U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 15,263 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have just finished law school in Minnesota and have put our house on the market in preparation for moving to Florida. We have family that live just outside of Tampa and we would like to live somewhere near Tampa with good schools as we have young sons. Our kids our excited about having a long BMX season in Florida than we have in Minnesota. I will be taking the Florida bar exam in February. During law school my focus has been on criminal law and I am seeking employment in the public sector if possible. My goal is find work prior to taking the bar exam so I can move the family to Florida before the middle of the school year. If anyone has any info on good locations to raise a family near Tampa or info on finding a legal job that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking your time to read my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,200 times
While I love living in Florida, our school system is a joke. I base my opinion on having raised 3 kids here, one an honor student who received an academic scholarship to college, one with average smarts who "scraped" by yet tested in top 5% on the Fla FCAT and my third, who will be a High School senior in the fall with learning disabilities. I believe all parents must put forth effort into their kids education and to the school for maxium benefits. I had to fight tooth and nail to keep my second child even interested in going and to get the help my third child needed. I finally give up on the public school and put him in a private school when he was in 10th grade.

As for your career, it seems we have plenty of drug cases but most of the defendants are lacking in funds by the time the State seizes everything they own. Have you been keeping up with the Pain Clinic issues that we have? Hook em and them Book em! Florida has a knack for putting non violent drug offenders away for long periods while using their dealers as CI's on the streets to make their arrests look good. We even have people in prison in Florida for driving on a suspended license here...imagine that? I hear now we going to start charging the prisioners a fine of $50 per day during their incareration.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,139,194 times
I don't know much about the job prospects for prosecutors or defense attorneys specifically (I am a corporate attorney) but generally speaking the market is tough for new attorneys. That's true everywhere, of course. Minnesota is a great school, you have that going for you. Having said that you will be competing with a lot of grads from Florida schools for positions working for attorneys who went to those same schools. If you can afford to take a public sector job it may be a little easier since a lot of people took out huge loans to go to law school and will be trying harder to get firm jobs.

If I were you I would consider looking into unpaid internships that may be available while you are studying for the bar and waiting for the results. I've known several people who have ended up with full time jobs from unpaid internships at prosecutors' offices (not here in Florida, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a good strategy here as well).

As far as where to live, I suggest posting as much information as you can regarding what you are looking for. This forum gets the general question "I'm moving to Tampa, want a safe family friendly neighborhood" about once or twice a week, so people sometimes just get a little tired of answering it again. It is also too general to really provide any meaningful input. Do you have a particular budget in mind? Do you want to be near the beach or is that not that important? Do you want easy access to Orlando? Do you want to be near nightlife, etc. The more information you can provide the easier it is for people to triangulate on a suggestion.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 PM

336 posts, read 856,562 times
Good luck. I just graduated and I'm (legal) jobless. I have a few friends unemployed after almost year of searching here. One went to a T25 and is a native.

As for locations, we'd definitely need more info as CrowGirl suggested!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM

515 posts, read 1,194,592 times
I don't know any specifics on jobs, however I do know that there is a tremendous amount of turnover at both the State Attorney's Office and Public Defender's Office in Hillsborough County. With the economy they're probably getting a lot more applicants than they used to, but I do know that they are always hiring.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:28 PM

13 posts, read 16,764 times
CrowGirl,

I thought I would ask you directly since you are an attorney. I live in Miami and my husband is a foreign attorney and just finished his Masters in Law. He will sit for the NY bar, and since he is not eligible for the Florida bar, he will not take it. We want to stay in Florida, but we already know that there are no jobs in Miami. (He did an internship, but never got hired.) His plan is to get a corporate legal job since he can't litigate in FL.

Do you think he would find something if we moved to Tampa?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,139,194 times
I replied to one of you other posts but I will DM you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or