U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 AM

15,755 posts, read 32,814,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesummer View Post
Thanks so much for your positive words - it really helps ease some of the anxiety. As you said the whole country isn't doing well and it is scary everywhere but I can't sit around whining about not being happy and then not do anything about it, I would be annoying to myself. I am willing to work hard and do whatever I need to do to succeed. I think being near my family will have its ups and downs of course but I always know I have their backing on whatever I do.

Can you tell me what you don't like about Lakeland? I know someone who grew up there and thinks it is the greatest place on earth. I thought it was OK when I visited and knew that she would be biased because she grew up there. Orlando isn't my first choice, but my thinking was there were probably a few more jobs in that area.
I agree about Orlando, however I lived in Lakeland for two years a couple years ago and found it a beautiful and wonderful place to live. Like any city it has its bad parts, but the downtown has been renovated and beautiful, and Lakeland has more wonderful community parks and recreation facilities than I have seen anywhere else in Florida. The many beautiful lakes there almost make you feel like you are in a coastal town. Lakeland also has about 9 small private colleges, the largest being Florida Southern, so this might be a good possibility for you wanting to work in a college setting. They are also building a new branch campus of USF there. I highly recommend Lakeland for you, you should check it out. Plus, it is an easy drive to Tampa from there, for even more job opportunities.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,178,722 times
10 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And boy oh boy..... I have a lot to get done in those 10 days before heading out. Cannot wait though.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,849,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesummer View Post
Thanks so much for your positive words - it really helps ease some of the anxiety. As you said the whole country isn't doing well and it is scary everywhere but I can't sit around whining about not being happy and then not do anything about it, I would be annoying to myself. I am willing to work hard and do whatever I need to do to succeed. I think being near my family will have its ups and downs of course but I always know I have their backing on whatever I do.

Can you tell me what you don't like about Lakeland? I know someone who grew up there and thinks it is the greatest place on earth. I thought it was OK when I visited and knew that she would be biased because she grew up there. Orlando isn't my first choice, but my thinking was there were probably a few more jobs in that area.
I personally do not like the town myself. I also was thinking it would be a little too much drive to your parents if they needed you.

Follow what Gypsychic says, she has lived in Lakeland and I respect her opinion a ton.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,849,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post

And boy oh boy..... I have a lot to get done in those 10 days before heading out. Cannot wait though.
Oh yea Alaska!

We are happy for you.

OP- Read some of Alaska's post. You will be inspired.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I personally do not like the town myself. I also was thinking it would be a little too much drive to your parents if they needed you.

Follow what Gypsychic says, she has lived in Lakeland and I respect her opinion a ton.
Thanks, Sunny. We all have our different reasons for liking or not liking a place. My experiences in Lakeland were pleasant, we found the people super-friendly and helpful, we loved the beautiful lakes and downtown, and there was a lot of community spirit there. We loved all the free festivals and shows at Lake Mirror right downtown. Anyway, I also thought it might be a good choice for the OP because Lakeland has a more stable economy than the beach towns, I think there are more opportunities for jobs there, plus it is such an ideal location between Tampa/Orlando.

Couldn't pay me to live in Orlando, though! lol

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Hehehe - are we excited yet?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,661,355 times
Quote:

I'll bet your excited.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,178,722 times
Yep, getting excited.... but still have so much to do. I can tell I am not sleeping well with all that which needs to be done. Basically the next month of my life is going to be uncomfortable, disorganized and spontaneous. I knew it would be this way though, its not the first time I have done a long distance move (Previous longest move was Austin to Anchorage), nor the second.... or third.... lol.

Made a list of things to do each day to get us to our goal. We start/finish loading up the truck next Thursday.... so everything should be in place and pretty much ready to go by that Wednesday.

Friday, the day we leave will consist of me going to work, dropping the kids off at Grandmas (she is watching them while we make the drive and bringing them down in 2 weeks from us leaving) and then hitting the road for a solid 8 - 9 hours. Yes, that is right..... we are beginning to drive on a day I went into the office. My job is giving me until July 26 to report to the local office in Tampa. So I have to weeks to drive 5,100 miles, become familiar with the Tampa Bay Region, pick a neighborhood, find a house to rent, rent the house and begin buying furniture for the kids rooms so they are setup when they arrive (moving truck is to arrive 3 - 4 weeks after July 9th). Did I mention the drive is going to take about 8 - 9 days?? Yeah, I have a feeling we'll still be in a hotel by the time the kids arrive.

But hey, things are great. Got plenty of money in hand for the move, the van is in the shop getting checked from head to toe, we're on schedule and I don't have a cold (hoping I don't get one while on the road). Excited to stop at Edmonton Mall on the way down and hit Cedar Pointe Amusement Park (consistently rated best amusement park in the U.S.) . We're ready for the new adventure and looking forward to the good times and bad times ahead of us.

Before we know it we'll be in Florida and not even have to think about shoveling snow, scraping ice off my windshield, putting on th winter tires, getting the kids snow gear out, getting our SAD Lamps out to combat the lang nights. Can;t wait to take the kids to the drive-in theater to watch Despicable Me. I doubt the remember ever going to a Drive-In cuz they were so little. Oh and here's a kicker. I have remote start on my van (cuz of winters here), so it will be nice to use the remote start to cool it down before we get in it on those hot summer days.

Thanks everyone for all the info, insight and opinions you have provided. Without it, I would be at a huge loss with the region.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,661,355 times
I cant wait to read your'e "'Successful Move to Florida" story. Good Luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM

770 posts, read 1,626,498 times
^^^Me too!

Have a safe trip AlaskaKash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay