Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 AM

18 posts, read 86,250 times

Advertisements

[quote=sjr79;13011548]I've lived in Tallahassee 12 year after moving here from Nebraska, it's an alright place, but club life in Tallahassee is waning dramatically QUOTE]

Hi sjr79. Gay club life is waning in many U.S. cities, including Atlanta .... the effect of an exploding number of personals websites on the internet and STD's. Many of my Gay single friends in Atlanta say it's occasionally fun to go out to the bars to dance, but it's just easier to "shop from home" online then spend lots of money on cheap liquor in a smoke filled bar. With all the interactive Gay personals websites and with more and more Gays staying in long term relationships, I think Gay culture is far less dependent these days on bars as places to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Default To Allen Atlanta

You couldn't have summed it up better. When I wish to meet up with someone now, I merely put a free ad on Craigs List, and bingo! Works every time!

Don't have to fork out money for an over-priced drink at the bars, don't have to deal with all the game-playing and cliques, and I don't have to worry about getting a DUI on the way home.

Gay people can be found just about anywhere, any number of closet cases sitting around in straight bars. Nowadays, I increasily patronize either of the 6 straight bars within walking distance of my house.

I don't miss Gay bars at all. If they want to survive, they need to get more creative in luring people back to them.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You couldn't have summed it up better. When I wish to meet up with someone now, I merely put a free ad on Craigs List, and bingo! Works every time!

Don't have to fork out money for an over-priced drink at the bars, don't have to deal with all the game-playing and cliques, and I don't have to worry about getting a DUI on the way home.

Gay people can be found just about anywhere, any number of closet cases sitting around in straight bars. Nowadays, I increasily patronize either of the 6 straight bars within walking distance of my house.

I don't miss Gay bars at all. If they want to survive, they need to get more creative in luring people back to them.
In other words, they're doing what straight people do. They're going mainstream.

Some people are going to not like this at all. LOL

Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,585 times
I will say that RAYN is definitely a club to go to. There is another one that is opening where JADE used to be. As for areas of town, any area except french town should be ok. As for religious life, there are at LEAST seven LGBT affirming churches, and a synagogue. I have visited most of them, and am happy at the one I go to now, which co-sponsored the PRIDEFEST, which was run by the Family Tree (the tallahassee lgbt community center), and FSU Pride, of which i am a member. Hope that helps some.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I know this isn't a gay retirement thread, but it is written by people in their 50's. So perhaps they can relate to this concern. Someone in thier 50's whether they be gay or st8 has to face the facts. In a few years they are 60 and then 70 and hopefully on an on. Our actions in our 50's have to be taken very seriously, as they greatly affect our lifes as we get older. In our 50's we can't correct mistakes like we could in our 20's and 30's. A mistake in such an age group cannot always be fixed and can have dire consequences. That is why moving to an unfamiliar area in later years has to be taken so seriously.

With that said. The topic of this thread is Gay life in Tally for older crowd (non-student). There were some good responses and info on this thread but the fact remains "Older Crowd". Hopefully the older gay crowd has thoughts beyond bars as the barometer of gay life in an area. I'm thinking they do. There is so much to consider for the person as they get older when choosing thier location. For a gay person it can be considerably more difficult, because of the discrimination in this country both by the st8 and gay communities. The majority of gay populations in America are very youth oriented, and the issue of the older gay person in this country has barely been addressed. Many just don't care. Many older gays have suffered because of this. Social Isolation. Way to many organizations and marketing is only for that younger gay person. Bars were the usual ways to meet, now its the gay meetup groups on the internet. Those are not for every older gay person and we know why. Im guessing in Tallahassee the local churches would be the better way to meet other older gays in a comfortable setting. But someone has to have an interest in going to church.
I know their is a Prime Timers organization for 50 and over gay men in the area. I don't know if it is still an active chapter or has a strong member base. I have been told by other gay men that have lived in the area, that Tally is very closeted for not all but many older gay people.

An older gay person needs to make sure there are options to meet and socialize with other gay and st8 people in various age groups. Especially thier own age group. In person in a comfortable enviroment. They also have to know it is very likely many older st8 people will not accept them no matter how friendly they are. I know it has happened to me in this so called liberal Portland. Its a miserable and lonely feeling but it happens. At some point no matter what ones social or income status is, they will need others in their community for moral support as they age. I don't think the younger population is going to, or can be expected to provide the friendships the older crowd will need. In many places they will not get it if the population is dominated by young people or older st8 people and thier organizations.

My point is I think Tallahassee could be a difficult city for the older gay person that has no family or contacts there. No past and no reference to life there, its culture and its difference from where they originate from. Maybe it would work but will it, could it. I hope it can. Especially the person that is not considering the future. In thier 50's they are just a few years down the road from being on Social Security. An older gay person has to have options in a st8 world, and that may mean living in a larger community than Tallahassee with more options for that older gay person. More options than a lack of gay bars or not enough museums. There is a whole lot more to consider when choosing where to live beyond 50. I wish it wasn't so. Heaven forbid there are more choices than gay meetup websites.

For the older gay crowd in Tallahasse that has their needs met I am happy for them.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,322 times
We're a gay couple in our 50's and we've been living in Tallahassee for 3 years. We've never encountered any problems going out to restaurants or anything. My partner always says "honey" without thinking about it and so far all we've gotten are smiles. It's a laid back town and can seem boring but there are lots of cultural events centered around the FSU campus.

The nice thing about Tallahassee is its proximity to Destin, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc. The coast just south of here is more rustic and is quite nice with lots of places to hike (when it's not too hot and humid). It's easy to get to the nice beaches west of Panama City - a 2 1/2 hour drive. There are a lot of art festivals nearby and some are very high quality, especially the Pensacola festival in November, which brings in some great artists.

I've lived in Boston, New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco and I'm glad I went to all the concerts and museums I did because that's not Tallahassee's strong point, but it is a beautiful area. Just be prepared for the heat, humidity and mosquitoes!! Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,861 times
I am an older lesbian. Who just moved to T allahassee and trying to meet other lesbians in my age group, I am having no luck at all. Is there anyone who might know where I could go to socialize with other beautiful woman from 40 to Mid 50's.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Try looking on Okcupid.com

Also, try WaterWorks the bar.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,407 times
My partner and I also recently moved to Tallahassee and are older lesbians and have not been able to find the gay community. Where is a good place to meet other older gays?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Well since it is a college town I'm pretty sure its hard trying to find people your age but maybe you should meetup.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee