U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM

69 posts, read 80,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
Hi there Ironsmurf Blairgowrie in Perthshire here Going over on an H1B visa initially (yuk!...H1B hell!) but have guarantee from my employer that permanent residency green cards (Eb2) will be filed for immediately
Will need to share a white pudding supper with a pickled onion an' curry sauce on the shores of the beach some day in a few months time ! Or hmmm..maybe not...more likely to be a burger with fries ??
happy days.. do you have relatives/friends over there? been before? I love it.. just looking forward to sending pics back to livi around january of me on the beach while the rest are struggling in the horrid weather.. and yes natives of america.. I WILL be on the beach in january.. if its above 5 degrees with blue skies ill be the wee pasty guy in tartan speedos building a sandcastle on madeira beach! bring it on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM

164 posts, read 420,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
happy days.. do you have relatives/friends over there? been before? I love it.. just looking forward to sending pics back to livi around january of me on the beach while the rest are struggling in the horrid weather.. and yes natives of america.. I WILL be on the beach in january.. if its above 5 degrees with blue skies ill be the wee pasty guy in tartan speedos building a sandcastle on madeira beach! bring it on!!

And we'll be the ones helping yah! lol I'll be taking a few "jimmy" hats with me so we'll be easily recognisable
Nope no family there, nor friends! Will need to change THAT though! We used to live in West Palm in 94/95 but came home after a year and had our kiddies. Heading out again and going to give it another go This time will give it a real shot We've been holidaying there every 2 years so the kids know it pretty well too and are very excited by the prospect of the big adventure.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
And we'll be the ones helping yah! lol I'll be taking a few "jimmy" hats with me so we'll be easily recognisable
Nope no family there, nor friends! Will need to change THAT though! We used to live in West Palm in 94/95 but came home after a year and had our kiddies. Heading out again and going to give it another go This time will give it a real shot We've been holidaying there every 2 years so the kids know it pretty well too and are very excited by the prospect of the big adventure.
sounds brill.. defo keep in touch and me n my other half would love to meet you guys!! Rach works as a dancer in Busch gardens on a show called dance to the music so if you are ever heading that way please let me know..
Thats great you are giving it a go.. Im sure you'll love it.. I did a lot of networking when i was over last so if you need a good realtor or anything I can pass your details on.. all the best.. wish it was me but unfortunately the US immigration don't make things easy!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
sounds brill.. defo keep in touch and me n my other half would love to meet you guys!! Rach works as a dancer in Busch gardens on a show called dance to the music so if you are ever heading that way please let me know..
Thats great you are giving it a go.. Im sure you'll love it.. I did a lot of networking when i was over last so if you need a good realtor or anything I can pass your details on.. all the best.. wish it was me but unfortunately the US immigration don't make things easy!
Nope immigration certainly don't. However in many ways its a good thing and I wish UK would take a leaf out of the US immigration book!
We were in Sarasota on vacation in April and visited Busch gardens (again..for the umpteenth time! ) We're not into shows as such though and didn't see a dance show We also spent a day with a realtor and were shown some incredible houses!
I've befriended "Lavender" on here ...she's a realtor in the area and is also from the UK originally...She's been a great help so far and will continue to be (wink wink Lavender if you're reading this )
Never mind Immigration not making things easy...I just spent the afternoon with my parents who are absolutely dead set against us moving to Florida again, understandably I suppose I've been given the lecture on "being selfish and irresponsible" by electing to make this big move rather than opting to "stay safe with our good jobs here in the UK", Im "compromsing the kids education and potentially ruining their lives" amongst other things being thrown at me I knew they wouldn't be at all happy and Im having to deal with my conscience and the total guilt trip of leaving parents behind...How are your family dealing with you moving away?

Are you and your fiance having to live apart just now? That must be hard .

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 564 times
I just wanted to add in to this thread to Toots;
I am also from Scotland though I will be probably leaving when you come over here, but originally from Perth too- small world!
I hope you and your family will have a fantastic time over here!
Ive only been here for a month or so and have to go at the end of September, super jealous that you got a longer visa!
=P
Ellen

Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Nope immigration certainly don't. However in many ways its a good thing and I wish UK would take a leaf out of the US immigration book!
We were in Sarasota on vacation in April and visited Busch gardens (again..for the umpteenth time! ) We're not into shows as such though and didn't see a dance show We also spent a day with a realtor and were shown some incredible houses!
I've befriended "Lavender" on here ...she's a realtor in the area and is also from the UK originally...She's been a great help so far and will continue to be (wink wink Lavender if you're reading this )
Never mind Immigration not making things easy...I just spent the afternoon with my parents who are absolutely dead set against us moving to Florida again, understandably I suppose I've been given the lecture on "being selfish and irresponsible" by electing to make this big move rather than opting to "stay safe with our good jobs here in the UK", Im "compromsing the kids education and potentially ruining their lives" amongst other things being thrown at me I knew they wouldn't be at all happy and Im having to deal with my conscience and the total guilt trip of leaving parents behind...How are your family dealing with you moving away?.

Yes its a nightmare being apart but we've managed going to and fro for almost 3 years.. at least this time we know it will be permenant.. Lavender was who I was going to pass you on to.. Yeah very helpful, very nice but shocking choice of football team!
I did ok with the family.. my mum didnt take it well but she's coming round to the idea.. I think once I get my green card I can "claim them" so we could get them over for sustained amounts of time.. I can't see how you'd be "ruining" your kids lives. Theres problems everywhere but over there I think kids can be kids for longer.. more opportunity for them to have sporty and activity based circle of friends rather than Bucky or MD2020.. Thats another reason we are settling there.. As a kid nowadays would I b happier in Scotland or Florida.. hmmmmm toughy!!
Well we found out our cheque has been processed for the k1 visa so now its the waiting game.... soooooo bored.. just want to be there and definately before January when depression here really hits home.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes its a nightmare being apart but we've managed going to and fro for almost 3 years.. at least this time we know it will be permenant.. Lavender was who I was going to pass you on to.. Yeah very helpful, very nice but shocking choice of football team!
I did ok with the family.. my mum didnt take it well but she's coming round to the idea.. I think once I get my green card I can "claim them" so we could get them over for sustained amounts of time.. I can't see how you'd be "ruining" your kids lives. Theres problems everywhere but over there I think kids can be kids for longer.. more opportunity for them to have sporty and activity based circle of friends rather than Bucky or MD2020.. Thats another reason we are settling there.. As a kid nowadays would I b happier in Scotland or Florida.. hmmmmm toughy!!
Well we found out our cheque has been processed for the k1 visa so now its the waiting game.... soooooo bored.. just want to be there and definately before January when depression here really hits home.
Excellent news re the check going through Now you just need to sit tight and hope and pray things go through quickly I've to start my new job on the 4th October! CRIPES! I think Im going to have to go over on my own intially for a couple of weeks, then my hubby and kids will follow.
Lets spit on it that we will defo meet up once you are out there too!....a friendly scottish accent will no doubt go down a treat

Old 07-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveattraction View Post
I just wanted to add in to this thread to Toots;
I am also from Scotland though I will be probably leaving when you come over here, but originally from Perth too- small world!
I hope you and your family will have a fantastic time over here!
Ive only been here for a month or so and have to go at the end of September, super jealous that you got a longer visa!
=P
Ellen
Thanks Ellen! Glad you had a good time there...how com eyou were only over for a month? Have you been working or on holiday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay