Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM

30 posts, read 59,754 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know that there are a lot of cars with 700, 800 and even more HP on ther track. But what if you need a peace of luxury? IMHO, BMW - is a kind of a luxury car. I just want to say that BMW offers you both power (expacially "M" series) and luxury. But when you speak about custom-made cars with a lot of power, then we must be honest - all these cars offer only extreme power, but not luxury. Most of them are made for track, but not for real life.

If we look at M3 or M5, then it's obvious that you can use these cars everywhere. They bring a lot of comfort and at the same time they are can be true beasts on a road.

As for me, I like Ford Mustang. It costs about 23K without taxes and it already has 300HP engine. I don't know which BMW model to take for comparison, but I see that only 335i Coupe has the same power, but you could almost buy TWO mustangs for the cost of ONE 335i.

What I like in Mustangs is their "angry" exterior and power. What I could dislike is their simple interior. As for BMWs I don't like it's price)) Maybe because I just can't afford it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

14 posts, read 26,476 times
i have to agree that most american cars leave something to be desired in the interior department but one has to realize that these cars are produced at a much higher number and handstitched leather dashes are not feasible. but the thing i love about us is that if we don't like it we change it. hence the strong car culture here. either way, i have alot of respect for the euro cars. they are the target in the new car world as far as fit and finish and may be the reason the american auto makers have increased their quality as well as power and efficiency. though deisel cars dont quite seem to be catching on yet, which i dont get. as for the luxury segment however, i am giddy over caddilacs reinvention and hope others are starting to see it. it is NOT grandads caddy any more. and they are going after those dodgey euro's

i have been in love with the CTS-V since it first came out. and it has been beating up on the beamers quite well. and soon, we will have the CTS-V coupe. 550hp in a caddilac and you can order it with a 6speed manual trans. makes me wish i made ALOT more money!

oh, btw, how is the license thing going?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Yes, I got my first driver's license 2 months ago. I passed both tests with first attempt.

You know, I decided to purchase a car and I used my foreign driver's license to get to the DMV office.

I also purchased an insurance at Geico, I decided to get the most cheap offer and still using it for ~$100/month.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
If you take a driving class, my friend's instructor took his students in his car for the test.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Thank you! But now I feel confident on the road. Want to make few repairs to the cars and I'll be ready for the trip to Orlando/Miami.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:05 AM

164 posts, read 460,473 times
Well done Serj I'm going to obtain the Florida Drivers Handbook too to start preparing, though Im still in Scotland right now! We are also looking at where to buy cars/type etc. What car did you buy? Where from?

Meant to start my new job in Florida tomorrow! but my work petition is still with immigration! Great fun!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Buying cars that are nearly new - from leasing companies or rental companies - might be worth looking into. Might be able to pick up a nice, slightly used car this way. Carmax.com is another way, never used them, but might be another good way to find a car. CarMax - Browse used cars and new cars online

Will it be difficult getting used to driving on the right side of the road instead of the left side as you do in the UK?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Tootsfromscotland

I bought 2000 Honda Accord. I found it on the Craigslist. I tried to find any good car at used-car dealers, but the cars were too overpriced there. I spend 2 weeks before found that Accord. I'm not sure that the previous owner took care of that car, so right now I'm going to make some repairs to the car and do some maintaince at auto service. Hope to spend not more than $600-700.

I have never driven on the left side of the road, so unfortunately I can't help with that and can't answer to BucFan.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Accords are reliable cars - but good to do maintenance to make sure all is well. Nowadays $600-700 isn't a lot to pay for routine maintenance. But good choice on the Honda. You're right - dealerships overcharge for used cars.

If you're looking for a used car, check out ads from retirees - like Sun City Center - where cars are usually taken care of or owners may need to give up their cars due to their own age.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerjR View Post
Tootsfromscotland

I bought 2000 Honda Accord. I found it on the Craigslist. I tried to find any good car at used-car dealers, but the cars were too overpriced there. I spend 2 weeks before found that Accord. I'm not sure that the previous owner took care of that car, so right now I'm going to make some repairs to the car and do some maintaince at auto service. Hope to spend not more than $600-700.

I have never driven on the left side of the road, so unfortunately I can't help with that and can't answer to BucFan.

I feel your pain. I looked for a car for almost 3 weeks. My challenge was difficult and my expectations were high when looking. Originally I was looking for a 4 door car with less than 100K for $5K or less.

I quickly learned that almost any car within that price range in Florida is going to have over $100K miles. To make my search even more difficult I began looking up reliability ratings on these cars. Yep, you guessed it the more reliable, the more the vehicle retain sits value, for the most part.

Coming from Alaska we don;t have too many cars with 100K+ miles on them. at 100K we consider the car old and used up (usually a large majority of the miles are city miles). So that took some getting used to.

Dealers especially in my price range were high priced and selling junk. Most everything in my price range required me to shop buy here/pay here lots. Saw some real interesting things on our expeditions. You can tell most cars were bought at auction and fixed up enough to make the operable. One lot had many part cars in the back, these cars had been in major accidents.

Anyhow, eventually found a 2001 Hyundai Accent 2 door manual, bare bones car with 101K miles. No leaks, no paint damage, clean car for $2K cash. This was high blue book price,but the car is in fantastic condition and I was finally at the point where I had to buy or start missing work. I also get 31MPG per tank of gas. Not to bad for a commuter car. We also use this car when driving to Adventure Island since it can fit the family and is significantly cheaper on gas than the minivan (16MPG).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay