Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:40 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLucy View Post
That does sound like fun! Horses don't get hurt often do they?? I had to stop going to horse races because I saw several break down. Growing up I had a horse and ran barrels and poles.

If we get acreage in NE Tallahassee what type of utilites would we have?
We are thinking if we found land with a small house on it we could have a place to live while we build. Or...can you put some sort of temporary trailer on the property to live in while building?

It's a serious competition. There have been injuries and I think a fatality at least once. The cross-country competition is pretty harsh - but amazing to watch. A saw this poor girl plant her face into a tree a couple of years ago...

But other than that it is a real social event with a fair-like atmosphere and a beer garden, all in this very large park north of Tallahassee that is very pretty and unspoiled. A fun day for the family.

As for utilities, it depends. The city limits of Tallahassee do extend like a sort of irregular tentacle north of I-10 along either side of Thomasville Road, but if you get out there around Roberts I think you would be on county utilities, but I'm not sure that would be much different than city. People complain about the utilities being higher here, and they may be right, but my experience with the local utility service has been very positive. You get what you pay for, I guess.

As for temporary trailer, you might have a hard time getting away with that inside the city limits, but out there past Bradfordville I doubt it would be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 11,199 times
Default Apartments Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
If you are a mid-career professional potentially relocating to Tallahassee, Florida, what are the best neighborhoods? Are there rental homes that are not geared towards students? Where do the professors and professionals live?
In the question here, it mentions "rental homes." I am not sure if that includes rental apartments. When I move to Tallahassee, I will rent a one bedroom apartment. Not more than $700.00 a month. Do the neighborhoods cited here also include some of the best neighborhoods in which to rent an apartment? If not, what areas or streets would you recommend? Also if someone could recommend an apartment complex by name, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 AM

57 posts, read 848,086 times
It is hard to give suggestions not knowing where you are working and/or getting around. Tallahassee is a pretty large city and things are pretty far apart.

If you are looking in the Southwood area (southeast) try Delaney Park or Verandas at Blairstone. Both are very nice and don't have any students. Expect to pay $700 or more.

If you want the Killearn area (northeast), try the complex at 1767 Hermitage Bvld. (forgot the name) Barrington Park and Eagles Landing are also nice. Not as expensive at the Southwood apartments.

The farther west you go, and start running into student areas. Most of them are very large, and cater to students. There are a few that aren't too loud or crazy.

Tallahassee has a lot of townhouses/condos, and there are always lots for rent. Some are in communities with the same amentities as nice apartment complexes. I would make a trip here before you move and look at some places. If you aren't a student and don't work on that side of town, I wouldn't recommend the northwest side.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
It is hard to give suggestions not knowing where you are working and/or getting around. Tallahassee is a pretty large city and things are pretty far apart.

If you are looking in the Southwood area (southeast) try Delaney Park or Verandas at Blairstone. Both are very nice and don't have any students. Expect to pay $700 or more.

If you want the Killearn area (northeast), try the complex at 1767 Hermitage Bvld. (forgot the name) Barrington Park and Eagles Landing are also nice. Not as expensive at the Southwood apartments.

The farther west you go, and start running into student areas. Most of them are very large, and cater to students. There are a few that aren't too loud or crazy.

Tallahassee has a lot of townhouses/condos, and there are always lots for rent. Some are in communities with the same amentities as nice apartment complexes. I would make a trip here before you move and look at some places. If you aren't a student and don't work on that side of town, I wouldn't recommend the northwest side.

Looking for a midtown or northeast sector townhouse is a good bet. Lots of nice little duplex neighborhoods on the east side too - I'm thinking Park Avenue maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee