Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 AM

42 posts, read 105,649 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to Tallahassee over the Christmas break. I have a gifted child that is in 7th grade and a child with mild aspergers in 4th grade.

My older child has been through the ringer with schools this past couple years. We moved to a very poor area and my daughter has suffered the brunt of it. It is very important that I find her the right school and then I'll find a way to move to that zone.

She is bright, a competitive swimmer and I'm looking for THE BEST MIDDLE and HIGH SCHOOL in the area. Preferably ones with swim teams, IB or AP classes, plenty of extra curriculars.

My son is in elementary, but I'm more worried about his middle school situation. He is particularly strong in maths/sciences but doesn't test well so I'm not sure if he can get into special programs. He doesn't do well with change.

So - it is very important to me that I get this right the FIRST time.

I know all the school evaluation web sites but I'm hoping for first hand knowledge from parents.

I've only had vague recommendations so far. Someone suggested north of I-10 and near Thomasville Road area. Is that a nice area?

We'd be interested in 4 bedroom/2-3 bath 2-3000 sq ft house. Preferably with pool, but not sure if those are common in this area. We are basically from Palm Beach area but have been living in rural Georgia for the last 2 1/2 years.

I am familiar with ATAC swimming and my daughter will likely join that club immediately.

We will find out if my husband can transfer near Thanksgiving and then would move over Christmas so I have very limited time.

Also, I plan to return to teaching once I get the kids in a good situation and I'm not concerned about husband's commute as much as I am the school situation.

I generally prefer to have shopping close by, plenty of restaurants (independent and chains) etc. Normal middle class living.

I appreaciate ANY advice. Suggestions for good schools and which schools feed into each other would be helpful. I've scoured the website, but it is impossible to really get inforamation that randomly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,124,638 times
Normal middle class living and decent schools = where you have already been told to look.

NE Tallahassee, north of I-10 along the Thomasville Rd. corridor. I live near DeSoto Trail Elementary which is an award winning school. Kids actually WALK to school by themselves in this neighborhood, if you can believe that in this day and age.

It's not the most exciting place to live, but an excellent place to raise a family.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:34 PM

729 posts, read 1,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Normal middle class living and decent schools = where you have already been told to look.

NE Tallahassee, north of I-10 along the Thomasville Rd. corridor. I live near DeSoto Trail Elementary which is an award winning school. Kids actually WALK to school by themselves in this neighborhood, if you can believe that in this day and age.

It's not the most exciting place to live, but an excellent place to raise a family.
Quiet beats exciting any day.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,124,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Quiet beats exciting any day.
I got plenty of excitement in this town as an undergraduate at FSU.

Probably enough for several lifetimes...

Now I just want a nice, green safe place to raise my little girl. So I moved 8 miles north of campus.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,138,149 times
There are plenty of good schools here, but you will have to drive to get to them.

Leon High is a good High School, along with Chiles.

I like Sail as a High School as Well.

Rickards has the IB program, and AP classes are offered at most or all of The area High Schools.

Tallahassee is a spread out city. Neighborhoods are great in midtown, all around town actually.. Giving general advice is really difficult.

I Swam for the Maclay Swim Team which I really enjoyed. Maclay is a private school, (i didnt go here, only was on the swim team) located in the northeast.

Atac practices or used to at myers park near downtown.

Great neighborhoods everywhere, Like I said.

More specifics more answers.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM

42 posts, read 105,649 times
Thanks. I think I have narrowed down to Killearn, Deer Lake and Chiles area. That seems to be getting good recommendations and I've found a few houses that would work that are zoned for those schools.

I don't need exciting. I just want good place to raise two kids.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,340 times
Default Stick w/the Chiles H.S. area

I agree with the north of I-10 advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee