U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,782,200 times

Advertisements

Interesting Video showing what has taken place over the past 7 years in downtown Tampa (music is a bit cheesy).

mms://av.tampagov.net/Files/State_of_Downtown/20100609_StateofDowntown_Lo.wmv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 AM

15,794 posts, read 33,001,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Interesting Video showing what has taken place over the past 7 years in downtown Tampa (music is a bit cheesy).

mms://av.tampagov.net/Files/State_of_Downtown/20100609_StateofDowntown_Lo.wmv
Thanks, tampaguy - I love when you post this stuff! My hubby gets to go downtown (to work) everyday, but I haven't been there in awhile since I live down here in Sarasota. He has told me downtown was really shaping up, and I must say from this video it looks awesome! Glad to see so many positive changes there.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,797,848 times
Interesting video.. they are trying hard to get it back on the map or at least put it in the same conversation as other top US cities.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 PM

35,319 posts, read 44,353,974 times
Spent a few days in downtown Tampa a few months ago and on our evening walk from our hotel next to the Performing Art center to the St Pete Times Arena gave us the impression that after 5pm weekdays the downtown core becomes a ghost town.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 7,172 times
You are correct, Jambo101. Downtown is a ghost town after everyone gets out of work. There isn't that much in downtown besides office buildings and the occasional subway. The parties are in Ybor at night if that is what you are looking for. Which you can get to by taking the trolley to Ybor from downtown.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM

12 posts, read 20,771 times
I consider Channelside downtown also and well it's always going on down there whatever night. Plus Gallagher's has amazing steaks

Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,782,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Spent a few days in downtown Tampa a few months ago and on our evening walk from our hotel next to the Performing Art center to the St Pete Times Arena gave us the impression that after 5pm weekdays the downtown core becomes a ghost town.
Yep, , the downtown core(where the tall buildings are) does not have many residents, so unless there is a Convention at the Convention Center, Events at the Forum or Performing Arts Center, there is not much foot traffic after business hours. The weekends can get busy, especially if there is a festival or events happening in the downtown core. Most of the residents live just east of the big buildings(Channelside) and south of the big buildings(Harbour Island) as part of the downtown area.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 832,520 times
Great video! All of those projects appear to be "home runs" and there appears to be an actual plan. I can't wait for that 2.5mi riverwalk to be finished. I will be running on that every day...

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,173,118 times
The best way to get more people Downtown at night is free parking. You don't have to pay to park in the suburbs, so people who don't live there, like me, find it difficult to make it a hangout spot. Also, when/if they extend the streetcar again, I propose it goes further downtown to Kennedy, across the bridge, through UT, or before going over the river on Kennedy, make a right on Ashley so it goes past the museums, the library, and the TBPAC, then across the river on the Cass st bridge into UT. Either way, make it go through the UT campus. Imagine the boost to ridership if UT students can take the streecar from campus to Channelside or Ybor.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM

817 posts, read 2,010,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
The best way to get more people Downtown at night is free parking. You don't have to pay to park in the suburbs, so people who don't live there, like me, find it difficult to make it a hangout spot. Also, when/if they extend the streetcar again, I propose it goes further downtown to Kennedy, across the bridge, through UT, or before going over the river on Kennedy, make a right on Ashley so it goes past the museums, the library, and the TBPAC, then across the river on the Cass st bridge into UT. Either way, make it go through the UT campus. Imagine the boost to ridership if UT students can take the streecar from campus to Channelside or Ybor.
Not bad...I'd extend the streetcar across Kennedy, past UT, west to MacDill, then send it down in to south Tampa and terminate in either Hyde Park Village or SoHo.

Then make it 75 cents a ride or 1.00 for a two trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or