Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

"Why don't we actually enforce un-insured driving penalties? Because Gov here is stupid and doesn't understand that by doing that they'll have more money to fix roads or improve on education etc."

Exactly. FL is the only state I know of where they don't impound cars when they're caught driving with no car insurance.

There is no incentive here to get insurance because there is really no penalty, having their DL supspended does no good, taking away their vehicle gives them some incentive....it also gets them off the road until they get their affairs in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I have this habit of watching people parking in handicap spaces get out of their cars and walk to stores. I see more healthy looking adults than anyone w/ a handicap. Can someone who's been here for awhile explain why this may be. Must not take much to get a handicap license/placard.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I did see something good the other day, I notice in Florida people sit and park in fire lanes in shopping centers...LOL...yesterday I saw a cop give two of them tickets(first time). Very inconsiderate to sit there and block other cars as well as those walking through the parking lot.
I am suprised you saw that as I see cops sitting and or parking in the fire lanes all the time while they use the ATM machines in front of the supermarkets. Of course it's been years since I have seen cops here use turn signals either as another poster mentioned.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:41 PM

323 posts, read 684,481 times
Hehe, I too have noticed that not even cops use turn signals here. I really don't understand, though, why someone driving 80 mph on the highway wouldn't use a turn signal when passing between cars that are only feet apart. I do my best to just let these people through, because obviously they are too stupid to pay attention to their surroundings.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I've been here for 3 months and I swear I haven't seen anyone use their blinkers on their car for a lane change or a turn. It has caused some serious situations for me and almost some accidents with people changing lanes at 80 mph.

Is there a law in this area that prohibits the use of Blinkers?
Using the blinker down here is really more of a suggestion then a requirement.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I have this habit of watching people parking in handicap spaces get out of their cars and walk to stores. I see more healthy looking adults than anyone w/ a handicap. Can someone who's been here for awhile explain why this may be. Must not take much to get a handicap license/placard.

I agree! Simple explanation...Laziness! However, I have to say...this is not isolated to Florida by any means. This rude act of laziness is universal. I see it in every state I travel. I'd like to know, what exactly constitutes being handicapped because I know individuals with tags (not just in FL) that are perfectly capable of walking. I feel so bad for the true handicapped when the spaces are taken up by the perfectly capable. LAZY!!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Hehe, I too have noticed that not even cops use turn signals here. I really don't understand, though, why someone driving 80 mph on the highway wouldn't use a turn signal when passing between cars that are only feet apart. I do my best to just let these people through, because obviously they are too stupid to pay attention to their surroundings.
I'm glad I learned how to drive in a country where you were taught how to use your inside and outside mirrors...so mostly I see them coming and can act cautious.

It is waiting for them to crash one day and/or a get a ticket...hopefully it is their life that is wasted and not some innocent driver.

I recently had to make a turn from Wells Road onto Curley Road and that time I didn't see the car that drove behind me and made the same turn and than decided to pass me in the curve...over a yellow line on a road that is only 1 lane each direction...The stupid lady endangered us and the child she had in her car without a seat belt on...I guess the child must have been 5 years old...Later she passed another car by going over all kinds of yellow stripes...and than we were 2 cars behind her at the traffic light.

Of course no cop to see., but I wonder how her official driving record is...

If you go to traffic court you will be shocked how easily people walk out and can drive again...and btw if they aren't allowed to drive they will drive and who is checking...?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 37,638 times
It really just depends I'm from florida and you have ppl who never use them. I'm in north carolina and I have seen only a few ppl use them.
The only place I have been where I see a lot of ppl use there blinkers is omaha,nebraska.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
I think what drives me nuts worse than not using them is someone who is ends up going the opposite direction than their turn signal indicates. You would think if they were going to use them...they would at least go the direction they are indicating by virtue of the signal. I'm just saying...

Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
Florida has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen. No blinkers and they'll ride your ass like you're towing them.

I just slow down and **** them off especially the rednecks in the big pick up trucks who do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay