U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM

427 posts, read 1,002,331 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of driving down to Miami one weekend. I haven't been there in years. I went to high school in Boca Raton but I was a little young to really explore South Florida. Does S. Florida have a busier, more crowded feel than the Tampa Bay area? I was comparing metro-area populations. Here it is 2.7 million people, Miami is 5.4 million. It's still not nearly as big as New York or LA, but it's a lot closer! Maybe I'd get the urban feel I want down there. It looks like there is graffiti in Miami. Not that I'm all for defacing property, but you usually find that in urban settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,441,379 times
It's a lot more rushed, a lot more close together, and the scenery is a lot more tropical. Those are the three things I notice the most when I'm down there.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM

17 posts, read 44,969 times
I lived there 7 years. I just moved away recently. It is definitely more rushed, more tropical, and it is very condensed. There is almost zero land left (with the exception of protected lands). I can't compare it to Tampa, I'm not from there. I can tell you, in all honesty, that if you are considering moving there, please secure a job first. Secondly, Miami has it's glittering materialism that everyone is attracted to. You need to have money to enjoy that. I had the fortune of living there on a significant income (6 figures), and I still felt like I was getting ripped off as far as my standard of living (compared to other areas), mostly regarding housing taxes & insurance. However, Miami has its advantages despite its costs. Only you can determine what is most important to you, and then decide if those tradeoffs are worth it to you.

What would you like to know, specifically?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:32 PM

817 posts, read 2,002,252 times
I have lived my whole life in Florida, except for three years in Texas, and most of that time has been in either So Florida or Tampa. I've lived on and off in Tampa for 11 years and 17 years in So Florida.

South Florida is much more rushed, fast-paced, and impersonal than Tampa. I have always compared the two areas by the transplant populations. Without insulting anyone on here, most of the transplants in So Florida are from the New York/New Jersey/northeast...whereas most of the transplants in Tampa are midwestern. The attitudes you see in each area are reflected by this...for example, in South Florida, you are much more likely to say...be cut off in traffic, or have someone cut in a line...or be more pushy...than in in the bay area.

OTOH, there are more cultural opportunities in So Fla than in Tampa.

As others have said, So Fla is slightly more tropical than the bay, although if you live in St Pete, there's not much difference in that regard.

I prefer the bay area, having lived in both. In fact, I moved back to Tampa when my kids got to be school age because I didn't want them growing up in the atmosphere that I saw down there (girls seemed to "grow up" much faster over there than in Tampa...if that makes sense...).

Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,703,010 times
Went to Miami a few weeks ago - South Beach - and there's definitely a different feel - as if you're in a South American country. Oddly, earlier this week I was in Orlando and had a similar feeling while in a few of the shopping districts.
And driving in both of those areas is much worse, imo.

I don't really get that same feeling in the Tampa area.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,852,321 times
There is a major difference between the Tampa Bay area and Miami. I have lived South Florida for 26 years, and I have worked in Miami a couple of times.

I agree the Tampa is more laid back---a more civil and rational daily existence. Miami, on the other hand, is much more frenzied and has the feel of a Chicago or New York. I know I will draw the ire of some Miami folks, but I find the people in the Tampa area to be calmer,more rational, and friendlier.

Miami has a more Caribbean flavor and feel to it. If you dont speak Spanish and you need directions in Miami you have to ask several people before you find one you can communicate with.

Look up the definiton of urban sprawl and Miami fits the definition perfectly. Miami, to me, has always seemed to a metro area without any semblance of urban planning. The only planning is, if you have the money to build condo, towers, malls, or other developments, by all means build regardless of urban logic or planning.

Tampa seems to have more a logical plan and progression to it. I know the board will light up with Miami defenders----fine no problem. I just flinch when we have to go to Dade county for anything now.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM

17 posts, read 44,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I have lived my whole life in Florida, except for three years in Texas, and most of that time has been in either So Florida or Tampa. I've lived on and off in Tampa for 11 years and 17 years in So Florida.

South Florida is much more rushed, fast-paced, and impersonal than Tampa. I have always compared the two areas by the transplant populations. Without insulting anyone on here, most of the transplants in So Florida are from the New York/New Jersey/northeast...whereas most of the transplants in Tampa are midwestern. The attitudes you see in each area are reflected by this...for example, in South Florida, you are much more likely to say...be cut off in traffic, or have someone cut in a line...or be more pushy...than in in the bay area.

OTOH, there are more cultural opportunities in So Fla than in Tampa.

As others have said, So Fla is slightly more tropical than the bay, although if you live in St Pete, there's not much difference in that regard.

I prefer the bay area, having lived in both. In fact, I moved back to Tampa when my kids got to be school age because I didn't want them growing up in the atmosphere that I saw down there (girls seemed to "grow up" much faster over there than in Tampa...if that makes sense...).

Totally agree.

We made friend with people of all types while we lived there. We loved the fact that on our street we had families from Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica,Columbia, Argentina, & Romania. My experience may have been better than some because this was a neighborhood of professionals. They were good neighbors & hard-working people. That's the positive side.

On the negative side: "Pushy" is definitely a word I would agree with as well. Anyway, also in our neighborhood, we made friends with some northerners, but it was not as likely. It is a running joke down there about the NY'ers. I have to admit, we had a hard time dealing with the NY attitude, NOT the foreign-born there. I really cringe to say that, because I met some really great people from up north, but it was my experience. The NY'ers wouldn't be the butt of so many jokes down there if there wasn't some widespread negative experience with them. It is what it is.

I'm hoping my dh won't get transferred back there, because of the same reasons mentioned above--the teens grow up FAST there. It was pretty appalling sometimes what we would see & hear.

I really love Florida--we will always consider it our home, despite its flaws, but I'd rather live in many other areas of the state than S. Florida, simply because the culture & lifestyle impede certain goals I have for raising my children. That being said, there are great things about S. Florida--it really depends on the individual & what their goals, needs & wants are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or