U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 AM
 
26,773 posts, read 41,306,440 times
Reputation: 14908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I've been here for 3 months and I swear I haven't seen anyone use their blinkers on their car for a lane change or a turn. It has caused some serious situations for me and almost some accidents with people changing lanes at 80 mph.

Is there a law in this area that prohibits the use of Blinkers?
Most people remember all the rules when a white police car comes close...otherwise they all have alzheimer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,155,808 times
Reputation: 2141
You would be saving a LOT of money if you put $1 aside every time you see someone turn without turning their signals on! it's a joke!

People here think that whomever is behind them has mind reading powers!

I HORN! A LOT! SO IF YOU HEAR A HORN, IT IS MINE AND IT IS BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T TURN YOUR SIGNAL ON AND ALSO BECAUSE YOU'RE DRIVING 30 IN A 55 ZONE IN THE LEFT LANE, WHICH IS FOR PASSING, NOT FOR TEXTING, SLEEPING, EATING, SHAVING, PUTTING MAKE UP ON, X-RATED CRAP, BRUSHING TEETH OR ANY OTHER ACTIVITY THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE DRIVING! I will also horn if you are sitting and waiting for me to get closer before cutting me off from a side road! advise to anyone who lives in Heritage Harbor and Villarosa.

Our traffic would improve soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mucccccch if people would actually DRIVE when they sit in their cars instead of doing all the above and some other stuff I probably missed.

Just yesterday, I turned on Van Dyke and the person in front of me slows down to a stop.........guess why............to LIGHT UP HER STUPID CIGARETTE! Made me pass, I couldn't believe it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 AM
 
Location: FL
766 posts, read 1,647,865 times
Reputation: 1564
OMG that's soo funny...sad, but funny!

I talked to a few co-workers about the blinker situation down here and one young gentleman told me; "I don't use my blinker because that will tip off my next move to everyone"; Whaaaaaaat?? I'm still scratchin' my head after that statement.

Algia, I horned once or twice, but that seemed to enrage the person I was horning. They jammed on their brakes and then did the crawl at 15mph, then sped up when I tried to pass; all because they didn't use their blinker??



Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You would be saving a LOT of money if you put $1 aside every time you see someone turn without turning their signals on! it's a joke!

People here think that whomever is behind them has mind reading powers!

I HORN! A LOT! SO IF YOU HEAR A HORN, IT IS MINE AND IT IS BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T TURN YOUR SIGNAL ON AND ALSO BECAUSE YOU'RE DRIVING 30 IN A 55 ZONE IN THE LEFT LANE, WHICH IS FOR PASSING, NOT FOR TEXTING, SLEEPING, EATING, SHAVING, PUTTING MAKE UP ON, X-RATED CRAP, BRUSHING TEETH OR ANY OTHER ACTIVITY THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE DRIVING! I will also horn if you are sitting and waiting for me to get closer before cutting me off from a side road! advise to anyone who lives in Heritage Harbor and Villarosa.

Our traffic would improve soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mucccccch if people would actually DRIVE when they sit in their cars instead of doing all the above and some other stuff I probably missed.

Just yesterday, I turned on Van Dyke and the person in front of me slows down to a stop.........guess why............to LIGHT UP HER STUPID CIGARETTE! Made me pass, I couldn't believe it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 AM
 
Location: FL
766 posts, read 1,647,865 times
Reputation: 1564
Here's another Florida habit I was reminded of this morning driving to work;

Rather than stop and wait at a RED light in the right turning lane; some people will actually pull into a gas station or a bank and drive through the parking lot to get to the street the right turn was going to put them on. I saw one guy do that this morning so he could quickly make a LEFT turn and catch the GREEN light. He actually went through the RED light as he didn't make it in time.

Are there any police patrolling the roads down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 05:48 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,155,808 times
Reputation: 2141
Can't say I am surprised by that answer......LOL Just goes to show you who lives here!


I had ppl do that, in return I took their license plate number and emailed the Sheriff dept. This is very common in Europe, ppl there will report you if you're on the phone in a heart beat....I have a friend in Austria who got several tickets for being on the ph while driving, and one ticket for being parked with one wheel a bit on the side walk.....go figure!

But because cops can't be EVERYWHERE to see EVERYTHING, citizens have to help catch these idiots, because this is how accidents are caused.

Plus, it's not like the turn signal control is hidden under the hood! you can touch it without even looking!!!!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
OMG that's soo funny...sad, but funny!

I talked to a few co-workers about the blinker situation down here and one young gentleman told me; "I don't use my blinker because that will tip off my next move to everyone"; Whaaaaaaat?? I'm still scratchin' my head after that statement.

Algia, I horned once or twice, but that seemed to enrage the person I was horning. They jammed on their brakes and then did the crawl at 15mph, then sped up when I tried to pass; all because they didn't use their blinker??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,155,808 times
Reputation: 2141
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, UNLESS there is a sign that reads next to the light: "No Turning on Red", you can actually DO that here! Outrageous! I agree...I am guessing this is for NY'ers who in the absence of this feature make up lanes to turn right....You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it, I had a cab do that to us in NY, made me lean towards my husband who was driving! LOL



Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Here's another Florida habit I was reminded of this morning driving to work;

Rather than stop and wait at a RED light in the right turning lane; some people will actually pull into a gas station or a bank and drive through the parking lot to get to the street the right turn was going to put them on. I saw one guy do that this morning so he could quickly make a LEFT turn and catch the GREEN light. He actually went through the RED light as he didn't make it in time.

Are there any police patrolling the roads down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 05:55 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,155,808 times
Reputation: 2141
These people should buy RVs...really, put them on autopilot and do whatever they want in the right lane & leave the rest of us get where we need to go, these retirees or ignorants forget that SOME PEOPLE have to run around with things to do, like pick up kids from school, run to dentist appts, go to speech therapy, get groceries etc....not everyone wakes up and goes: "I'll be going for a drive today, since it is nice out but too hot to be outside, so I'll just drive around with no purpose in my AC'd car"!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 06:20 AM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,606,590 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I've been here for 3 months and I swear I haven't seen anyone use their blinkers on their car for a lane change or a turn. It has caused some serious situations for me and almost some accidents with people changing lanes at 80 mph.

Is there a law in this area that prohibits the use of Blinkers?
My advise to you is use it, do not abandon it yourself. Beleive it or not when you keep using the blinker many people will start to use it. My favourite exercise while driving is seeing many people start blinking once I start doing it-even after I stoped on left turn and it is clear that we are making left turn. Try it and have fun. If enough people are doing it I believe the habit can change. The police has so many other stuff than enforcing this here. Where I came from the police will stop you for just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Providence
336 posts, read 858,851 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Pssh! You expect drivers to put on their blinker while texting?

Just maxed out my own car insurance yesterday - usually I max out all deductibles (take high deductibles) - but changed everything to low deductibles and increased all insurance coverage to the max. The premiums didn't go up dramatically. Tampa/Florida driving is just too high risk.
Hilarious! Sad but true.

Yea I'm originally from New England and they have pretty horrible drivers but here (most of my time is on 75!) it is outrageous the things I see just on 75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Citrus Park, FL
101 posts, read 492,939 times
Reputation: 69
The driving culture here is probably the one thing that has taken me the most time to get accustomed to (aside from the near epidemic inability of Floridians to wheel their shopping carts to the cart returns in store parking lots). Two and a half years, and I still marvel at the behavior on the roads. It's like stoplights are optional, speed limits are merely suggestions, and blinkers are out of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top