Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM

55 posts, read 233,774 times

Advertisements

Hi after seeing the youtube video from Bucfan, I wanted to see if anyone would want to share stories of alligators in strange areas, or anything worth mentioning?
Thanks!
Jessika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
I sincerely hope this thread does not turn into an alligators are evil discussion. We are on their turf, not the the other way around. Left to their own devices they run away from people. Those that don't have been made that way by being fed scraps by people when they are young. Respect them from afar and everything should be fine. You're far more likely to be injured in a car accident than by an alligator.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM

I absolutely agree. I am in no way saying that alligators are evil. This IS their turf. They DO belong here. No one has any reason to fear them obviously like I said, we are and have been living among them. I am just curious to hear stories of people. I am a paranoid mom that is all and I am not trying to spread fear. Yes I know that car accidents, lightening, etc. are much more of a real danger.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 PM

When we first moved here to florida, ( my husband is from this area), I was fascinated by them. Loved them in fact, no fears, but as my babies have become much more mobile and active my overactive worrying mind takes over, same with fearing sharks in the ocean. I grew up swimming in deep ocean waters, probably surrounded by sharks unknowingly. So ultimately I understand that my fears are probably ridiculous, but still it is interesting to hear of peoples experiences. That is what this forum is for, to share our stories, opinions. Make up your own mind in the end = )

Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 PM

109 posts, read 279,950 times
Where is Sun City Center?

We are moving to St. Pete on August 1st and I have been fearful of alligators since we decided to move (we're from MN). We have a 7 year old son and I'm wondering can he saftely ride his bike through the neighborhood? With him not being famililar with alligators (outside of the zoo!!) I fear he will panic and scare the gator?

How have you dealt with this with your kids? Can kids have freedom in the neighborhood?

I
What exactly should I do if I see one? And besides feed one, what should I NOT do if I see one?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
lol...he'll be fine, unless he's planning on riding his bike through swamps at night or something.

I am from Florida and used to go swimming in waters that had gators in them when I was a kid. Now, I'm not saying I would recommend this, but you have nothing to fear on city streets as far as animals are concerned.

Sun City Center is a somewhat suburban-ish/retirement community near Tampa.

One more time...alligators are not everywhere. If you see one in or by a pond, just leave it alone. If one is near your house and seems to be losing its fear of people, call animal control.

I live in suburban Tampa, and have three rentention ponds right by my house, with two directly behind me. I've seen three gators in the 6 years I've lived here. I take my kids fishing in the ponds all the time. If you keep a healthy respect for them, you have nothing to fear.

And no, they don't roam the streets looking for kids on bikes...lol...excuse my laughing, it's not AT you...I swear...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Here's a gator story for the thread...

I grew up on the east coast of Florida, in a small town called Jupiter. Jupiter has a river that runs through it, with some flood control canals running off it. The canals get more fresh than brackish and have gators in them. I had a friend who lived on the water there, and had a little john boat that we'd take out a lot.

One time we were out on the boat...I was probably about 12 years old...and as we made a turn two seat cushions flew out. Our wake sort of pushed them over to the bank of the canal. We had to make another turn to get back to where they were, and by the time we got back, they had drifted into some fallen tree branches.

My friend was steering the boat and I had to sort of fish them out of the water. One was easy enough but the other basically made it almost all the way to the shore. I had to step out of the boat to grab it...just as I stepped out, we both saw a gator...about a 5 footer...sitting about 6-7 feet away sort of half in/half out of the water...scared the CRAP out of me...lol...I think I jumped about 8 feet back in to the boat and my buddy reversed FAST....left the cushion there, needless to say

Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM

109 posts, read 279,950 times
Kevin,
I am laughing out loud for real right now! Your response was funny! I'm envisioning a gator chasing my screaming son down the street!!! LOL!

I'm sure the people who live in Tampa think we scary folks are nuts! Thank you for the info, it does help to calm my fears! Sometimes I think it's just ignorance that has us scared. I guess I just have to actually see one and deal with it to get over my fear!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 AM

42 posts, read 130,233 times
Are there a lot of alligators in Lettuce Lake? I'm going to be living near there and seems like it would be a nice place to hang out and watch alligators and other assorted animals from time to time.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I have been watching Gator 911 which is on CMT. I highly recommend anyone who is fearful of alligators to watch a few episodes of this show. After watching a couple episodes is has pretty much eliminated my over reactive fear of gators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay