U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM

44 posts, read 181,501 times

Advertisements

ok let me clear things up. The suburbs of chicago offer more things to do than "downtown" Tampa, channelside, ybor or hyde park combined. Although we live in the nice suburbs here, we spend a majority of our time where things are supposedly "happening". For example, I went to the Taste of Pinellas last month. What a piece of crap. If I knew it was going to be tailored to cowboy boot/hat wearing country music folk, I wouldn't have ever wasted my time going there. Not to mention, the a majority of the food tents there were chain restaurants. If I wanted to go to Hungry Howie's or Perkins, I would just drive down the street. Not much mom/pop or independent anything here. Another example, my wife and I bought a small watersports boat and motorcycles to maybe drive some social networking with those our age with similar interest. Didnt work either.

And yes there are SOME young people here, not very many. ThethinkTank, please enlighten me on where all these young people are. Maybe you can help me to enjoy this place. And don't include downtown, ybor, channelside or soho/hyde park area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 PM

451 posts, read 843,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdimarco View Post
ThethinkTank, please enlighten me on where all these young people are. Maybe you can help me to enjoy this place. And don't include downtown, ybor, channelside or soho/hyde park area.
Sure, no sweat. I'll do that as long as you reply without using vowels.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Sure, no sweat. I'll do that as long as you reply without using vowels.

ll f ths plcs r bsclly strp mlls, vry smll.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,610,201 times
Tampa is not Chicago and the two have nothing in common (including mass transit). Our city is very small compared to the surrounding counties. Urban sprawl and strip malls mostly. There are a few areas with a mile or so of bars, restaurants & shopping, but there's nothing here like you will find on Michigan Ave or Wacker Drive. SORRY! If I were your age and working near Rocky Pointe, I think I'd want to live closer to the gulf beaches and enjoy what the area has to offer instead of looking for what you're used to here. That said, all the areas you mentioned in your original post have their positive and negative qualities. Hopefully you'll get some time ahead of the job start to explore each area and decide what is going to fit in with your lifestyle.

P.S. In addition to the places on your list, there are several highrises on Bayshore Blvd in Tampa that you should also drive by. Not a lot going on in the area (other than jog, bike, blade), but great views and close enough to your work and the entertainment and sporting events in downtown Tampa.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-14-2010 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
ll f ths plcs r bsclly strp mlls, vry smll.
Here's the thing-- I think your assertion that this is "definately not a 20 (or 30) something state by any means" is both wrong and quite irresponsible. I'm not saying this to be mean or put you down, only that it misrepresents Tampa in a negative light to prospective immigrants-- and is roundly untrue.

The city of Tampa is roughly 1/10th the size of the city of Chicago in terms of population. Thereby, it's fair to assume that Tampa will feature less neighborhoods and their individual populations to be less than their Chicago counterparts.

I lived in the city of Chicago for 8 years, and began my first year as a Floridian back in May. My experiences in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago and the demographic within it are almost identical to that of SoHo and Hyde Park. Mid-to-late 20s and early 30s in SoHo, early 30s to young families and beyond in Hyde Park.

Up and down South Howard, through Palma Ceia and Hyde Park, there are a LOT of indie, locally-owned restaurants, bars and lounges. Their clientele are primarily 20s and 30s locals. Head to Daily Eats on a Saturday morning and, after waiting an hour to get a seat, you'll find yourself surrounded by the young crowd you say is non-existent. Head to MacDintons on a Friday night, you'll find the same. Head over to Datz Deli on a Thursday afternoon for a noon lunch, yet again-- more of the same.

I don't understand how anyone could begin to suggest that greater SoHo is not entirely occupied by a young crowd. It goes entirely against all of my experiences in this neighborhood, day-in and day-out.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

78 posts, read 170,338 times
Me and my fiance are also from Chicago (Well Palatine but Chicago is close enough) and when we went down to Tampa to look at places to live we saw several people in mid to late 20's and even some of the local bar's hangouts we went to in Ybor, SoHo/Hyde had people our age having a good time. We weren't even trying to look for people either.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM

For the past 2 years, I must have been just missing these crowds of people. Just went to MacDintons over the past few weeks because it was listed as one of the best "soccer" bars in the Tampa Bay area. Again, sorely dissapointed with the emptiness especially during the World Cup. Here's another, I am obsessed with music, especially Alternative/Hard Rock. I play drums as a hobby. I have looked on forums for musicians to jam out with and network with here. Evidently, thats not very popular. I even have gone to concerts at the State Theater in St Pete to see some amazing mainstream bands (Breaking Benjamin, Red, Evans Blue etc) and only 30 people show up. In Chicago, small venues like this (Metro, Riv, HOB) would be bursting at the seams.

Basically everything you listed I have been there and done that, beyond that there is not much else this town has to offer. I understand that I may "have an answer" for everything, but I am a realist and my statements are very accurate.

Last edited by ksdimarco; 07-15-2010 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Just went to MacDintons over the past few weeks because it was listed as one of the best "soccer" bars in the Tampa Bay area. Again, sorely dissapointed with the emptiness especially during the World Cup.
We must be talking about a different MacDintons. I was there two weeks ago-- they had the lot next door roped off with a sound system, a bunch of outdoor TVs, a mini soccer field for pick-up play during the game, the bar was PACKED and there were people all over the street.

Soccer isn't my thing, nor is MacDintons really, but man... this must be the case of a parallel universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay