U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 AM

323 posts, read 608,038 times

Advertisements

I've noticed, in addition to the lack of turn signal use, which I was raving about to family back home just yesterday in fact....that there seems to be a LOT of people without BRAKE LIGHTS!! Driving on 275 during rush hour....with no brake lights. I also dropped my deductibles after coming here, I used to have them at 1K, now they're at $500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM

48 posts, read 140,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, UNLESS there is a sign that reads next to the light: "No Turning on Red", you can actually DO that here!
True, you can make a right turn on red if there isn't a sign stating otherwise. BUT, you must treat that red light like a stop sign. You MUST come to a complete stop before making your turn (unless there's a yield sign at the intersection, which you might see if the intersection includes a merge lane).

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,462,879 times
Making a right on red is different from cutting through a lot to avoid a light, which is illegal.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,210,254 times
Thanks for this thread. I have learned two things. I need to lower my Deductibles from $1K and perhaps having a motorcycle again is a bad idea down there. Are the tolls roads any better than the regular highways? Particularly Sun Coast?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM

14,551 posts, read 20,270,880 times
Nope traffic is all the same in florida from when I lived down there and had to deal with golf carts parading in the streets too . LOL !!! Im so glad i dont live down there anymore and having to deal with people parading their golf carts up and down the roads oh and watch for their rascals too .

Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Thanks for this thread. I have learned two things. I need to lower my Deductibles from $1K and perhaps having a motorcycle again is a bad idea down there. Are the tolls roads any better than the regular highways? Particularly Sun Coast?
You do NOT want a motorcycle down here. I wouldn't let BF get one when we were still back in Indiana, and now that we're down here, he doesn't even WANT one anymore. We had to take back roads to his work the other morning because of a crash involving a motorcycle on US19. There was no question whether or not the guy was killed....it was a pretty graphic accident scene. The bike looked no better I assure you. The toll roads are really just as bad, not much of a difference. Pretty much anywhere the speed limit is 65 or above is a nightmare, and some places where it is lower (like US19) are just as bad.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,254,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I will probably get raked over the coals for this, but the motorcycle drivers (not ALL of them) seem to be among the most irresponsible. They go way too fast, weave in and out of traffic, and don't wear helmets. A guy that worked for my husband was killed a week ago because he was racing someone on his bike.

So, get a motorcycle, imo. Just drive responsibly, and seriously consider wearing a helmet.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I will probably get raked over the coals for this, but the motorcycle drivers (not ALL of them) seem to be among the most irresponsible. They go way too fast, weave in and out of traffic, and don't wear helmets. A guy that worked for my husband was killed a week ago because he was racing someone on his bike.

So, get a motorcycle, imo. Just drive responsibly, and seriously consider wearing a helmet.
The only problem with that is just because you are driving responsibly doesn't mean the idiot in the Hummer, Truck, hell even a Corola for that matter, is driving responsibly. I've even almost ran a bike off of the road before; not because I was driving stupidly, I just couldn't see the guy. Highways and cities aren't what they used to be. They're way too congested and full of distracted people on cell phones (not like 30 years ago.) I just feel that they're no longer a good place to be driving a vehicle that doesn't have 4 walls. If you're intent on having a bike, I say get a dirt bike and keep it off the road. That's just my opinion of course....I know people will always buy motorcycles

Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,080,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
I've noticed, in addition to the lack of turn signal use, which I was raving about to family back home just yesterday in fact....that there seems to be a LOT of people without BRAKE LIGHTS!! Driving on 275 during rush hour....with no brake lights. I also dropped my deductibles after coming here, I used to have them at 1K, now they're at $500.
Well FL has no state inspections for automobiles, I had never heard of that before. So there are no rules for vehicle safety. Most states when you register a car your vehicle most past an inspection to see that it is safe to be on the road.

They drive here with no car insurance(FL doesn't impound cars like most states) and on bald tires and no brakes. Having a suspended license doesn't seem to matter either.

You have to carry extra insurance here to cover yourself for all those who don't.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,812,129 times
Spent several days in Miami recently, and things are much worse down there. I haven't seen the road rage type of driving as I did down there where some people where so bad you thought someone was chasing them and all you wanted to do is get several lanes away from the dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or