U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
175 posts, read 399,002 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

Went this weekend to look at a few homes in Lutz and Odessa. I was shocked at how rural feeling the areas are so close to Tampa. Most of the homes we looked at were not in developments with the exception being a horse community in Odessa and a home in West Chase. Do most people who live in the burbs not live in developments? Or did we somehow miss many of them? Does the commute get busy on the roads out in Lutz or Odessa or is it only as you get closer to city/airport?

Thank you for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Sacramento CA
1,342 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
Went this weekend to look at a few homes in Lutz and Odessa. I was shocked at how rural feeling the areas are so close to Tampa. Most of the homes we looked at were not in developments with the exception being a horse community in Odessa and a home in West Chase. Do most people who live in the burbs not live in developments? Or did we somehow miss many of them? Does the commute get busy on the roads out in Lutz or Odessa or is it only as you get closer to city/airport?

Thank you for your feedback
They sure beat Manatee or wherever you live in that 941 area code. Tampa burbs >> Sarasotas if you have to pick between a set of suburbs.
Parrish never compares to Lutz haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,448,485 times
Reputation: 1549
You somehow missed many of them. And yes, a lot of the roads get somewhat clogged, but nothing too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2010, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
2,524 posts, read 4,151,077 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You somehow missed many of them. And yes, a lot of the roads get somewhat clogged, but nothing too bad.
I agree. There are a lot of cookie-cutter style developments in Lutz and Odessa. But in the older areas of both there are some very nice areas with good sized lots and older houses with some real character. I looked in both places as well as Land O' Lakes, for which the same can also be said. It's definitely important to go visit potential properties in those towns....I was often surprised. Those that I thought I would hate I loved, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee
3,927 posts, read 10,592,564 times
Reputation: 5235
Ditto. There are several large developments, but thankfully most are either hidden within the landscape or the developers didn't bulldoze every twig. Of course there are a few exceptions... I'm guessing you didn't drive west on Lutz Lake Fern Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
175 posts, read 399,002 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Ditto. There are several large developments, but thankfully most are either hidden within the landscape or the developers didn't bulldoze every twig. Of course there are a few exceptions... I'm guessing you didn't drive west on Lutz Lake Fern Road.

I guess my question is not so much about finding a development, but as to getting direction on neighborhoods where families tend to live outside developments. I liked the area because you didn't notice housing tracks where large lots were bulldozed and stacked. We are looking at the Catholic Schools of St Lawrence and Tampa Catholic near Himes Rd, so I was also wondering about the drive. Are you better not being near 275 and taking side roads? Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
 
817 posts, read 2,004,706 times
Reputation: 999
Lutz and Odessa are the two burbs that pride themselves on being rural, honestly. If you go to other burbs, you'll find them to be more typically "suburban."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee
3,927 posts, read 10,592,564 times
Reputation: 5235
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherm941 View Post
I guess my question is not so much about finding a development, but as to getting direction on neighborhoods where families tend to live outside developments. I liked the area because you didn't notice housing tracks where large lots were bulldozed and stacked. We are looking at the Catholic Schools of St Lawrence and Tampa Catholic near Himes Rd, so I was also wondering about the drive. Are you better not being near 275 and taking side roads? Thank you for your input
I guess my previous post wasn't clear. There are many developments in Lutz/Odessa, but most are shielded by lots of trees and separated by lakes. I'd would estimate that 90% of the residents are in planned neighborhoods.

I've driven from past the two schools from my home to MLK & Himes many times. I'm located 2 miles West of Dale Mabry & Ehrlich. The drive during peak commuter hours takes 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and weather. If you're West of Dale Mabry, you can go south on the Veteran's Expressway (toll road), south on Dale Mabry, and south on Anderson. If you're West of the Veteran's (Gunn Hwy/Racetrack Road), you could go east to the Veteran's Expressway or South on Sheldon. If you're East of Dale Mabry, you will have I-275, Nebraska and Florida aka US41, and Himes. In other words, there are lots of ways to get to the schools from both Lutz and Odessa. I'm sure there are other routes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top