Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM

371 posts, read 940,478 times

Advertisements

got a question why is Tampa and Florida's housing market still crappy? other cities/states have recovered some. Possible that it will stay crappy for a long time? or is it getting better? what need to be done to get it going?

Won't be good if I move to Tampa and my house keep on dropping, it's probably the low now right? shouldn't drop much anymore?

Investors haven't come into FL yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
oh no its getting better all the flippers( sharks) buying everything up drving up the prices

Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 PM

484 posts, read 760,831 times
I believe it is getting better, much better than 2008-2009, but I don't think the sharp incline due to less inventory is really a sound measure of the stabilization.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
financial / white collar crimes/ high drugs seizures/ human trafficking/ public trust and violations fiduciary resposibility etc. are commited in the nice neighborhoods.
That's not true at all. The most common white collar crime (identity theft) is usually committed by people in lower class neighborhoods. Same with drug busts - overwhelmingly in bad neighborhoods. Same with human trafficking. It's kind of hilarious to hear someone suggest that human trafficking is focused in places like Palma Ceia and East Lake.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,343 times
What about the Egypt Lake - Leto area, west of US 275, south of SR 580/41, north of Hillsborough Ave, and east of Dale Mabry Highway?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
Nice:
South Tampa-close to everything, able to have a night life
Westshore-central to a lot
Westchase-cute cookie cutter area
Carrolwood-not bad

And I can't think of any other neighborhoods in Tampa that personally appeal to me...

Not Nice:
College Hill--Yikes.
Ybor--Too many pockets.
Suitcase City--Yea...NO.
Anywhere near USF...too much riff raff over that way
Brandon...not a bad area-but overly congested.

And of course this is just my opinion.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 AM

23 posts, read 33,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
got a question why is Tampa and Florida's housing market still crappy? other cities/states have recovered some. Possible that it will stay crappy for a long time? or is it getting better? what need to be done to get it going?

Won't be good if I move to Tampa and my house keep on dropping, it's probably the low now right? shouldn't drop much anymore?

Investors haven't come into FL yet?
as others stated, it's getting much better. Despite the racist comments made earlier, My fiancee and I did buy and close on a home here in November. We are closing on our first investment property in 2 weeks. There are still TONS of properties available but prices are going up. I think that the housing market must have just really been SO bad down here that it's just going to take awhile. I have a great realtor who also owns about a dozen of his own investment properties and he said that 4-5 years ago, he was getting properties all cash at 30-40k a piece that are now running 40-50k.

While we have enjoyed our time in Tampa thus far, I must admit, it's depressing to see how many problems it has. Keep in mind that we came from NYC, specifically Spanish Harlem which is a bit of a transitional area. It's not like we aren't used to seeing homeless and addicts out on the streets but I honestly see a helluva lot more of them here in Tampa than I did in NYC. Perhaps part of it is the nicer climate here, people can survive living on the streets year round, but all I know is that its depressing. When I drop my fiancee off at work Downtown and then take north florida ave all the way back up to Carrollwood, I'm stunned at how almost every neighborhood right around the downtown area is not that nice. Ybor was a huge disappointment. When we came to visit, we drove down 7th ave to eat at Columbia and we saw lots of bars, restaurants, etc, it looked like a thriving fun area but then everyone we talked to said "stay away from there" It didn't take long for us to see why!!!!

The mayor was on the news this morning trumpeting a grand 10 year plan to revitalize downtown with the cornerstone being the riverwalk being completed by the end of this year. I can't help but notice the lack of anything residential in the immediate downtown area. Great place to have lunch and a quick drink after work but by 7pm it's a dead area. Overall, I see great potential for Tampa to be a great place to live. Hopefully people like myself will come and invest in some of these properties and do the right thing to make them nice and help give people an affordable place to live and a "hand up" so to speak.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,036 times
Every where is what you make it there are million dollar homes in sulpher springs area and crime is every where i tried to tent one of my homes in sulpher springs to my sister she refuserd due to crime and moved to wesley chapel where her home got robbed twice where the home in the bad area has seen zero crime . So crime is everywhere ...

Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitblackk View Post
there are million dollar homes in sulpher springs area
Please... Enlighten me.

Outside of that, I'd take my chances in Wesley Chapel over Sulphur Springs EVERY DAY! I'd be less worried about my house being robbed and more worried about being physically assaulted.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,036 times
I agree with you but crime is everywhwer. Plus i know people steal from people with more which make better areas targets. But as well i have a home in wesley chapel and i never had issues there either. But there is far more conflict on the sulpher springs neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay