Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Fine with me.

it isn't my business what other people do on their property. It isn't theirs what I do on mine either.

It sure is if they're (or you) are doing something that that is disruptive to the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM

830 posts, read 2,703,188 times
Quote:
disruptive to the neighborhood
HOA's are terribly disruptive to neighborhoods themselves, whereas the things they supposedly "protect" against are often just proper living, or at best, neutral.

Not disruptive: hanging laundry out, keeping chickens, having long grass or native landscaping, having a wooden rocking chair on your lawn.

Disruptive to me is dictating to me (or my neighbor) what color we can paint our houses, how we may decorate it, what we may plant, how much water we are required to waste in maintaining vegetation that shouldn't even be there, whom I may share my home with, etc, etc. I wouldn't do it to someone else and I won't tolerate it being done to me.

If it's something illegal, then the police can handle it. And if it's not illegal, so that some HOA had to contrive a rule for it themselves, then it's not my business, it's not their business, and they need to shut up and preferably be disbanded completely. I'd consider an HOA an absolute NO when purchasing a house - it definitely lowers the value of the home to me, more than about anything else! It also probably means an ugly house and yard, horrible neighbors, and a generally unfriendly way of living.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 PM

11 posts, read 22,599 times
just an FYI. Chickens are good pesticide eco-friendly. They eat ticks and other pesky bugs. if you take good care of them, no neighbors will even know that you have them. Roosters.........one attacked me, I can't believe how strong they are!!! No rooster for me...but chickens, good bug control and the added bonus of fresh eggs!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM

324 posts, read 437,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesea1 View Post
just an FYI. Chickens are good pesticide eco-friendly. They eat ticks and other pesky bugs. if you take good care of them, no neighbors will even know that you have them. Roosters.........one attacked me, I can't believe how strong they are!!! No rooster for me...but chickens, good bug control and the added bonus of fresh eggs!
Um...Roosters ARE chickens!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM

830 posts, read 2,703,188 times
Quote:
Chickens are good pesticide eco-friendly.
I think HOA's prefer heavy, regular doses of toxic pesticides though. They certainly aren't eco-friendly when it comes to hanging wash out on a line, or allowing native vegetation. Like I said, disruptive. Not just to one's personal life but to the whole planet.

As far as rooster aggression, that's one reason people like to have them, to protect the hens. I like that about them. But then, I'm not one who thinks that animal docility is a prerequisite for keeping them - I've got a house full of feral cats, for one! But certainly you can get your fresh eggs, bug control, and natural fertilizer benefits without a rooster around for miles.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 27,250 times
That’s right I get natural fertilizer, natural chemical free bug control, and I know what is in the eggs my chickens will lay cause I control what is in my chickens eat. My chickens (hens) are calm and quiet, I clean their tractor (moveable coop) every week. I would not want a smelly coop in my yard nor would I subject my neighbors to it. I have neighbors with exotic birds that screech and squawk all day long! They make so much noise they put them outside for some relief from the incessant racket. I have neighborhood cats that spray their awful scent in my yard (because they don't bother to have their animals neutered) I would not want a rooster in a neighborhood situation (backyard chickens)and certainly do not need a rooster to enjoy fresh eggs. People think chickens stink because they have driven by commercially raised chicken farms and smelled the stench. Yeah 5,000 chickens crammed into 1,200 square feet is going to stink & they are going to get sick under these conditions and require antibiotics and growth hormones so they can get them to market as fast as possible because it’s about the almighty $$$ not the quality of what they are feeding us! These chickens are fed GMO corn based feeds and that is ultimately what you are consuming when you eat these store bought eggs and chickens. Did you know the average supermarket chicken is only 7 weeks old when it is slaughtered? We wonder why our children are entering puberty so young and have so much incidence of cancer. We need to take a long hard look at what Monsanto is doing to the American farmers and our food supply! As far as HOA’s hey if that’s is your cup of tea you go for it but I’ll be darned if I will have somebody tell me what I can and cannot do on my property that I bought and paid for.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewbeit221 View Post
As far as HOA’s hey if that’s is your cup of tea you go for it but I’ll be darned if I will have somebody tell me what I can and cannot do on my property that I bought and paid for.
HOAs? I'll be damned if anyone wants to keep me from storing my car on cinder blocks in my front yard.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
HOAs? I'll be damned if anyone wants to keep me from storing my car on cinder blocks in my front yard.
Those two are probably really nice guys! And yes, I would rather live next door to them than live in an HOA nabe. But different strokes and all!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Nice guys? Didn't say they weren't. But have fun trying to sell a house when your neighbors have a chicken coop in their front yard, a car permanently on cinder blocks, and their house painted a bright tourquoise, and them having target practice in the backyard.

Last edited by BucFan; 07-16-2010 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,555,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewbeit221 View Post
Can anyone tell me what are the ordinances in Brandon for keeping backyard chickens? I do not live in a deed restricted development. I have a little less that an acre (like 7/8ths) I do not plan to keep any roosters only hens and no more than 4. Would this be governed by the City of Brandon or Hillborough county ??
You can look up the zoning classification for your property address on the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser website --> HCPAFL.org - PROPERTY RECORD SEARCH

Then check the following link to the Municipal Code for Domestic Fowl --> PART 6.11.00 - SPECIAL AND CONDITIONAL USES

You could also call the Zoning Help Line at (813) 307-4739.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay