U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,779 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone-- I wanted to know people's opinions about what the best place to live is in the Tampa area. I will be a phd grad student this fall '10 at USF tampa, and I have been looking at craig's list and other places to find a place to live. It seems that the best place to live is Hyde Park; is this correct?

I am on a tight budget, but I am willing to tighten up my belt in order to live in a safe, clean neighborhood. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've also heard that New tampa is a good area and that "parts" of temple terrace are ok. I am drawn to Hyde park though because it seems as though there are some nice coffee shops and shopping centers to hang out at while i sit around reading. Any advice would be soooooo appreciated.

I don't want any area with too many loud college kids, or that is too loud, which would distract me from my studies. But I do want to be close enough to basics like groceries, coffee shops, pharmacies, etc...

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,751,302 times
craig's list is creepy - use a real estate agent to find a place to live, imo. Check out Tampa Palms - nearer to USF than New Tampa.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM

15 posts, read 32,327 times
Hyde Park is a nice area. Very hip and trendy and probably what you are looking for. It's expensive to live in the area though. Anywhere in South Tampa is higher than other areas as we are close to downtown and the traffic isn't an issue. New Tampa is nice too but there is only one main road that leads from New Tampa to USF and so the commute isn't a pretty one. If your hours are not a commuters typical hours such as 8 to 5 then it would be fine. They are in the process of expanding that main road (again!).

Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 831,404 times
forrent.com and forget craigslist--nothing but junk and freaks.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 10,779 times
Thanks everyone. So what I am hearing is that Hyde park is nice, but expensive and New Tampa is good but there might be traffic issues, right? Are there any areas to absolutely avoid?

Thanks Everyone!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,751,302 times
If you've never been the area - all it'll take is a few hours of driving in and around USF to see. It's pretty obvious what'll suit your needs. But I'd stay away from anything directly on Fowler and Fletcher near campus, also anything around the VA Hospital as well as Busch Blvd. Most of the area directly around USF is college apartments - and it doesn't sound like what you're looking for. You do see a few nicer areas east of USF along Fletcher - getting closer to I75 entrance. Definitely don't make your decision sight unseen, you'll have to drive around the area. Don't live anywhere near Nebraska Ave. BTW, you might find something small (1 bd place) in Hyde/Davis/Harbour Island. Harbour Island has a lot of apartment/condos - not sure what the prices are - but its a good area, near Channelside - I was looking at a place at 611 FATHOM CR, Tampa, FL 33602 but buying my current place.

Ziprealty.com has a good search that you can look at some places for sale - might be able to find rental properties through the site as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or