U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 16,890 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently moved to the area in January and live in New Tampa. I work from home and my husband works on E. Hillsborough by the Hard Rock. I really like New Tampa from the perspective that schools are good here, everything you need is fairly close-by, etc., but the cons for me are that it's really congested and we are so far away from everything (city, beaches, airport, etc.).

We are renting today but looking at long-term options.

I had a doctor's appt last week in Westchase and just fell in love with the area. It looks really similar to New Tampa in a lot of ways but not as congested. It's also very close to the airport.

My questions are the following - Because it is close to the airport is Westchase bombarded with planes all day? How is the commute going to be for my husband from Westchase to E. Hillsoborough at 7am? Any other cons you can think of?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 51,746 times
At 7am, it shouldn't be too bad. I live in Westchase and commute downtown / Ybor Area and take the Veteran's to 275 South. It's about a 35-45 minute drive, but I don't leave until 7:45am and have to go through 2 school zones. The air traffic really isn't bad at all. If you were on the water in the Rocky Point Area or in Citrus Park / Town-n-Contry then you might have more direct overhead traffic. The only downside is if you need to be in South Tampa or downtown a lot, as it can be a hike. It's a lot closer to beaches than New Tampa, as you can quickly get onto the Courtney Campbell Causeway or the Howard Frankland. I used to live in Carrollwood, but prefer Westchase b/c it's a lot newer.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,921,829 times
I think the rush hour traffic is going to be your biggest issues. I know when I worked across from RayJ (9) miles ) it took me 25 minutes to get to work, coming home was worse usually 35 minutes if I left right at 4:30.

Air traffic is not a big issue. You might hear a plane now and then but that would be rare. If you live in Odessa you would be in the flight pattern.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM

48 posts, read 140,517 times
Sucky commute, but I agree, if he can get it done prior to about 7:30, it shouldn't be too bad. The worst traffic is always going to be on the most major roads because people don't "think outside the box". Everybody wants to take the biggest road that goes in the direction they're going. In Tampa, that's mostly I-275, I-4 and Dale Mabry. Hillsborough gets it's share of traffic, but in my experience, it usually keeps moving fairly well most of the time.

From Westchase, he may want to experiment with roads like Linebaugh > Busch or Waters for part of his commute rather than bee-lining to Hillsborough with the rest of the sheep. I used to drive about 20 miles to work in S. Pinellas every day. I could take the "highway route" with speed limits up to 55 mph (and typical speeds more like 65-70 across the bridge) and make the trip in about 50 minutes (45 minutes if I missed ALL of the lights), or I could take a more mellow "back road" route that never went over 45 mph, but STOPPED less and was much more pleasant to drive (and gave me about 10% better fuel economy) and consistently get there in 55 minutes.

I don't live close enough to comment on the jet noise. I am right in the path of the (much, much less frequent) St. Pete Airport, however. See them out the back window all the time, but never hear them unless I'm out in the yard and really paying attention. Nothing like living near an Air Force base... civilian planes are a lot quieter!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,195,916 times
Westchase is about two miles west of the arrival and departure paths for the main runways at TIA, so you're not going to have aircraft going directly over the area most of the time. Occasionally there will be weather that will alter the standard arrivals and departures, so you will sometimes have planes flying over the area.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM

17 posts, read 36,133 times
It's soooo expensive! But beautiful!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:28 AM

157 posts, read 306,396 times
My buddy just moved out of Westchase to South Tampa so he's closer to work, he's been complaining about the commute ever since he moved there in 06. It's great for families and very walkable community, the townhomes are gorgeous! When I visited him I didn't hear any planes, but trying to get there around rush hr was a major pain!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 26,202 times
I live in Westchase and I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else. I don't understand why people buy in South Tampa (too decrepit), Temple Terrace/Valrico/Brandon/Wesley Chapel (crime), New Tampa (too far), Trinity (WAY TOO FAR) etc.

Westchase is the ONLY part of the Tampa Bay area that is uniformly maintained/manicured, has no trailer parks/shotgun shacks in need of demolition, cars parked on the grass, is safe, etc.

If you want a safe, CLEAN, well-maintained community that is not too close but not too far, Westchase is IT. Plus it has great schools, shopping and a wonderful library!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,446,111 times
South Tampa? Decrepit? What are you smoking?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:07 PM

13 posts, read 26,202 times
Sorry, I don't smoke.

yes, a lot of South Tampa is DECREPIT. You just can't compare the UNIFORM and CONSISTENT manicured beauty of Westchase to South Tampa or any other "nice" part of Tampa.

South Tampa is very "street by street," and even some streets that are supposedly nice and have $$$ homes, have tear-downs with 5-foot weeds growing in the front yard.

There are some parts of South Tampa that I would not set foot in, much less live in. The only parts of South Tampa that are mostly well-kept are Parkland Estates, Hyde Park, New Suburb, etc. Even in some of those areas you have 20 plastic chairs on the front lawn and weeds the size of crepe myrtles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay