Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
A couple? Are you kidding me?
No, are you?

What makes you draw such a conclusion? Simply because the guy had not been caught yet? You then assumed that the entire community must also share this sentiment? Then you back that faulty assertion with some clip of a couple of bozos on tv?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Turns out somebody TURNED HIM IN, and the police then arrested him. Guess all black people aren't like that after all huh?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Turns out somebody TURNED HIM IN, and the police then arrested him. Guess all black people aren't like that after all huh?
Yea, whatever lol

Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It was more than a couple of jerks. There is a mindset out there that is very disturbing.
They do not represent this community. I think you are just using this horrible tradedy and following circumstances an opportunity to preace what you think about this area. Its ironic though how only a few hours after you posted this, you were proven wrong.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
They do not represent this community. I think you are just using this horrible tradedy and following circumstances an opportunity to preace what you think about this area.
First off he turned himself in and I am glad he did.

It disturbed me to see people who couldn't get past their hatred for the police to have some empathy for the families.

The actions of these people speak for themselves, I found it very disturbing.

I am glad they showed it on the news, it needed to be seen.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I saw something very upsetting on the news. The lack of empathy and humanity coming from a certain community in regards to the two slain officers.

One young woman was tearing down reward posters and gave a shout out to her boy Dante.

Even if they resent the police and harbor hatred towards other ethnic groups, as a human being how can you not have compassion for a pregnant widow and a young mother left to raise four boys under the age of 10???????

He couldn't have gotten far and had limited resources yet those who know where he is refuse to speak up.

Just shameful.
This statement is so ignorant. I have been watching the news all week waiting for Dantae Morris to be captured and I saw something completely different. I saw a community brought together. I saw people with no affiliation to law enforcement putting flowers on the memorials, and giving donations to the families. I have seen people on facebook change their avatar to the TPD badge and post news articles praising the police and cursing Morris's name. The news has claimed that thousands of people have called them asking how they can help the families and the police. But you don't see that. You see ONE person tearing down a poster, and think it represnts the mindset of this community? Shame on you.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
First off he turned himself in and I am glad he did.

It disturbed me to see people who couldn't get past their hatred for the police to have some empathy for the families.

The actions of these people speak for themselves, I found it very disturbing.

I am glad they showed it on the news, it needed to be seen.
Through a third party

Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
This statement is so ignorant. I have been watching the news all week waiting for Dantae Morris to be captured and I saw something completely different. I saw a community brought together. I saw people with no affiliation to law enforcement putting flowers on the memorials, and giving donations to the families. I have seen people on facebook change their avatar to the TPD badge and post news articles praising the police and cursing Morris's name. The news has claimed that thousands of people have called them asking how they can help the families and the police. But you don't see that. You see ONE person tearing down a poster, and think it represnts the mindset of this community? Shame on you.
My post went over your head. It was more than one person who showed no empathy or compassion for what happened.

Yes, you're right most people did feel awful. How could you not?

My comments have to do with a certain segment of society who can't get past their hatred of the police to see these two men as fathers and husbands.

Dante Morris hid out in Tampa for four days and he had help.

Despite the reward amount going up over the last few days, no one was talking.

I cannot understand people who have so much resentment for the police, that they can't see them as human beings with family first.

Shame on them.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:13 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
First off I am not saying this is the right way to think but one needs to understand that in communities like these there is a history of police beating people down, at times for no reason, and of course that will leave animosity for cops. Things happen in poorer communities and police get away with things they do not get away with in suburbia. I can't nessicarily speak to this one area but I saw things in Miami neighborhoods that would turn your stomach. I also sat in as an alternate on a jury trial here in Tampa where I believe without a shadow of a doubt the police beat the crap out of this 16 year old kid for having a dime bag of pot on him.

Also, with regards to turning criminals like this one in. These folks still have to live in these area's and one way to get yourself and your family hurt or killed is to go to the cops and snitch. It's sad but it's the way it is.

And again, I am not trying to make excuses for what happened. I am just trying to offer a perspective, however perverse it may be, into a mindset and a community that many people know little about until something like this happens.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:32 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
First off I am not saying this is the right way to think but one needs to understand that in communities like these there is a history of police beating people down, at times for no reason, .
That is complete utter rubbish.

People ge treated the way they act. If you act like a disrespectful hoodlum, your gonna get treated like one.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of people making excuses for the criminals and blaming everyone else except the ones who rightfully deserve 100% of the blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: