Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Please leave out personal attacks what did gerrymandering have to do with 62% of Florida electorate voting, all on their own, for the so-called Marriage Protection constitutional amendment?

Almost 7.5 million people came out to vote on that one in a state with 8.3 million registered voters (d & r, not including ind). Check my math for me, will ya, is that 90% of the electorate who came out to vote? Is that a super majority of they who voted against gay rights in a state with an easy majority of democrats? Yeah, I guess I'm utterly clueless and I guess they are not so lazy for matters that really matter. After all, you wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to be rude, to try and put someone in their place, nor to strip someone of their humanity. I hope you are all feeling better, feeling superior, feeling, almost hetero now.

Stop fooling yourselves. It is not just republicans. The enemy is within.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I just get annoyed when a complex issue with a complex history get distilled into 'everyone X is universally bad' and if you agree with me 100% you're bad too, which seemed like where the discussion was getting hijacked to.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Well, that certainly excuses poor behavior.

All I warned, in regard to any of this and directly in response to someone asking a question about being gay and moving to the south, is don't let sheep's clothing fool you. Anything else any of you made of that, is all the doings of your own internal struggles and you had neither cause nor right to lay them in attack upon me.

So I would also note to the op that even though you might find some good measure of liberalism within Tallahassee, that north Florida is still the south and as the weather can be unpredictable in Florida, know that the climate might quickly change when crossing city limits.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Why are you people so rude?

And while you're trying to figure that out, what did gerrymandering have to do with 62% of Florida electorate voting, all on their own, for the so-called Marriage Protection constitutional amendment?

Almost 7.5 million people came out to vote on that one in a state with 8.3 million registered voters (d & r, not including ind). Check my math for me, will ya, is that 90% of the electorate who came out to vote? Is that a super majority of they who voted against gay rights in a state with an easy majority of democrats? Yeah, I guess I'm utterly clueless and I guess they are not so lazy for matters that really matter. After all, you wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to be rude, to try and put someone in their place, nor to strip someone of their humanity. I hope you are all feeling better, feeling superior, feeling, almost hetero now.

And of course, the obligatory allegation that your opponents in this debate must be homosexual.

Moderator cut: Please leave out the Personal Attacks

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-29-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Please leave out personal attacks what did gerrymandering have to do with 62% of Florida electorate voting, all on their own, for the so-called Marriage Protection constitutional amendment?

For the record. I attacked nobody. What the mod cut of my post was simply my quoting beachmouse's attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And of course, the obligatory allegation that your opponents in this debate must be homosexual.

Moderator cut: Please leave out the Personal Attacks
Gee, sorry I didn't get to read your personal attack and sadly I am unable to discern whatever it is you are trying to say by that mention of some allegation. Would you care to be civil and say what you mean so that it might be understood?

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 01-29-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 PM

18 posts, read 86,273 times
Default To Housingcrashsurvivor

I corrected you, Housingcrashsurvivor on your attempt to portray the Democrat Party of 2010 as the same Democrat Party of the mid to late 19th century. It is well know and accepted by social scientists, because it is supported by facts, that the southern Democrat Party lost huge numbers of registered voters in the 1960's and 1970's who opposed civil rights legislation to the Republican Party. These same people today form the core of ultra-conservatives who oppose civil rights for Gays in Florida and in every other state in the U.S.

No, I am not naive in believing that most people claiming to be Democrats would or do support civil rights for Gays for the very reasons that you gave ..... but if given the choice of living among a bunch of ultra-conservative Republicans (who are proud to publicly state that it is better to be dead than Gay) or a bunch of moderate to "slightly right of center" Democrats, who are generally somewhat tolerate of differences, I will choose the latter Democrats every time!

The only Republican that I ever really liked was Barry Goldwater and even he became disgusted with the Republicans of today for good reasons!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenAtlanta View Post
I corrected you, Housingcrashsurvivor on your attempt to portray the Democrat Party of 2010 as the same Democrat Party of the mid to late 19th century.
Incorrect. I never held such intention. As I already stated, but will state again for clarification, I was simply hinting (in fun--my mistake, obviously) that Tallahassee is still the south. It was a hint, not either a treatise nor even a declaration as much as you care to characterize it as such to justify your own over-reaction to it, to temper the view that a democrat in the deep south will feel the same about gay rights as a democrat in a truly more liberal area such as south Florida, keeping the character of Florida's different regions in mind, because likely they will not.

Anything else you made of that is what you made of that all on your own. It is what you saw in the painting but not what I had in mind when all I did was splash a little color onto an otherwise idyllic southern scene which I felt did not look quite right in black and white.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 01-30-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 PM

18 posts, read 86,273 times
Default Response to Housingcrashsurvivor

Quote:
Anything else you made of that is what you made of that all on your own. It is what you saw in the painting but not what I had in mind when all I did was splash a little color onto an otherwise idyllic southern scene which I felt did not look quite right in black and white.

On the contrary housingcrashsurvivor, the original post on this thread was an honest enquiry from a gay couple in Connecticut asking about the gay lifestyle in Tallahassee, because they were considering a move. My partner and I have been exploring and experiencing Tallahassee as potential "newbie" immigrants from the gay mecca of the South, Atlanta, and I posted a comment trying to share my own experiences and perceptions of Tallhassee with the couple from Connecticut.

Decisions about picking one's life up from one city and moving to another need to be made as clearly as possible .... meaning as black and white as possible in the information gathered and used in the decision making. I was trying to describe my own surprise at finding Tallahassee a bit more accepting of gays than I expected (based on the general reputation of northern Florida) especially with the city council having passed domestic partner benefits. My reference to the majority of Tallahassee voters being registered Democrats in 2010 had nothing to do with the Democrat Party of the 1800's and slavery. You can certainly refer to your own response and comments as a "splash" if you want to, but I think it is a far reach to describe it as "color".

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,048 times
I've lived in Tallahassee 12 year after moving here from Nebraska, it's an alright place, but club life in Tallahassee is waning dramatically Which isn't a huge deal to my partner and I, as for Club Rayn, it's a nice place, but it's still a predominately straight bar. As for being bother in town for being gay? Nor really, I've maybe only had one instance where I was bothered and it was extremely minor by some high school girls in a mall. Over all Tallahassee is pretty calm, with some good places throughout to visit and dine. I went as far as to actually purchase a condo in town making it officially "home".

Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I read this thread by eric1234. Unless he received and corresponded by private email, he never replied to any of these posts. I wonder if he decided the area was not a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee