U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
You can look up the zoning classification for your property address on the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser website --> HCPAFL.org - PROPERTY RECORD SEARCH

Then check the following link to the Municipal Code for Domestic Fowl --> PART 6.11.00 - SPECIAL AND CONDITIONAL USES

You could also call the Zoning Help Line at (813) 307-4739.

Accordingly, you can have a shark tank, but not a chicken.

PART 12.01.00 - DEFINITIONS

Animal: A living organism other than plants, bacterium or humans. As used in this Code, animals are further defined/classified as follows:

Exotic Animal: All animals which are not farm animals or household animals as defined by this Code.

Farm Animal: Animals commonly associated with farm use including but not limited to domestic hoofed mammals and domestic fowl.

Domestic Fowl: Birds commonly raised for consumption, egg production or personal enjoyment which include but are not limited to chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese. Domestic fowl shall not include ostriches, emus and similar birds.

Domestic Hoofed Mammal: Cattle, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, etc.

Household Animal: Animals which are customarily kept for personal use or enjoyment that are not exhibited to the public nor raised for commercial purposes. Household animals shall include domestic dogs, domestic cats, white mice, domestic rabbits, birds, fish, and other similar pets. However, in no case shall household animals include farm animals or exotic animals as defined by this Code.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,784,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
no offense to the OP, but this is another good reason for HOA....how would you like to save a lifetime for your dream home only to have a neighbor build a chicken coop right next door?

no offense to you bucfan, but this is another reason to never ever buy in an hoa. how would you like to save a lifetime for your dream home only to have your neighbor tell you what you may or may not build on your property?

problem number 1 in America today and for that matter the rest of the planet: everyone seems to be more interested in minding everyone else's business but their own!

Last edited by 58robbo; 07-21-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
HOAs? I'll be damned if anyone wants to keep me from storing my car on cinder blocks in my front yard.
rather live next door to these two guys with cars on blocks than live in a neighborhood with everything painted mauve, same pastiche double volume entrance halls, same lawn length all around owned by imbecilic step wives who've nothing better to do than look for hoa violations all day long. i love diversity and by that i don't mean living next to another hoa robot who has a different skin color to me

Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

15,755 posts, read 32,814,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
rather live next door to these two guys with cars on blocks than live in a neighborhood with everything painted mauve, same pastiche double volume entrance halls, same lawn length all around owned by imbecilic step wives who've nothing better to do than look for hoa violations all day long. i love diversity and by that i don't mean living next to another hoa robot who has a different skin color to me
Right on!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,684,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
no offense to you bucfan, but this is another reason to never ever buy in an hoa. how would you like to save a lifetime for your dream home only to have your neighbor tell you what you may or may not build on your property?

problem number 1 in America today and for that matter the rest of the planet: everyone seems to be more interested in minding everyone else's business but their own!
I'd never buy a home without reading/studying the HOA first.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I'd never buy a home without reading/studying the HOA first.

i guess different strokes for different folks. i wouldn't take an hoa place if you gave it to me.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,886 times
While HOAs can be useful if you are particular about items such as the precise color of your neighbor's house, they are not necessary for more general items like fence repair, truck or rec vehicle parking, chicken coops or cinder blocked cars, items often covered by ordinance enforced (when called upon or noticed) by city code. Even color can be dictated by zoning laws such as in historic districts. So it might be a bit of an exaggeration to assert that non-association housing is license to live without regard for neighbors.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:14 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,788,902 times
Quote:
no offense to the OP, but this is another good reason for HOA....how would you like to save a lifetime for your dream home only to have a neighbor build a chicken coop right next door?

Instead of being so uptight, accept the lifestyle choice. I know the right neighborhood for you.
You would be in your big home or say well enough home your entitled to have, you would be in lets say Gibsonton. Adult store heaven AND neighbors with chickens.. Sounds attractive to me, at least things wouldn't be boring.
you can have your crappy HOAs. I live in an HOA neighborhood now and it is SO DEAD and LIFELESS.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,788,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Instead of being so uptight, accept the lifestyle choice. I know the right neighborhood for you.
You would be in your big home or say well enough home your entitled to have, you would be in lets say Gibsonton. Adult store heaven AND neighbors with chickens.. Sounds attractive to me, at least things wouldn't be boring.
you can have your crappy HOAs. I live in an HOA neighborhood now and it is SO DEAD and LIFELESS.
Ok, quoting myself on behalf of someone who wrote "idiotic post" under reputation points. I wouldnt be surprised if it was the guy I replied to LOL.
I think I should start putting chickens in his yard.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 15,321 times
I have a cat but she does not lay eggs but still unsure if we could get a pair for our back yard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or