U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,690,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Thanks for this thread. I have learned two things. I need to lower my Deductibles from $1K and perhaps having a motorcycle again is a bad idea down there. Are the tolls roads any better than the regular highways? Particularly Sun Coast?
I use the Sunshine Skyway and the Selmon tolls all the time - and the only time I have a big problem with other drivers is during the rush hour traffic to and from - seems like everyone is on a cell phone, texting, and late for work (tailgating, weaving through lanes). I'm not working anymore, but this a.m. had to drive to Westshore on Selmon and I275 and it was crazy - and makes me thankful that I don't have to do it on a daily basis anymore. Thank goodness for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 PM

427 posts, read 1,002,094 times
I actually don't use my turn signals. Or else I'll turn it them on just a second before my turn. That way the cars don't have a chance to speed up and block me in.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM

427 posts, read 1,002,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
These people should buy RVs...really, put them on autopilot and do whatever they want in the right lane & leave the rest of us get where we need to go, these retirees or ignorants forget that SOME PEOPLE have to run around with things to do, like pick up kids from school, run to dentist appts, go to speech therapy, get groceries etc....not everyone wakes up and goes: "I'll be going for a drive today, since it is nice out but too hot to be outside, so I'll just drive around with no purpose in my AC'd car"!!!!!!!
I think I'm one of those people you described. I drive kind of slow as I like to enjoy the smooth ride of my old Buick. Everyone goes so fast. Sometimes it's downright scary when these rednecks get right on my rear in their monster trucks. But I resist the urge to move over to the right, I know they can't drive over me. One guy in a SUV was flicking me off the other day. He was tailgating me on the interstate ramp. As soon as I got on the freeway I immediately merged over to the left, blocking his opportunity to pass me by. And to cap it off, he got sandwiched in by oncoming 18 wheelers. I could see his angry face and baseball cap shining under his sunroof. And I'm sure a lot of these ruffians here are packing heat, it would go with their war stickers and fish symbols. But they should remember, brandishing a weapon is a serious assault (I'm learning about these things in my law class).

Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM

762 posts, read 1,640,425 times
That was you????? You $@#$@%@#

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I think I'm one of those people you described. I drive kind of slow as I like to enjoy the smooth ride of my old Buick. Everyone goes so fast. Sometimes it's downright scary when these rednecks get right on my rear in their monster trucks. But I resist the urge to move over to the right, I know they can't drive over me. One guy in a SUV was flicking me off the other day. He was tailgating me on the interstate ramp. As soon as I got on the freeway I immediately merged over to the left, blocking his opportunity to pass me by. And to cap it off, he got sandwiched in by oncoming 18 wheelers. I could see his angry face and baseball cap shining under his sunroof. And I'm sure a lot of these ruffians here are packing heat, it would go with their war stickers and fish symbols. But they should remember, brandishing a weapon is a serious assault (I'm learning about these things in my law class).

Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,102,635 times
Okay, I just have to say...ck the license plates. They aren't all from FL that are driving without regard to the law...and...there are A LOT of transplants to FL that DO have FL plates, they aren't Floridians either! LOL.... That being said, let me forewarn you of one of the biggest pet peeves I have of drivers, if you haven't witnessed it yet..you will! People who don't want to wait for the light and line of traffic to change to go straight or turn right at the intersection so they get into the LEFT turn lane so they can move forward with the green left turn light since that will change first, and as soon as they get to the intersection they zoom over into the straight/right lane and either...go straight thru the intersection (in front of the long line of cars waiting for the light change) or turn right (from the LEFT TURN LANE) right in front of the long line of cars in the right lane waiting for the light to change! It happens EVERY DAY to and from work. DRIVES ME NUTS! Never a cop around when they do it!!! Why is that??? Also popular, turning left from the right lane, just an FYI. Driving in Florida...it is defensive, DEFINITELY defensive! Good luck new comers! LOL

Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 PM

17,804 posts, read 21,965,658 times
No they're certainly not all from Florida. Or even from the US, I have seen some Canadians pull some stunts on the roads here.

Florida's issue is they hand over a DL to anyone. Most states require passing at least a written driving test and sometimes a road test. In FL you walk in with an out of state DL and you're good to go.

It could be suspended, or you have 3 DUIs in another state, they don't check. They just hand you a Florida DL.

Vehicles are not inspected to see if they are in safe running order and though it is mandatory to have car insurance that isn't really enforced either.

And in FL you can get up to 4 DUIs and still have a DL. In many states you lose it first DUI or are given a conditional DL for a couple of years.

Way too lax here on driving and road safety.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 AM

627 posts, read 1,216,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamia36 View Post
The driving culture here is probably the one thing that has taken me the most time to get accustomed to (aside from the near epidemic inability of Floridians to wheel their shopping carts to the cart returns in store parking lots). Two and a half years, and I still marvel at the behavior on the roads. It's like stoplights are optional, speed limits are merely suggestions, and blinkers are out of style.
I can almost guarantee that 99.9% of the people that drive bad and don't return the carts to the cart returns are NOT native Floridians!! We sure get the bad rep from all of the arrogant jerkwads that come from everywhere else and bring their lack of driving skills/non cart returning selfish I AM GOD attitudes. It would be paradise again if everyone that wasn't born in Florida, left Florida!!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 AM

Besides no blinkers, noticed that stop signs and red lights just yield signs. Many if not most drivers don't stop.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I can almost guarantee that 99.9% of the people that drive bad and don't return the carts to the cart returns are NOT native Floridians!! We sure get the bad rep from all of the arrogant jerkwads that come from everywhere else and bring their lack of driving skills/non cart returning selfish I AM GOD attitudes. It would be paradise again if everyone that wasn't born in Florida, left Florida!!

carts all over a parking lot: another annoyance

Old 06-24-2010, 04:31 AM

26,746 posts, read 41,084,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Here's another Florida habit I was reminded of this morning driving to work;

Rather than stop and wait at a RED light in the right turning lane; some people will actually pull into a gas station or a bank and drive through the parking lot to get to the street the right turn was going to put them on. I saw one guy do that this morning so he could quickly make a LEFT turn and catch the GREEN light. He actually went through the RED light as he didn't make it in time.

Are there any police patrolling the roads down here?
Mostly the police isn't there when needed....but sometimes they are.

One friend of mine told me a couple of months ago that she was a passenger in a car and the driver did exactly the same and got a ticket for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or