U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,555,523 times

Advertisements

City of Tallahassee approves benefits for same-sex partnerships | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

"City Hall chambers erupted in cheers and applause Wednesday after the Tallahassee City Commission unanimously voted to change its benefits policy to include same-sex and domestic partnerships..."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,514,158 times
Nice.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM

8,963 posts, read 7,671,687 times
Meh. I guess if it will pass in Tally, it'll pass just about anywhere now. Not that it really bothers me personally, I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,514,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Meh. I guess if it will pass in Tally, it'll pass just about anywhere now. Not that it really bothers me personally, I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman.
Tallahassee city is strongly democratic and fairly liberal, sometimes drastically different than everything surrounding it like Wakulla and Gadsden counties. Sometimes hard to tell because it serves as a hub for the entire region for jobs and amenities from the coast into south georgia, but the actual people living IN Tallahassee proper is pretty blue.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,459,182 times
Quote:
Marriage is a contract. The problem is, with what they are doing what is to stop someone from saying they are someone's partner to get say health benefits? Sort of like the fake marriages done to get someone into the country. There are a lot of legal entanglements here without an actual legal marriage having taken place.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:

So do I.

I also feel strongly it is not my place to force this model on others, since homosexuals getting married doesn't affect my rights and since we are all supposed to enjoy the equal protection of the laws.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Marriage is a contract. The problem is, with what they are doing what is to stop someone from saying they are someone's partner to get say health benefits? Sort of like the fake marriages done to get someone into the country. There are a lot of legal entanglements here without an actual legal marriage having taken place.
All of these problems disappear with legalized gay marriage. Have that and you can just treat them the same as any married couple.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM

8,284 posts, read 12,731,708 times
^ I would support gay marriage in Florida but that idea was shot down last November. At the very least we should give same sex couples Civil Unions so their partners can get benefits. Many cities in Florida already have these benefits and I really don't think most of Florida is homophobic for the most part. Kudos to Tallahassee!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,459,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
All of these problems disappear with legalized gay marriage. Have that and you can just treat them the same as any married couple.
I am not making any judgment, I just see huge areas for there to be fraud. This has more entanglements then they are letting on. Even after 9/11 there were cases of some guys claiming to be partners of people they never even met to get the money that was being offered. One guy in Fort lauderdale was so greedy, after getting away with it once tried several more times till he got caught. I believe he was convicted and is now in jail.

here is one example.
9/11 CON HID IN PLAIN (WEB) SITE

Trust me sick people will be paying others to say they are their partners so they can get benefits. This is really ripe for fraud.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM

2,996 posts, read 5,349,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
City of Tallahassee approves benefits for same-sex partnerships | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

"City Hall chambers erupted in cheers and applause Wednesday after the Tallahassee City Commission unanimously voted to change its benefits policy to include same-sex and domestic partnerships..."
Shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee