Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM

173 posts, read 389,261 times

Advertisements

Was hanging out on a friend's patio (unscreened) last night... got bitten several times on my bare legs by some kind of medium sized biting fly.

These areas are now itching and sensitive, as well as slightly red and swollen. Obviously, I'll be wearing pants tonight.. but is there something to treat these?

I've been down here for two years, but this is a first.

Can anyone help with a treatment? vinegar? baking soda? OTC medicine? Sudafed helped some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,956,596 times
Ice and rubbing alcohol . sounds like sandfleas instead of flying bugs .

Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM

173 posts, read 389,261 times
I was shooing them away, looked a bit like a small wasp... but no sting. Then the itching started... The worst is a bite behind my knee.... arghh.. I finally got some bug spray from my host.. then they started biting the backs of my arms..

Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,056,040 times
Sounds like either yellow flies or horse fly. They both hurt and leave welts

EENY-028/IN155: Deer Flies, Yellow Flies and Horse Flies, Chrysops, Diachlorus, and Tabanus spp. (Insecta: Diptera: Tabanidae)

Old 06-11-2010, 05:21 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,635,298 times
Those things are vicious! My friend always get bit by them. She then gets an infection. You don't know you have been bit until they have nibbled on you several times. It itches and stings like crazy. She always puts neosporin on it, but still the bit gets infected. The skin turns deep red and feels hot to the touch.

They are so fast! If you try to swat them, they are long gone!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,309,306 times
I was bitten on the legs a couple years ago at Disney on their putt-putt course and the results were terrible. I thought I was going to end up at the hospital. The bites became inflammed, bruised, and were extremely painful and made my legs actually painful. I could not stand on my legs one night. I can tell you....baking soda and water paste on them is what I did along with cold compresses and followed it with cortizone and neosporine. I also took oral Benadryl as well.

We were there for a weekend vacation. I was determined not to let my daughter down. My efforts paid off, but I have to tell you. I really was close to ending up in the ER. I felt THAT bad and the bites on both legs were so bad that I literally could not walk one night. I watched for red lines from the bites thinking I had to have a blood infection. Luckily,that didn't happen. These insects were black flies, ?? Deer flies?? but at Disneyworld in FLA???? Not sure what they were, but I can tell you...they were vicious!!! They didn't bite my daughter once, however they bit my legs all over and we were playing putt putt together. They sure loved me!

Good luck to you!!! Hope some of my suggestions will help you. Keep a watch for red lines...that is a sure fire sign to GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:33 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,160,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
I was bitten on the legs a couple years ago at Disney on their putt-putt course and the results were terrible. I thought I was going to end up at the hospital. The bites became inflammed, bruised, and were extremely painful and made my legs actually painful. I could not stand on my legs one night. I can tell you....baking soda and water paste on them is what I did along with cold compresses and followed it with cortizone and neosporine. I also took oral Benadryl as well.

We were there for a weekend vacation. I was determined not to let my daughter down. My efforts paid off, but I have to tell you. I really was close to ending up in the ER. I felt THAT bad and the bites on both legs were so bad that I literally could not walk one night. I watched for red lines from the bites thinking I had to have a blood infection. Luckily,that didn't happen. These insects were black flies, ?? Deer flies?? but at Disneyworld in FLA???? Not sure what they were, but I can tell you...they were vicious!!! They didn't bite my daughter once, however they bit my legs all over and we were playing putt putt together. They sure loved me!

Good luck to you!!! Hope some of my suggestions will help you. Keep a watch for red lines...that is a sure fire sign to GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!
Are you sure you weren't stung by a wasp and you're allergic to them? And yes, Disney has bugs.
To the OP; try distilled witch hazel-works for some folks.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,309,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Are you sure you weren't stung by a wasp and you're allergic to them? And yes, Disney has bugs.
To the OP; try distilled witch hazel-works for some folks.
Yes, NO wasp. They were biting black flies. They were hitting me on the miniature golf course and we kept swatting them away. They were SOME kind of a black fly. Everywhere they bit me was a welt. I bet I had 12 or so on each leg. Odd thing...they didn't go for my arms or body, JUST my bare legs! It was AWFUL!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

15 posts, read 59,165 times
I just read in a newsletter that crushing up an aspirin, not a tylenol type product but a "real" aspirin like a Bayer and adding just enough water to make a paste ~ apply it to the sting and the pain will subside and the redness will disappear. Hope this helps!
L

Old 06-13-2010, 04:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,341,598 times
Hydrocortisone cream may be helpful as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay