Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 22,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anybody know if any of these streets are associated with high crime...

Dream Oaks
Carrington Park
Waterside Island
High Hammock
Fiesta Ridge

Thank you.

Pete from England
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,280,054 times
Okay, I looked up these streets and have noted certain things about their respective areas. It seems that most/all of these are in gated complexes. Hope this helps:

The only "Dream Oaks" I could find is located in Bradenton, way south of Tampa.

Carrington Park: Located in the New Tampa area. Most likely fairly new. All of that area is pretty safe. The biggest problem up there is traffic.

Waterside Island: Located in the "Fishbowl." Appears to be in a complex. I don't know about that particular area, but you'd be near Sligh/40th/56th Streets and the Temple Crest/Woodland Hills neighborhoods which historically have had some pretty high crime. Some might argue that that's one of the worst areas in Tampa.

High Hammock: Convenient location near the Crosstown, 60, and I-75, plus Brandon Mall. Seems like a new development. You'd be near the Clair-Mel area, which historically has had more crime. The Crosstown may act as a sort-of barrier and may keep out some of the crime.

Fiesta Ridge: A pretty dumpy area of town. Not unsafe, but there will be more crime there than other neighborhoods, but I think it's mostly petty.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 22,393 times
That was a great response...I really appreciate it.

I'm coming into Tampa next week to take a look.

Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Okay, I looked up these streets and have noted certain things about their respective areas. It seems that most/all of these are in gated complexes. Hope this helps:

The only "Dream Oaks" I could find is located in Bradenton, way south of Tampa.

Carrington Park: Located in the New Tampa area. Most likely fairly new. All of that area is pretty safe. The biggest problem up there is traffic.

Waterside Island: Located in the "Fishbowl." Appears to be in a complex. I don't know about that particular area, but you'd be near Sligh/40th/56th Streets and the Temple Crest/Woodland Hills neighborhoods which historically have had some pretty high crime. Some might argue that that's one of the worst areas in Tampa.

High Hammock: Convenient location near the Crosstown, 60, and I-75, plus Brandon Mall. Seems like a new development. You'd be near the Clair-Mel area, which historically has had more crime. The Crosstown may act as a sort-of barrier and may keep out some of the crime.

Fiesta Ridge: A pretty dumpy area of town. Not unsafe, but there will be more crime there than other neighborhoods, but I think it's mostly petty.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,099,030 times
I keep hearing the New Tampa is a great place for families but ALWAYS hear that the traffic is bad. Does anyone know if there are plans to address the traffic in that area?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I keep hearing the New Tampa is a great place for families but ALWAYS hear that the traffic is bad. Does anyone know if there are plans to address the traffic in that area?
New Tampa is pure, unalterated suburbia and has all the things that makes a neighborhood (or neighborhoods) family-friendly.

Long-term plans? Maybe. Short-term plans? Not really.

The City of Tampa's M.O. has been to simply widen roads and FDOT created a better onramp from Bruce B. Downs (the major street by far) onto I-75. A connector road from 75 to 275 has been planned, but NIMBYs and environmental groups have thwarted that for years. Decades ago, they wanted to extend the Veterans Expressway from Dale Mabry through Lutz and probably out to New Tampa, but NIMBYs thwarted that, too.

Bruce B. Downs is one of just a handful of roads that actually take you south, so it will always be a bottleneck. Bus service exists, but it is only on the main road(s) and only goes so far into New Tampa. Light rail, if it ever happens, will be decades away.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,099,030 times
Sounds like Tampa needs to look into Car Pool lanes which city buses and motorcycles can use. The one thing about public transportation is that it will be used more if it is cheaper and as fast or faster than taking your own car to your job. I loved taking the commute bus to work everyday when I worked in Downtown Seattle. We passed all the cars sitting in traffic cuz we were in the carpool lane and I didn't have to pay for parking downtown ($20/day cheapest and $40/day in my building) all for a $4/day bus pass.

When you can make mass transit more affordable, convenient, faster and cheaper than driving... ridership increases. I miss my 45 minute naps on the bus on the way to work.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 PM

5,513 posts, read 6,115,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Sounds like Tampa needs to look into Car Pool lanes which city buses and motorcycles can use. The one thing about public transportation is that it will be used more if it is cheaper and as fast or faster than taking your own car to your job. I loved taking the commute bus to work everyday when I worked in Downtown Seattle. We passed all the cars sitting in traffic cuz we were in the carpool lane and I didn't have to pay for parking downtown ($20/day cheapest and $40/day in my building) all for a $4/day bus pass.

When you can make mass transit more affordable, convenient, faster and cheaper than driving... ridership increases. I miss my 45 minute naps on the bus on the way to work.
Before I moved to Florida I lived in Boston and before that San Francisco. I used public transportation for everything and never missed having a car. It's one of my biggest criticisms of Florida generally. The public transportation here, where there is any, is extremely limited. Florida completely missed the boat when they had the chance to put good public transportation infrastructure in place. I absolutely agree that it would be a welcome improvement, but I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay