U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM

305 posts, read 543,354 times

Advertisements

Really?

I guess I won't be going water skiing in Lake Tarpon anytime soon.

Man's hand found in gator's stomach, reattached
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,932,517 times
Ah, why not? Alligator won't be able to swallow the ski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Really?

I guess I won't be going water skiing in Lake Tarpon anytime soon.

Man's hand found in gator's stomach, reattached

Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,584,109 times
The article says the man was swimming in a canal in Naples at 9:30PM. Isn't it dark then? There are lots of freshwater lakes, streams, canals, etc. Why did you pinpoint Lake Tarpon?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM

305 posts, read 543,354 times
cause there's alligators in there

Old 07-13-2010, 12:25 PM

323 posts, read 605,779 times
Yep, it would be dark then. All I can say about this is....good job dumba$$!! So since they retrieved the hand from his stomach, I'm assuming the gator is now dead. I hope it was one helluva swim to warrant a dead animal and a trip to the hospital to reattach part of a limb..... some people are really bright.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Yep. Pretty stupid to be swimming in fresh water AT NIGHT at this time of year. Surely he didn't choke up the hand, so yes, I am sure they gator is history.

I've heard it said that in FL, if there is a body of fresh water, there is at least one alligator therein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Yep, it would be dark then. All I can say about this is....good job dumba$$!! So since they retrieved the hand from his stomach, I'm assuming the gator is now dead. I hope it was one helluva swim to warrant a dead animal and a trip to the hospital to reattach part of a limb..... some people are really bright.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,897,332 times
Agreed, you should assume there are alligators in every body of water, even if you can't see them they do travel from place to another. They warn ppl every year about not swimming in the early AM or in the evening.

Just like they tell ppl not to swim in the gulf or atlantic early in the AM especially with silvery jewelry on, sharks think it is bait fish.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM

817 posts, read 2,002,055 times
As long as you're not swimming near the shore of Lake Tarpon, you're fine. The gators won't come out to the middle of the lake...there's nothing to eat there and it's too far to swim for them. I take my kids tubing in Lake Tarpon all the time.

That guy was an idiot...swimming in a canal that is known to have gators, after dark...duh...this is just the sort of thing that makes northerners ask "do I have to be afraid of gators?"

Yes, if you go swimming in canals after dark, you should be afraid of gators.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Not to mention, its gator mating season. Females would defend nests, males defend their territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
As long as you're not swimming near the shore of Lake Tarpon, you're fine. The gators won't come out to the middle of the lake...there's nothing to eat there and it's too far to swim for them. I take my kids tubing in Lake Tarpon all the time.

That guy was an idiot...swimming in a canal that is known to have gators, after dark...duh...this is just the sort of thing that makes northerners ask "do I have to be afraid of gators?"

Yes, if you go swimming in canals after dark, you should be afraid of gators.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 AM

219 posts, read 478,064 times
The vast majority of alligator problems can be avoided by common sense. Everytime I read about a gator being destroyed for eating someone's dog the article states the dog was off leash. Had the idiot obeyed leash laws it would not have happended. Alligators were meant to bite. Just respect them as you would any powerful animal. I see people walking right up to them to see how close they can get -- would they try that with a bear? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay