Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 58,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
That you are wrong, that's the point he is making.

Get more than a few miles from campus and the students aren't that much of a factor outside of traffic. Tallahassee is a college town, but it is not dominated by college students in the way a smaller place would be.

city...town.,..who cares
there are a lot of college students in tallahassee. which does affect traffic, nitelife, etc..... to say that the college influence is only limited to campus is absurd. Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Personal Attacks Not Allowed, please watch how you say things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 PM

19 posts, read 58,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyPain View Post
1. It's NOT A town.

2. City population DOES NOT count in the city population, THEY ARE NOT Full time residents.

3. If you would like to include the WHOLE population with the schools, Tallahassee would have 230,000 People. The city has 177,000 people. Not

Thank You
you missed the point entirely..... JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PERMANENT RESIDENTS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE NO INFLUENCE on the town....city....region...principality..territory.. . or whatever tf you wish to call Tallahassee.

THANK YOU

Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaugeEnterprisesLLC View Post

city...town.,..who cares
there are a lot of college students in tallahassee. which does affect traffic, nitelife, etc..... to say that the college influence is only limited to campus is absurd. Moderator cut: Personal Attack
I've lived here for 22+ years, and you think I am the one being dense?

I didn't say it was restricted to campus, but the general area of campus and downtown. Where I live, IN THE CITY LIMITS, there are NO STUDENTS, NO STUDENT TRAFFIC, AND NO STUDENT CULTURE.

Tallahassee is not Gainesville, and if you think it is, you just don't know the city very well.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 AM

18 posts, read 86,314 times
Default Response to GuageEnterprisesLLC and Strel

GuageEnterprisesLLC and Strel, you both raise points about Tallahassee, which I have been looking into more since my previous post ....... which is the topic of what do FSU and FAMU offer to people who are permanent residents of Tallahassee.

For a mature gay couple like my partner and me, who are not into the big city Gay bar scene, but do occasionally like to go to a concert or theater (i.e., it's not a weekly frequent "need" but it's nice to have available when you want to go), the universities do offer the performing arts. I have been checking out the performing arts pages on both university's websites. Yes, it's in a smaller university presentation by students, faculty and a few visiting artists or small groups scheduled in each year and not by large professional groups in big city arenas or theaters. But it seems that you are both right in that you can probably live in the northern areas of Tallahassee without really "feeling" the presence of the downtown universities or you can take advantage of the performing arts (or sports) that they offer and experience the "college town" part of Tallahassee.

Looking at the new growth in the northeastern suburbs of Tallahassee, the city looks to be similar to Austin, TX about twenty years ago before Austin went through explosive growth in its downtown and metro-population. Austin offers a mid-size city lifestyle today and has a large university that is only a part of it and not a dominant part like UF is in Gainsville. Having not lived in Tallahassee, I am guessing from what we have seen so far that Tallahassee is just now at that cross over point between being a Gainsville/UF and becoming a Austin/UT. Tallahassee is not yet big enough to offer performing arts and professional sports separate from FSU and FAMU, but the metro lifestyle is no longer dominated by the two universities either. Whether it makes the transition will depend on whether there is further grow and influx of non-university industry.

We're pretty happy and surprised to find out that many people in Tallahassee claim to be "liberal" with a bit of pride when they say it. We've checked out the voting statistics on Tally and >60% are registered Democrat voters ..... and the news of the Tally city council's vote to provide domestic partner benefits was a big surprise when we heard about it. There are probably many people like us around the country (and in Florida) who don't know the real Tallahassee.

Allen

Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenAtlanta View Post
We've checked out the voting statistics on Tally and >60% are registered Democrat voters ..... and the news of the Tally city council's vote to provide domestic partner benefits was a big surprise when we heard about it. There are probably many people like us around the country (and in Florida) who don't know the real Tallahassee.
Just to note for a bit of perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Democrats
Southern Democrats are members of the U.S. Democratic Party who reside in the American South. In the early 1800s, they were the definitive pro-slavery wing of the party, opposed to both the anti-slavery Republicans (GOP) and the more liberal Northern Democrats. After losing control of their party and territory in the American Civil War, and during the Republican-led Reconstruction that followed, Southern Democrats regrouped into various vigilante organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan and the White League.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 PM

18 posts, read 86,314 times
Default Response to Housingcrashsurvivor

Housingcrashsurvivor, you really should have read the entire Wikipedia article, becausing quoting history only up through the end of the 19th century is silly. During the 1960's and the Lyndon Johnson Presidency, Johnson and the national Democrat Party passed the most sweeping set of civil rights legislation in U.S. history. Their actions outraged southern Democrats (the racists and bigots you described) who abandoned the Democrat Party in the early 1970's and joined the Republican Party, making the Republican Party dominant in the Old South. Their departure from the southern Democrat Party left mainly moderates and liberals in the southern Democrat Party, who are the Southern Democrats today in 2010. So next time you want to quote history, please tell the whole story (at least the part dealing with the late 20th and early 21st century), because the people you are responding to might just have a better knowledge and understanding of the subject matter than you!

Fact: the vast majority of southern racists and bigots belong to the Republican Party.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 AM

Hostile much? Do you seriously think those democrats are on your side from the other side of the voting curtain? Guess that explains why gays can't even adopt children in Florida, never mind marry. Ya, you must be right though so thanx for your rather gruff response to my post.

ps: Since you are so concerned with recent history, as of 2008, according to the FL Div of Elections we had 4.38 million democrats and 3.92 million republicans. Yet as to the number of states in the USA which categorically deny gays the right to adopt? That would be one, Florida. So much for your southern democrats, your history lesson and your quickness to judge the comments of others.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 01-28-2010 at 01:56 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Hostile much? Do you seriously think those democrats are on your side from the other side of the voting curtain? Guess that explains why gays can't even adopt children in Florida, never mind marry. Ya, you must be right though so thanx for your rather gruff response to my post.

ps: Since you are so concerned with recent history, as of 2008, according to the FL Div of Elections we had 4.38 million democrats and 3.92 million republicans. Yet as to the number of states in the USA which categorically deny gays the right to adopt? That would be one, Florida. So much for your southern democrats, your history lesson and your quickness to judge the comments of others.
His assessment of your post was correct.

And the situation in Florida regarding gays isn't because of modern Southern Democrats, but because of modern Southern Republicans.

So basically, you had no point to your post except to throw out some history which a) doesn't apply and b) we all knew anyway.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Right, that explains why we've still no rights to marry or adopt in Florida even though there's 11% more democrats (even the suthon ones) than republicans. Dream on. Perhaps you've found more rights in the land of denial.

My post was not a history lesson but a reminder that the south is still the south, no matter how many democrats you count. When it comes to gay issues, they do not vote their party, rather, probably, they vote their religion. I haven't done a proper survey on this but it stands to reason that if they voted their party then we'd have rights by now--for we have the majority--yet we do not have the rights that the rest of humanity enjoys.

So what else might it be if not the political party to which people lay claim. Religion, perhaps? Lets have a look at the character of the area...

Here is city data on Tallahassee https://www.city-data.com/city/Tallahassee-Florida.html#ixzz0dxv4RdCC

Here's Fort Lauderdale https://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Lauderdale-Florida.html#ixzz0dxvPsGqu

and here's West Palm Beach https://www.city-data.com/city/West-Palm-Beach-Florida.html#ixzz0dxvWjAS2

Now take a second before you go all judgy on me and look at the character of Tallahassee as compared to other places in Florida, like south Florida, and tell me you don't find more anti-gay religion there. Perhaps they are not such pro gay democrats afterall. And I don't care how polite they might be to you when you have them over for tea in your acceptance on the surface subdivision. What matters is how they vote away from your table. So someone here in the sunshine state is not voting to treat us as 100% human beings. And it is not just the republicans. They don't have the votes.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 01-28-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Moderator cut: Leave out the Personal Attacks about how the Republicans gerrymandered the voting districts down here after the 2000 census? They carefully structured it to keep themselves in power, and while it's possible to go the citizen petition route for ballot initiatives, it's about 50 times easier to get something passed or revoked if it's your party in charge.

As for gay rights and rank and file Floridians, a lot of it comes down to people just not really being motivated to make a change. They're a self-centered lot who is easily distracted and usually not overly political as long as the roads are in good repair and taxes are kept low. The long-standing rumors about Charlie Crist didn't hurt his campaign for governor, and are the least of his problems in his current Senate run.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee