U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Biracial family - best places to live in Florida?
Tallahassee 3 21.43%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Orlando 3 21.43%
Tampa 1 7.14%
Miami 4 28.57%
Cape Coral 1 7.14%
St Petersburg 0 0%
Fort Lauderdale 7 50.00%
Hialeah 1 7.14%
Port St Lucie 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 15,599 times

Advertisements

thanks to everyone adding to this thread... we just got back from a lovely holiday in orlando...(bar the manic disney resort/universal studios it was quite a nice place.) but now our laptop is broken, so i have to use public computers or the ones at school, so my usage time is limited!
i'll reply StillTheSame and my fellow brit-on-the-way-to-florida when the laptop is fixed!
oh, Strel, by 'culture shock,' do you mean that tally isn't that diverse? sorry to sound naive - but i've only been to miami and orlando, so my experience of tally is only what my parents thought of it when they visited friends. they liked it, but they're not our age and don't have mixed race children, so of course their opinions might not be ours when we go visit. so, is tally 'closed,' as in closed minded community? or not many people of colour/mixed backgrounds (especially not in positions of power/good jobs?) would love to get your opinion...
a brief answer to StillTheSame - yes, it's mainly because of the weather....my parents have also started considering altlanta, GA now too....but we're not sure about fitting in there....
x
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,898,392 times
I'm guessing Strel probably meant "culture shock" for a general move from London (world-class city) to Tallahassee. London has millions of people, extensive public transportation, one of the business/financial centers of the world, etc. Tallahassee does not.

Not a knock again TLH itself - very few cities can boast that. But some people have a difficult time adjusting to a much slower pace and smaller scale if you're accustomed to a large city.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,723,603 times
The culture shock coming from anywhere in the UK to Tallahassee would be noticeable, but not necessarily bad. Tallahassee is, I think, the eighth-largest city in the state, but you'd never guess that because it is very spread out and doesn't have too many tall buildings. Whereas I'm sure it can take hours to drive from one end of London to another, it can be done in Tallahassee usually in about twenty to forty minutes. I don't know how it is in London, but most places in Tallahassee close down early compared to other American cities and some places still close on Sundays. These aren't bad things, but you'll notice it if you're used to stuff like that.

Tallahassee doesn't have the same sort of mass transit like London, though I'm sure that's obvious. Tallahassee has a bus system that I find to be very convenient and reliable. One bad thing about the city is that it seems relatively isolated from other large cities. The airport is small and only offers a few flights to regional cities. Sometimes the fares are more expensive than similar flights from bigger cities.

I wouldn't really worry about race here. 1/3 of Tallahassee's population is black and I believe the mayor is biracial. Tallahassee isn't as segregated as other Florida cities, but there are definite black and white neighborhoods. I think this has to do with peoples' comfort zones and sense of identity. There is plenty of mingling in public places like stores and at public events. I don't think a biracial family would have any problem here.

Tallahassee is the state capital and is home to one of the state's first-tier universities, Florida State, as well as a historically black college, FAMU. All three of these things set Tallahassee apart from other cities in Florida.

You mentioned that you've visited Orlando and Miami. Well, you can disregard any notions of Florida that you have from those places. Tallahassee doesn't have the crime or sprawl like those cities, but it also doesn't have all of the same amenities or conveniences. Tallahassee can get very cold (compared to Florida standards), is hilly, and is landlocked.

Just come up for a few days and check it out. It's not for everyone, but you may like it.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 9,514,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesunflower View Post
thanks to everyone adding to this thread... we just got back from a lovely holiday in orlando...(bar the manic disney resort/universal studios it was quite a nice place.) but now our laptop is broken, so i have to use public computers or the ones at school, so my usage time is limited!
i'll reply StillTheSame and my fellow brit-on-the-way-to-florida when the laptop is fixed!
oh, Strel, by 'culture shock,' do you mean that tally isn't that diverse? sorry to sound naive - but i've only been to miami and orlando, so my experience of tally is only what my parents thought of it when they visited friends. they liked it, but they're not our age and don't have mixed race children, so of course their opinions might not be ours when we go visit. so, is tally 'closed,' as in closed minded community? or not many people of colour/mixed backgrounds (especially not in positions of power/good jobs?) would love to get your opinion...
a brief answer to StillTheSame - yes, it's mainly because of the weather....my parents have also started considering altlanta, GA now too....but we're not sure about fitting in there....
x

As the others said, my comment was more about someone moving from a major world city in Europe to a sleepy political capitol and college town in the Southern US. It's going to be different, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Tallahassee has no heavy industry and I can walk across "downtown" in 8-10 minutes. Our idea of a traffic jam would probably make you laugh.

Tallahassee, I would say, is not all that diverse, but very tolerant and accepting regardless of demographics.

Please don't believe all the stereotypes you may have been exposed to regarding the South...it's not like Gone with the Wind or the Dukes of Hazzard (well, maybe just a little).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee