U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:13 AM

7 posts, read 10,922 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I moved to the Palm Coast/Flagler Beach area from Omaha, NE a year ago and as much as I have enjoyed the quiet beach town I have not met many people my age.
I am 22 years old and work in the healthcare industry. I am thinking about moving to the Tampa Bay area within the next six months, and would like some input on where the best areas to live are. Being a single female, I am definitely concerned about safety! I will probably be renting an apartment, so if anyone has any suggestions for apartment communities that would be great. I definitely want to live somewhere so that it is easy for me to meet people my age, and an area somewhat close to bars, restaurants, and concert venues.
Please let me know if you have any ideas for me. Again, I am looking for : safe, fun, and affordable communities.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,799,575 times
Depends a lot on where in the area you'll be working. Channelside/Harbor Island might be a good place if you're going to be working at Tampa General. There are several condo communities that have rentals on Harbor Island - and this is very close to Tampa General. Just an FYI: posters mention the problem w/ meeting people their own age as a problem here in Tampa as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 44,493 times
I'm 23 and looking to move to Tampa soon too (I'm a dude)

From what I hear...Hyde Park is an awesome place for us youngins. I went and checked it out when I visited and it was nice but it was also day so not a lot going on. Definitely a lot of younger people in that area though

Old 07-08-2010, 03:02 PM

26,765 posts, read 41,246,427 times
Maybe you can show beach_keen 06 around...just joking...

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM

817 posts, read 2,008,605 times
If you're in your 20s, you want to live in one of the following places...

1-South Tampa. If you can afford it, aim for Hyde Park or SoHo
2-Ybor...I wouldn't have said this before apartments and nice condos started popping up over there
3-Downtown Tampa....see Ybor comment. Specifically Channelside area or one of the new-ish condos anywhere
4-Old Northeast in St Pete
5-Somewhere on or very near the beach, mostly Treasure Island-ish area.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:38 AM

7 posts, read 10,922 times
Thanks for the input everyone =)
Are there specific areas I should avoid??

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM

817 posts, read 2,008,605 times
Areas to avoid-

Bad areas/high-crime (in no particular order)
1-Extreme south Tampa (South of Gandy Blvd)
2-South St Pete
3-Sulfur Springs area
4-Tampa Heights and Seminole Heights (I will qualify this...there are some AWESOME houses in these areas and they have been gentrifying for a while now, so it might be ok to live there...I just don't think you'd meet a lot of younger singles there...)

Areas you wouldn't want to live in because it's not young/single
1-Carrollwood
2-Brandon
3-Lutz
4-St Petersburg outside of downtown/old Northeast
5-generally, the suburbs

Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
Default Considering moving to Tampa area

Hello
We are considering retiring to Tampa area in about 2 years. We have looked around a bit and find that WESLEY CHAPEL area would suit us best. We are quite confused about the Short Sale and Bank Owned housing and which is the best bet for us. We want a quiet neighborhood with lots of activities, good neighbors. If we do find something now, would it be possible to rent the property? We are looking into a 4 bed, 2-3 bath, 2500 sq. ft. home built later than 2005 or so. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 PM

77 posts, read 185,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachy_keen06 View Post
Hello all,
I moved to the Palm Coast/Flagler Beach area from Omaha, NE a year ago and as much as I have enjoyed the quiet beach town I have not met many people my age.
I am 22 years old and work in the healthcare industry. I am thinking about moving to the Tampa Bay area within the next six months, and would like some input on where the best areas to live are. Being a single female, I am definitely concerned about safety! I will probably be renting an apartment, so if anyone has any suggestions for apartment communities that would be great. I definitely want to live somewhere so that it is easy for me to meet people my age, and an area somewhat close to bars, restaurants, and concert venues.
Please let me know if you have any ideas for me. Again, I am looking for : safe, fun, and affordable communities.

Thank you!
I was in a similar situation about a year and a half ago - totally new in the city, did not know a single soul! I have found it a challenge to meet people my age, but things are better than before. However, I am far from pleased.

If you are into the 'usual' stuff - partying, watching sports, etc I'm sure you'll meet plenty of people. I'm a little different - I've lived in many countries, am very cosmopolitan and I'm more interested in other stuff such as being active, the outdoors, art, travel, etc - and it has been a real challenge meeting people my age who are into this kind of stuff.I have tried meetup.com and many other things, but almost all groups tend to be dominated by single people in their 40's (with women dominating!).

I've been living in Florida for some time now, and I love Florida and I love the Tampa Bay area - it is indeed beautiful out here, and there's so much going on! I only wish there were more highly educated and more cosmopolitan young people with varied interests out here. It appears that most such people end up heading to NY / SF or similar places.

That's just my two cents. Good luck with your move,I wish you luck!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,999,371 times
I dont have any input since I'm new to the area myself, but wanted to say hi because I just moved here from Omaha, NE myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or