U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 26,357 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband I are relocating to FL from NY. We have been accustomed to cooking with gas stoves and not electric stoves. The problem is that we have seen many beautiful communities in the Riverview area. The one thing that stops us from committing to them is that there is no conversion from electric to gas stove. The only one we know that does offer gas as an option is Panther Trace. Can any of you great Floridians tell me if you know of any other communities that may offer gas as an option for me? This is my one must haves on my list to consider when purchasing a home. Commuting for work would not be an issue as hubby works from home. We do have two small children that won't start school for another 4 years or so. We have considered Riverview because of price point. We don't want to spend more than $200k for a 4br 2/ba home. Any suggestions would be helpful..now I am running out of gas on the issue... (no pun intended)

Thanks sooo much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,031,990 times
I recently moved here from Nebraska and I know what you mean! We looked at a house in Brandon (I think it was in the "Heather Lakes" area) and it had a gas stove. I was pretty shocked! I think its all few and far between though, that was one house out of the 6 we looked at that even had gas.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 AM

15,832 posts, read 33,168,534 times
You can call TECO People's Gas and find out about the availability in the area.

Natural gas is usually available within city limits in older parts of town. Unfortunately a lot of newer communities in the suburbs don't have it, it costs a lot of money to bring it in, and the demand is just not huge down here.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 26,357 times
rezfreak,

can't understand cooking on an electric stove..its like cooking on a hot plate..food does not cook the same..Thank you for the Brandon place..will definitely look into it.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,186,524 times
Also, be ware that our "gas" is not natural in most cases, is Propane. Herritage Propane is the company that supplies my subdivision up in Lutz, but BE really ware that propane prices go up with the pump for your car. In 2007 my gas bills were no lower than $300 with the highest coming in at $480... and we didn't want gas for anything, it just happened and we couldn't be happier when we went back to electric. I know what you mean about "cooking" with gas rather than electric, we had natural gas in Europe, but here in FL that's just not going to happen the same way as up north and it will cost a lot more to find a property that has "natural gas" versus propane which is most used in the newer subdivisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You can call TECO People's Gas and find out about the availability in the area.

Natural gas is usually available within city limits in older parts of town. Unfortunately a lot of newer communities in the suburbs don't have it, it costs a lot of money to bring it in, and the demand is just not huge down here.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,220,486 times
I live in Tampa Palms. We have gas lines that run throughout our community. If the house you buy doesn't have gas already set up, then you have to have someone come out and set up the line from the streets. Many communities have gas lines. Your realtor should be able to find out for you.

All I ever had was gas, in NJ/NY. I just did not want the extra expense of buying a new stove and paying for someone to come out and hookup the gas line.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,110,904 times
Seminole Heights in Tampa also has natural gas, however it is an older neighborhood. As Gypsychic stated it is in the city of Tampa.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,031,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPIFFY View Post
rezfreak,

can't understand cooking on an electric stove..its like cooking on a hot plate..food does not cook the same..Thank you for the Brandon place..will definitely look into it.
Yeah I agree- when I lived in Nebraska it was literally a life saver in the early 90s during a huge snowstorm that knocked out power for over a week. We were the only ones in our neighborhood with gas stove, so we were still able to cook food and heat our kitchen by boiling water. We had to cook all the time so that our neighbors could get food - we lived on a 2 block high hill with a turn halfway up, no way anyone was leaving or making it back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay