Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 PM

54 posts, read 408,356 times

Advertisements

I find that Lakeland is pretty cheap. Anyone know what the commute would be from Lakeland to Tampa? Or is this to far of a commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
It all depends what part of Tampa and what time your commute is.
Distance is not bad but where and when will determine the amount of traffic.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
We are moving to Lakeland, and my hubby works in downtown Tampa. From the neighborhood we have chosen (2 mi. south of downtown) it is 1.5 miles to the Polk Parkway which comes out at I-4 - it is 35 miles total, and about 45 minutes. This will be a better commute than he currently makes from Dade City which is the same distance, but with FAR more congestion.

Lakeland is a fabulous town, we can't wait to get settled.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
When I first moved here, I lived in Land O Lakes/Lutz and commuted to Lakeland. It was an hour drive, no shortcuts, about 50 miles each way, but I was going against traffic so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 PM

277 posts, read 373,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
I find that Lakeland is pretty cheap. Anyone know what the commute would be from Lakeland to Tampa? Or is this to far of a commute?
Lakeland is so far from Tampa, but at the same time, I work and live in the south and west portions of Tampa and if you in Lakeland, I can only imagine how frustrating the commute would be. With that being said, determining where you like in Lakeland and where you work in Tampa will determine alot. I have several friends that live in Lakeland, but they work in the Orlando area. I guess you get the best of both places being in the middle of the two metro areas

Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 AM

169 posts, read 1,069,400 times
I 4 is now and will be for many years will continue to be "under construction".

We've done some traffic studies for developments in the area and the commute in to Tampa now would be no less than 45-50 minutes to downtown if you're driving in without traffic. If you add morning drive time (7A-8:30A within a 10 mile radius of downtown) then you can add 20-25 minutes if there's not an accident. All bets are off if there's an accident on I-4.

These numbers only apply for now. When the 10,000 housing units planned for the next 3-5 years in the Lakeland area go in, you will probably increase the drive time by 15-25% progressively. Until they widen the highway again.. ; )

Lakeland is a wonderful area with very affordable housing. However if you've got these commute costs, I suggest that you factor into your housing costs the tip distance at .60/mile for fuel and car depreciation and maint. to factor into the true housing costs. If you can work from home a couple of days a week that will help cut the commute costs.

Also, you have to factor what your time would be spent doing if you weren't in the car. If you're like me and use that time in a way you're happy with, then it's not "wasted time" if you would feel like you're missing out on opportunities with your family/friends/whatever you enjoy doing... then a two hour time investment in transporting to work each day may not be worth the other benefits in the trade off.

If you live there, you'll probably like Lakeland. It's a friendly city with plenty to do and it is close enought to Orland that you can enjoy both cities equally.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are moving to Lakeland from Pasco County. My DH currently drives 35 miles down I-75 and 275, and the traffic is pretty horrendous with all the building that has gone on here in the last 10 years with NO improvements to the interstates. He is always delayed to to accidents and the congestion where I-75 and 275 become logjammed north of town.

We will soon be living in South Lakeland just one mile from the Polk Parkway - again, 35 miles from his job in downtown Tampa. The Parkway bypasses Lakeland traffic and goes to I-4 right outside Plant City - he will then take this route up to the Leroy Selmon Expressway which leaves him RIGHT at his building! Overall, this will be a much better commute than he is currently doing. The improvements to the expressway which take commuters directly into and out of Brandon have done a lot to relieve traffic.

We don't care for Tampa, which is why we don't live there, but love the charm and amenities of Lakeland, which has everything we need, want and love - yet a reasonable commute to the bigger cities.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM

52 posts, read 237,363 times
Just wanted to get some input from people that may know the commute from Lakeland to Tampa...

I will be living near Lakeland Square Mall and will be working 3 days out of the
SunTrust Financial Centre building in Tampa (401 East Jackson Street).

From the sounds of it, the I-4/275 merge is pretty bad (although I doubt any traffic can be as bad as my current commute from Long Island to the Giants Stadium area in New Jersey ).

Are there any other routes I might be able to take to avoid 275, that will ease my commute?

Hmmm...now that I look at it, I can take the same route as gypsychic describes....I-4 to Leroy Selmon Expwy

Last edited by RECD Designz; 07-18-2007 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 28,368 times
Which way is the best to this address [FONT=Arial]4705 US Hwy 92 East Lakeland from Orlando International airport? We are foreigners. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Thanks very much.[/FONT]

Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Follow directions out of the airport for 275 north, take that a few miles to I-4 east, go about 30 minutes or so to HWY 92 exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay