Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 08:11 PM

19 posts, read 34,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Yes, there is a growing startup scene here. See https://www.domistation.org and https://jimmorancollege.fsu.edu.

Yes, that budget should have you living very well, but honestly home prices are probably within reason for you. Maybe you could buy a single family house.
Thank you for the reply TD. It's nice to know there are options. It seems we're priced out of South Florida, and as original Floridians, seems like it's true we can't always go home.

We're going to be carrying our place in Manhattan at the same time so for a while we may be property poor. Plus, would rather be cautious for the first year and make sure it's a good all-around fit. Our nieces both went to FSU and moved back to Tampa Bay after graduating but they rave about Tally.

Thanks for the info on the startup scene. With what appears to be a historic wave of newcomers heading to FLA, this could be the beginning of a new Golden Age, as long as sub-urban sprawl doesn't lead for them to pave over paradise. I hope zoning will protect those gorgeous oaks so they don't get bulldozed to slap up another Popeye's or strip mall or even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 05:44 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
You are in luck then, because the city of Tallahassee has a strong planning and growth management department, that has fought against Tallahassee turning into pavement and un-restrained growth.

We love our parks/greenways here and are surrounded by protected public land. I do think you would enjoy it, based on your posts so far.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 AM

19 posts, read 34,465 times
We really appreciate the forward thinking. So much of the United States has been written off due to sprawl and the wastelands left behind to fall into poverty and blight -- that of course is just our opinion. We're going to give the area a serious look, bringing companies and jobs. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Still considering Tally more and more. This has been a horrible year for so many. We are now dealing with Tropical Storm/ETA coming back for the second round. :-( I absolutely hate SW Florida!

I've never sold a home while trying to find another one since being widowed. I assume I would sell my current home first, then find one up there? Are there many homes with mother-in-law quarters?
Sometimes, if agreed upon, a contingency can be in the contract for the sale of your current home to occur before the purchase.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM

145 posts, read 163,061 times
I don't think Tallahassee has really gone downhill at all. The city is really thriving with many industries, and there is plenty of growth now. However, there are still quite a few decent-looking homes in the 200 range, so I don't think it has experienced major price increases compared to areas such as Tampa Bay and Southeast Florida. Probably the only drawback for some new residents would be the distance to the beaches, which are mainly over two hours away. Unfortunately, the rural areas really haven't experienced much growth in recent years.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
There are not four seasons here. Moved here in 2010 and have never warmed up to it. It gets hotter than coastal areas and there are hurricanes. I can't wait to leave Florida and In a native.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:31 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desscout View Post
There are not four seasons here. Moved here in 2010 and have never warmed up to it. It gets hotter than coastal areas and there are hurricanes. I can't wait to leave Florida and In a native.
I only lived in Tallahassee for a short period of time, <2 years but during that time I did experience all four seasons to include light snow.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:30 AM

29 posts, read 41,740 times
Tally metro area has grown tremendously and there are some beautiful neighborhoods, especially north of town along US 319/Thomasville Rd. Also out in the Buck Lake Road area or Off Capital Circle in Southwood.
If you want to reach the gulf, you can be there in 30 minutes. Not two hours. Climate is Deep South, like anywhere else South of Atlanta or Birmingham. Fall and Spring weather is lovely, and there are probably 3-4 weeks of "cold snap" days, with some overnight temps in the upper 20's. But many January days are also sunny and 70.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:37 PM

120 posts, read 73,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavePassportReadyToGo View Post
Thank you for the reply TD. It's nice to know there are options. It seems we're priced out of South Florida, and as original Floridians, seems like it's true we can't always go home.

We're going to be carrying our place in Manhattan at the same time so for a while we may be property poor. Plus, would rather be cautious for the first year and make sure it's a good all-around fit. Our nieces both went to FSU and moved back to Tampa Bay after graduating but they rave about Tally.

Thanks for the info on the startup scene. With what appears to be a historic wave of newcomers heading to FLA, this could be the beginning of a new Golden Age, as long as sub-urban sprawl doesn't lead for them to pave over paradise. I hope zoning will protect those gorgeous oaks so they don't get bulldozed to slap up another Popeye's or strip mall or even worse.
Yeah I know the feeling of being priced outta South Florida, but at the same time, South Florida has gotten worse over the years. Too many low class foreigners are moving in and all the educated northerners are moving out. The job market is dying off and not much is going on down there sides drug dealing and slumlords ripping everyone off. Plus yeah, the cost of living is so high there to where your better off being in the Northeast to where there are high paying jobs to offset the high cost of living.

And some people may get offended by saying this, especially if they went to FSU and hate UF lol, but Gainesville has a brighter future than Tallahassee. The standard of living is rising faster there than it is in Tallahassee. The medical people are bringing in way more money than anything in Tallahassee is doing. The startup scene in Gainesville is alot more impressive since UF is better at producing entrepreneurs. Gainesville is more likely to become one of Florida's startup hubs way before Tallahassee.

Florida has become a lost cause IMO at this point due to its politics. Its citizens care more about the state being a tax haven than they do being a state that they can be proud of. Nobody wants to pay taxes here. Nobody wants to invest into the state or create a culture. The government they keep electing just continues to screw Flordians over just so the Karens of the world dont have to pay more in taxes. After 20+ years, im out. I hope some great leadership comes to Floridan some day and turns the state around, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,155 times
If Florida is not working for you, your more than welcome to move to Europe, which may better suite you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee