdevelopment, the endless line of nearly identical, cheaply built strip malls with their scraggly palm trees and acres of asphalt. Looking skyward is no relief from the banality and kitch of a typical Florida city - the sky is full of billboards advertising personal injury attorneys, strip clubs, etc., all lining the same 8-lane streets that could be any street in any town south of Ocala. They all look the same.

If I were you, I'd consider appreciating Tallahassee for what it is...and what it is not.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,111,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
If it wasn't for the universities here, the city would shutdown at sunset.

Besides not being true, why would that be a bad thing?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM

I moved here to be of help to someone in my family who needs my help, not because I wanted to come for to live, for my enjoyment and pleasure, advancement, or any such thing.

Also, I'm not saying trees aren't pretty, but the tour of Tallahassee I just gave a friend who visited was, "And behind those trees is such-and-such, and behind those other trees is such-and-such..., and if you turn left and go straight, you will see some trees behind which is such-and-such.." I like trees but I've never seen a city where the front of everything is blocked and covered by trees.

I do like things about Tallahassee. I like the hilliness of it, it's so nice on the eyes, I like the fact that people tend to be friendly, I like crepe myrtle, I like the way the sun hits Tallahassee in a way different and much nicer than Miami. Miami is too humid, too congested, too flat, but I miss all those other things I mentioned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No offense but it seems a bit odd for someone to move to Tallahassee and then complain about the very things that make most people want to live here.

When I drive to central or south Florida I am disgusted by the overdevelopment, the endless line of nearly identical, cheaply built strip malls with their scraggly palm trees and acres of asphalt. Looking skyward is no relief from the banality and kitch of a typical Florida city - the sky is full of billboards advertising personal injury attorneys, strip clubs, etc., all lining the same 8-lane streets that could be any street in any town south of Ocala. They all look the same.

If I were you, I'd consider appreciating Tallahassee for what it is...and what it is not.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,739,907 times
Quote:
I moved here to be of help to someone in my family who needs my help, not because I wanted to come for to live, for my enjoyment and pleasure, advancement, or any such thing.

Also, I'm not saying trees aren't pretty, but the tour of Tallahassee I just gave a friend who visited was, "And behind those trees is such-and-such, and behind those other trees is such-and-such..., and if you turn left and go straight, you will see some trees behind which is such-and-such.." I like trees but I've never seen a city where the front of everything is blocked and covered by trees.

I do like things about Tallahassee. I like the hilliness of it, it's so nice on the eyes, I like the fact that people tend to be friendly, I like crepe myrtle, I like the way the sun hits Tallahassee in a way different and much nicer than Miami. Miami is too humid, too congested, too flat, but I miss all those other things I mentioned before.
The thing is, you can get all those things even if they have to be ordered. You have the best of both worlds. I don't think I would want to live in a hell hole though because they have good cheese. I know people who live in the Bahama islands, Hawaii, on boats, in the mountains and so on. Giving up a few things, and not even things you can't easily get, for a better way of life is a no brainer if you have a choice.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,443,407 times
Quote:
Sure. Electricity has gone up everywhere. The difference for me now is in Miami it was $65, and in Tally it's $295.

An organic broccoli (lucky I can find one here), is 3 times more expensive. There is no such thing as finding a can of atun from Spain. In Miami it was everywhere. No distributors, they say. The local natural food store is teensy weensy and even they have a flyer that says that unfortunately it's near impossible to find produce around Tally. In Miami, we were booming in organic produce everywhere.

The main Florida supermarket can't get distributors up here for lots of products so they advised me they can't carry them. I went to buy my hair dye here, and it's 25% higher. You want to get your nails done? Higher. Want to do anything? Higher.

I don't get it. This is a depressed area in terms of real estate. So is Miami. Why the high prices? Is it the lack of distributors? You'd think products had to go through tunnels and snowed-in mountain passes to get here, everything is so expensive!
I ran into the same issues while there... for the stuff I was used to, i.e. eating organic foods it was actually more expensive, or not to be found at all, and when found, wasn't fresh. Most people in Tallahassee shop at Wal Mart or Publix. They both suck. New Leaf is limited and way overpriced for anywhere else. You will hear this isn't true though...but, just their subjective experience.
The restaurants there are pretty garbage too, I blame it on the people working there are mostly college students. I can't count how many times I was told "oh this place is good" only to find it unauthentic to unpalatable. Yeah I am used to good stuff, but come on, there are better ethnic places and restaurants in Panama City and FWB/Destin both much smaller.
I paid about 70 for elec in Chicago from 2004-2008... between 200-300 in Tallahassee dec-may this year
My gf experienced the same thing, actually what she would say would probably get the post moderated and banned.
I have left that place twice for greener pastures,some of the best decisions I ever made, one of the worst was to move back there for 6 months (in your boat) to try to be closer and help out family... couldn't take the slow pace anymore, felt like I was disconnected from civilization. I will just help them from afar.
I went to h.s. and FSU there so was mostly sheltered from greater Tallahassee stuff, I had groups/sports to entertain me, and lived on campus, but still irked enough to leave soon as I was done, trying it again as an adult was a nightmare, esp coming from a world class city like Chicago... I'm sure it is similar coming from Miami.

Do a long search on the forum, you'll find a lot of similar complaints from transplants.

Welcome to Tallahassee...it is a sleepy southern college town, so I suppose all your griefs are to be expected. If you like Miami, you'll hate Tallahassee... completely different worlds. The biggest issue is, there is no escape from it...to get to a bigger fast paced city, it is 5 hours to ATL/Orlando/New Orleans/Tampa.

Last edited by grapico; 07-07-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee