U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 17,684 times

Advertisements

Hello --

My husband, two small children and I will be relocating to Tallahassee next month for a job at FSU. We have lived in some great cities (Boston, San Francisco) and would love to know about any unique places that are worth putting on our to-do list when we get there -- restaurants, shops, public spaces, or even groups to connect with (we are liberal, creative, open-minded, laid-back, non-materialistic).

We're looking for a place to live as well and I've been doing extensive research on neighborhoods, etc. As much as we'd like to get the tax credit, I'm afraid of rushing into buying not knowing areas super well, so we'll probably rent.

A couple of rental communities have the amenities we are looking for (London Town, Arbor Station) but we are somewhat loath to rent in a complex at this stage in life. Yet renting a house in a reasonable price range seems to mean either live in a great house in a crappy neighborhood or a crappy house in a great neighborhood or something similar. I don't want to live out in the sticks but it seems like you can't live decently in/near downtown unless you're wealthy. Thoughts on Appalachee Pkwy area? There seem to be some good deals out that way. Any suggestions would be welcome; also, is there a sense that home sales are still stagnant, picking up etc. -- and what about rentals...?

Finally, any thoughts on the energy/vibe in Tallahassee at this point in time? Is there a sense of optimism? community? progressivism? are people friendly? materialistic? open-minded? snobbish? (I know of course there are all types, everywhere -- but I mean an overall sense of the place and its energy...). Just wondering what to expect!

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,591,057 times
People in Tallahassee are generally laid back and friendly... Its a very family oriented city so you should fit right in.

You will want to make a trip during the summer to swim and visit Wakulla Springs state park. It is about 15 miles south of Tallahassee and has boat rides and a swimming area. Its a classic.

St Marks Wildlife Refuge is definately a must as well. You can go fishing, boating, bird watching, biking and hiking.. Beautiful day trip... its about 20 miles away as well.

Closest beach is St George Island which is a Tallahassee Staple, just take 319 south to highway 98 and 1.5 hours your there.

Tallahassee JR. Museum or History and Natural Science-- Is a sort of Zoo. It has local animals and florida native animals.

Imax Center Downtown with Planetarium

Go to the top of the Capital for a view from the top floor (22 stories)

Tallahassee has great parks!

and Greenways! Great for Biking, Hiking, Horseback riding. Miccosukee Greenway Jl Alford Greenway.

You will not want to live near Downtown or the Universities, this is where the students live.

Try the Midtown areas

Betton Hills (expensive)

Killearn,

Lakeshore Area

People are what makes a place, and the people here are the best Ive ever found. You have such a variety of interests and cultures, from liberals to alternative lifestyle, you will find somewhere to fit in.

Tallahassee Restaurants that are favorites are Food Glorious Food, Masa by Lucie Hoes, some others..

The community is progressive in pretty much every area. We are progressive in our green initiative and our environmental standards.

Tallahassee has beautiful trees, We love our trees.

We have 5 protected canopy roads which are great for drives, pictures etc.

A Short drive north on Thomasville Rd. (25 miles) gets you to Thomasville Georgia. The georgia Line is only 15 miles north of Tallahassee.

Makes for nice day trips to Georgia.

The midtown area is really up and coming for shopping, and eating, We are also in the midst of a revitalization to a corridor known as Gaines Street that connects the downtown to the universities... it is being transformed into a entertainment/ living district..

and a Large Downtown park Cascades park will be completed in a year or so.

So there is a lot to love, and a lot to look forward to.

Tallahassee is a great place to call home and you will love it.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 63,297 times
While on the topic, what's the closest airport to tallahassee? I know that TLH exists. But from what I can see, it doesn't look like it's much of an airport. I can't find any direct flights there. Is it a hopper airport like the one in Gainesville

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM
TD*

Tallahasssee's Airport is just fine.. It has direct flights to most florida major cities, and outside the state 5 or 6 destinations.

Are you from West Palm Beach? they are adding seasonal direct flights to from west palm to Tallahassee in February.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

24 posts, read 63,297 times
That's great news. I look forward to visiting in February!
I know Tally is still Florida, but it ain't SFL.
I was speaking to a career FDLE agent a few weeks ago. He moved to Tally from Tampa back in the 70's and hasn't looked back. And just about everyone that I talk to who has spent time there would go back in a heartbeat if they could. Unfortunately, reality keeps them tethered to this area.

Wow. Just checked continental...TLH has expensive flights. And some of the connectors take forever. 8 hours to fly from Tallahassee to Norfolk VA. For a fare in July it's like $400

Last edited by ByeByeHeat; 01-21-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeHeat View Post
That's great news. I look forward to visiting in February!
I know Tally is still Florida, but it ain't SFL.
I was speaking to a career FDLE agent a few weeks ago. He moved to Tally from Tampa back in the 70's and hasn't looked back. And just about everyone that I talk to who has spent time there would go back in a heartbeat if they could. Unfortunately, reality keeps them tethered to this area.

Wow. Just checked continental...TLH has expensive flights. And some of the connectors take forever. 8 hours to fly from Tallahassee to Norfolk VA. For a fare in July it's like $400
The airport is a great airport, It does lack direct flights, so if your going north or west you will need to change planes in Dallas/Fort Worth, Atlanta, or Charlotte.

Other than that the airport is Extremely convenient. The parking is very close in.. The waits are basically non existent, and its very clean.

The nice thing about having a smaller airport is that you dont have long lines and confusing terminals.

Anyways, we look forward to your visit!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,730,953 times
To the OP...

I would stay away from LondonTown. There are some families there, but it's mostly all college students. There are some great places off Apalachee Pkwy. You should look into the neighborhood (I think it's called Indian Head) between Magnolia and Blairstone just south of Apalachee. It's kind of a liberal artsy community with lots of families.

Definitely visit and explore before you move, and like you said, rent first and get to know the different areas before you buy.

As a very general rule, the North and East parts of town are better than the South and West, but there are exceptions of course.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:13 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,037,872 times
Tallahassee is a nice town in many ways, but I'm not sure if you'll find what you're looking for in terms of culture. "Funky" and "unique" aren't words I'd apply to the city.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 PM

51 posts, read 60,960 times
I live in the Sf Bay Area. I have been all over FL - all over. I have friends and family throughout the state and I can honestly say Tallahassee is one of my favorites. It is more "Southern Georgia" than "Northern Florida". Wakulla Springs and the Wacissa River are both sweet. St. George's Island is awesome too. TLH is a fine airport, easy connection from ATL for me coming from CA. It's another world, compared to West Palm. It's a slower pace (but then ALL of FL is "slower paced" compared to what I'm used to) of life, but I find that people are more friendly in true "Southern" style.

The one thing that I discouraged me from relocating: lack of high-paying jobs. Plus, being a CA lawyer, I'm not to thrilled to take the FL bar exam and start all over in my career.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 AM

57 posts, read 828,037 times
In my opinion, the airport is not practical for middle class Tallahasseeans. With no discount carriers, your choices are limited to Delta, UA, and Continental. Only other major cities with direct is Charlotte, Washington DC, Atlanta, and now Dallas. Most citizens determine it is cheaper to drive to Jacksonville to fly out. And with the opening of the new international airport in Panama City, Tallahassee Regional will just get worse! I read somewhere that air traffic at the airport is down!

Tallahassee would be a near perfect city with a quality airport. I love living here, but it really does hold us back. It is a nice airport as far as quickness and parking, but the price is just too much. It is a shame that don't get Jetblue, Airtran, or Southwest to come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee