Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 41,155 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to Tallahassee after living in Alabama the past 7 years. Southwood was just getting off the ground when we left and we are wondering how that area has developed. We are empty nesters that will be retiring in the next 3-5 years and really liked the community within a community concept at Southwood but wanted to get some comments from those who have been or are now residents. We don't want a retirement area but don't want to be the only 55+ in the neighborhood either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 AM

57 posts, read 848,061 times
I am a Southwood resident, and have been for 4 years now. We rented a townhome first, and purchased a home 2 years ago. We are are a young working couple with a newborn, so my opinions may differ from those of an older crowd.

Southwood continues to grow, but of course it slowed a lot when the economy took a downward spiral. There has been a lot of recent residential homes built, and they are just about completed building in the original planned areas. Overall I would say it is about 65% built up.

-Pros

We absolutely love the community and close knit feel that you have. We know all of our neighbors, and our kids all play together. Its kinda cool to have middle family homes down the street from million dollar mansions, and small townhomes.

The sidewalks, trails, lake, etc are amazing. You can take a new bath each days and end up somewhere new.

Pool is great, and we spend a lot of time there. Of course there is lots of kids, so again depending on your age and preference.

Several very nice daycares/preschools have opened.

Neighborhood schools where most can walk to school each day

Property values have stayed pretty steady

-Cons

I am going to be a little knit picky, but some stuff we were told still hasn't panned out.

Lack of commerical and dining. The towncenter has been a huge disappointment. Located in the center of the community, it is finally starting to get some new tennants. Currently there is a Subway, Southern style breakfast place, YMCA, nail place, and insurance company. They are in process of opening a new seafood place. 2nd phase of town center never opened. Now there is a large shopping center with a Publix nearby with a starbucks, suntrust, burger king, barbershop, etc. You won't recognize Capital Circle for sure. It is 6 lanes now to Woodville Hwy, and state offices and courthouse line the street. There is a slated Target/Lowe's in the area that will be built sometime in the near future. You always hear of things coming, but many havent panned out.

4 years ago, Southwoods "Art of Living" program was great. This was the program that hosted large community events like 4th of July, Halloween, front porch Fridays, etc. There are only a few community events now that are solely for community members. I think a lot of this has to do with HOA fees being down, and not as much money for such things. But overall, they have great community events! Check out the Southwood website to see some examples.

We were told that a new pool and a Middle School/High School were to be built in the near future. Neither has happened. I'm sure again it deals with economy decline, but if things keep building, I would assume it would go.

St. Joe has had a lot of issues lately, and at times it seems as if Southwood is no longer a priority, and their properties in Panama City/Destin are.

Overall I love living in Southwood, and think its an amazing place to raise a family. As for empty nesters, it all depends on what you enjoy doing for fun. If you have grandkids over a lot, seems like a great place. If you don't mind the pool being busy. If you are into fitness or golf, it is also great! (even though they no longer give discounts to Southwood residents)

Try coming and staying at the Southwood cottages in the community. Not sure what they cost, but you can stay and take a lookat the community and all the model homes. If you haven't been here in 7 years, you won't recognize the area at all!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,055 times
Off topic a little bit, but Southwood was one of St. Joe's more successful projects. Joe has sold all of its desirable properties in NW Florida (places like Southwood and the properties directly on the beach in the Destin area) and is now holding on to developments that will remain vacant for a dozen or more years. Some of that land is probably worth more as timber than as developed land ... time for them to go back to their original business.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
I lived in Southwood for two years.... purchased and sold a townhome just at the right time, thankfully.

I really enjoyed the neighborhood, the walks/runs along the lake, the community pool. Never felt unsafe, and amenities were all within a short drive. It's been.... 4 years... since I lived there, and I imagine much has changed.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 8,620 times
Default southwood is poorly managed

The taxes are much higher than most of Leon county and the association has hired a full time compliance officer who rides around in a golf cart harassing people all day long. That is what you get for the 1K plus in yearly homeowner dues along with silly community events no one attends.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Southwood is great for some people, not for others.

I would never live there. I dont like HOA's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee