Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM

105 posts, read 353,365 times

Advertisements

If you are a mid-career professional potentially relocating to Tallahassee, Florida, what are the best neighborhoods? Are there rental homes that are not geared towards students? Where do the professors and professionals live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Anywhere near Thomasville/Miccosukee/Centerville Roads, or Southwood. It just depends on your budget and how far from downtown you want to be.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 PM

57 posts, read 848,041 times
Southwood is the up and coming area. It is in the southeast part of town, and features luxury apartments, townhomes, and nice residences. There are plenty for rent there, but things are a little more pricey, but nicer.

Northeast part of town, Killearn area, is older and more established. More homes than townhouses, but I'm sure there are plenty for rent.

Summerbrooke, which is northern part of the city, is all homes in the mid 250k and up.

All depends on what you want to spend. Don't confuse Tallahassee with being "just a college town". The are is large and diverse, and the campuses make up a very small proportion.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 PM

29 posts, read 111,663 times
Default Tallahassee acreage

I was wondering where the good neighborhoods were, too. I had heard the northeast? Also, we are thinking about building a home there. From Google map views Bridle Path Acres looks really nice. We want 2-5 wooded acres in a secluded, private area. Could someone tells us what area that we could find land like that?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:09 AM

57 posts, read 848,041 times
If you are looking at building on a few acres, you will have to look at the northeast and east areas. If you are into horses, check out the Tallahassee Ranch Club. Seems like a really good deal! But the development is in the middle of nowhere. If you are looking for quiet country home, the area would be perfect.

Don't forget to check out Jefferson or Wakulla Counties. Both are kind of rural and have lots of land. Just remember, the farther away you get from the city, the less amenities you have. All depends on what you are looking for.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
If you are a mid-career professional potentially relocating to Tallahassee, Florida, what are the best neighborhoods? Are there rental homes that are not geared towards students? Where do the professors and professionals live?

Think north and east.

Southwood (SE) is OK, and nice and new and shiny, but it's till the southside.

Midtown might be good for you too, if you want to be closer in. There are lots of older, established nice neighborhoods in the midtown area (just north and east of downtown).

To avoid students and their associated mayhem, stay AWAY from Apalachee parkway, Tennessee street, Tharpe and Monroe streets and their nearbly areas (except possibly north Monroe near I-10). The areas around FSU campus are mostly student ghetto, as is a lot of the West End. NW quadrant is scenic but not quite as nicely developed as the NE quadrant.

Check out the areas north of I-10 unless you really feel the need to be able to walk to bars or restaurants, in which case midtown would be better for you.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLucy View Post
I was wondering where the good neighborhoods were, too. I had heard the northeast? Also, we are thinking about building a home there. From Google map views Bridle Path Acres looks really nice. We want 2-5 wooded acres in a secluded, private area. Could someone tells us what area that we could find land like that?
Look around Bradfordville/Roberts road. It runs across northern Tallahassee (I live in this area) and around the east side to the beautiful canopy roads of Centerville and Micosukee. The land in this area is GORGEOUS.

I'm looking to buy some myself, in the Centerville Conservation community just off Roberts on Pisgah Church Road (<--- take a drive here, it's beautiful).

Example: http://cameraartist.com/images/20090226011053_20090221_pisgah_church_road_026.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the advice and the photo. That is gorgeous and just what we had in mind! We are looking to retire soon so want a wooded serene small acreage. I have a picture in my mind of driving up my drive in between a canopy of trees. I love horses and would love to live closeby the farms.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLucy View Post
Thanks for the advice and the photo. That is gorgeous and just what we had in mind! We are looking to retire soon so want a wooded serene small acreage. I have a picture in my mind of driving up my drive in between a canopy of trees. I love horses and would love to live closeby the farms.
There's horses all over the place around Tallahassee. In fact, this is where the Eastern US Olympic Horse Trials are held in the spring (not this year because of budget issues )

Red Hills International Horse Trials - March 5 - 7, 2010

I go every year they have it. Fun!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
There's horses all over the place around Tallahassee. In fact, this is where the Eastern US Olympic Horse Trials are held in the spring (not this year because of budget issues )

Red Hills International Horse Trials - March 5 - 7, 2010

I go every year they have it. Fun!
That does sound like fun! Horses don't get hurt often do they?? I had to stop going to horse races because I saw several break down. Growing up I had a horse and ran barrels and poles.

If we get acreage in NE Tallahassee what type of utilites would we have?
We are thinking if we found land with a small house on it we could have a place to live while we build. Or...can you put some sort of temporary trailer on the property to live in while building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee