U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 17,288 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am pondering a move from the Chicago suburbs to the Tampa/St. Pete's area.

I keep reading about the horrible crime and drug problems. Is the entire area a place to fear walking out to your car? Having lived in Chicago proper, I don't mind a bit of crime, but I'd like to feel safe in my community and comforted knowing that my car won't get stolen and I'm probably not going to get mugged.

Is the crime really that big of a deal, or is it just localized to certain areas as it is in most cities/towns?

Any comments on the crime issue are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,444,531 times
A lot of things are very exaggerated on this forum. I have never felt uncomfortable parking or walking anywhere in the area. Most of the crime seems to be concentrated in certain areas, areas that are easily avoidable. Crime in Tampa proper has decreased, while crime in unincorporated Hillsborough County has risen, primarily due to people leaving Tampa.

Tampa's problem areas are Ybor City, V.M. Ybor, College Hill, Jackson Heights, Sulphur Springs, Old West Tampa, and many of the neighborhoods bordered by 15th Street, Fowler, 56th Street, and I-4. Nebraska Avenue used to be one of Tampa's more infamous streets, but it has cleaned up somewhat over the past few years and some of the neighborhoods are in transition. The problem areas of unincorporated Hillsborough are Suitcase City, Clair-Mel, and Progress Village. Town 'n' Country is sketchy, but I don't know if it's as bad as people say.

I don't know about Pinellas County's crime rate, but I know St. Pete's is higher than Tampa's. St. Pete's bad areas are in South St. Pete, so south of Central and between 4th Street and 49th Street. The southern boundary is blurry. Some will say anything south of 22nd Avenue South is good, while others push it farther down to 54th Avenue South. Parts of South St. Pete are in transition, but the area still has lots of problems.

For the rest of Pinellas, there are a few sketchy areas in Largo and Pinellas Park, but they aren't dangerous, just seedy areas--the kinds of places where you'd expect to find petty car break-ins and small-time drug dealers. The same can be said about parts of unincorporated Lealman. Further north, you have the Highpoint area and a few spotty areas of Clearwater, but nothing too bad; probably not desirable, but not dangerous. The rest of North County is pretty safe.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 17,288 times
Thanks for the thorough response! Your detail is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 PM

15,765 posts, read 32,861,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
A lot of things are very exaggerated on this forum. I have never felt uncomfortable parking or walking anywhere in the area. Most of the crime seems to be concentrated in certain areas, areas that are easily avoidable. Crime in Tampa proper has decreased, while crime in unincorporated Hillsborough County has risen, primarily due to people leaving Tampa.

Tampa's problem areas are Ybor City, V.M. Ybor, College Hill, Jackson Heights, Sulphur Springs, Old West Tampa, and many of the neighborhoods bordered by 15th Street, Fowler, 56th Street, and I-4. Nebraska Avenue used to be one of Tampa's more infamous streets, but it has cleaned up somewhat over the past few years and some of the neighborhoods are in transition. The problem areas of unincorporated Hillsborough are Suitcase City, Clair-Mel, and Progress Village. Town 'n' Country is sketchy, but I don't know if it's as bad as people say.

I don't know about Pinellas County's crime rate, but I know St. Pete's is higher than Tampa's. St. Pete's bad areas are in South St. Pete, so south of Central and between 4th Street and 49th Street. The southern boundary is blurry. Some will say anything south of 22nd Avenue South is good, while others push it farther down to 54th Avenue South. Parts of South St. Pete are in transition, but the area still has lots of problems.

For the rest of Pinellas, there are a few sketchy areas in Largo and Pinellas Park, but they aren't dangerous, just seedy areas--the kinds of places where you'd expect to find petty car break-ins and small-time drug dealers. The same can be said about parts of unincorporated Lealman. Further north, you have the Highpoint area and a few spotty areas of Clearwater, but nothing too bad; probably not desirable, but not dangerous. The rest of North County is pretty safe.
I am a native of the area, and I can vouch that this post is 100% right on. Coming from Chicago, this area will probably seem quite tame, compared to the bad parts of that city.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,722,595 times
bad day to ask those of us from Tampa that question - we lost two police officers today -

Man sought in shooting of officers

Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,666,183 times
Coming from Chicago this area might seem tame. Coming from a small New England town it seems a little out of control for me. It seems someone's getting shot every day. It's getting really depressing to turn on the news. It's really sad about those two officers. I pray for them and their families.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,722,595 times
I was very concerned about it when I first got here a year ago - remember reading about people being assaulted with home forced entries, etc etc. But it seems to me that most of the bad stuff happens between people who may know each other or in very bad parts of town/neighborhoods.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,247,105 times
It's sensationalized a lot more here than where I lived before. Up north, the news would say, "There was a shooting on the SE side" and give a couple more pertinent details and that was the end of it. Down here, they go on and on and tell you every little detail that happened. Most of which I really could do without knowing. It makes it sound like it's worse than it is, imo.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,319 times
The Bay area is one of the safer places in which you can live. I have never encountered any violent crime myself in the bay area, at all, or felt threatened, and I don't know anyone who has either.

The most I've heard of is break-ins on cars or the like...my bike was stolen from my front porch one time...one time I had someone try to walk off with my grass-blower...but serious crime? Not bad.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM

16,233 posts, read 10,970,230 times
You will be fine in most of the rich areas if ya got the money to afford it. Most of the lower class areas i would stay well away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or