Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM

35 posts, read 89,823 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to a more southern locale, and Tampa is one of the cities I'm considering. I will most likely seek employment at one of the hosptals there. There appears to be so many hospitals down there, that I am overwhelmed! I currently work at a university medical center, so something similar would be nice, but not opposed to a change, either.

Can anyone on these boards tell me how they like working at the hospital or medical clinic they work at and why? I am a CNA and have 8 years experience, so hopefully I would be able to find a job there. I evenutally would like to be a Unit Secretary or perhaps move on to a clinic.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
There are a lot of CNAs in our area - since nursing homes are abundant. Not sure how difficult it will be to get exactly the job that you're looking for. Might be very competitive to get the type of hospital job that your looking for. Univ of South Florida Moffitt Center has a lot of clinics that you might investigate (websearch) as well as Tampa General. St Pete has the Children's Hospital. There are a lot of hospitals in our area -and nursing homes as I mentioned. Would recommend using the search on this forum and on google as well.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:17 PM

35 posts, read 89,823 times
Thanks BucFan. I am also wondering about the area with zip code 33705 in St. Pete. There are a a few listings in that area and some houses that are very affordable. But, what is the neighboorhood like in your opinion? I will research it myself, but just thought some opinions from people who are down there and know the area would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
I was a nurse at UCH (University Community Hospital) I was laid off after 3 months.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 PM

269 posts, read 607,633 times
how about St Petersburg general hospital and Palms of Pasadena. Both are practicly in the same area with 10 minutes apart

Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I was a nurse at UCH (University Community Hospital) I was laid off after 3 months.
Wow, registered/licensed practical nurses getting laid off. What about the nursing shortage?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Wow, registered/licensed practical nurses getting laid off. What about the nursing shortage?

Tell me about it they always claim that there will never be a health shortage. Yeah right you cant find a job anywhere around here. I went to an interview the other day...They claimed it was a facility to help the elderly, yeah I drove past the house and it had "Assisted Living Facility" written in spray paint outside. I didnt go in. I wish I lived closer to pinellas to get a job at one of the better hospitals but were moving in December back to our homestate because my fiance got an awesome IT job their. We have one of the best hospitals so Im gunna try my luck when we move back.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Tell me about it they always claim that there will never be a health shortage. Yeah right you cant find a job anywhere around here. I went to an interview the other day...They claimed it was a facility to help the elderly, yeah I drove past the house and it had "Assisted Living Facility" written in spray paint outside. I didnt go in. I wish I lived closer to pinellas to get a job at one of the better hospitals but were moving in December back to our homestate because my fiance got an awesome IT job their. We have one of the best hospitals so Im gunna try my luck when we move back.
Good luck. I'm a nurse, but not practicing - don't need to work thankfully.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nursing schools are currently graduating far more students than can get jobs especially in hospitals. Hospitals only want to hire those with experience.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
This is a real shock to me. All I ever hear is how, if you're in the medical profession, there are loads of positions open in Florida. In another thread on this forum, a man claims that his wife, an LPN, started working in a Tampa hospital at a rate of $20/hr. One thing I noticed when I was in a Port Charlotte hospital in May was that most of my nurses were not Registered Nurses. I wanted to ask someone, but I thought it would be rude, so I'll ask on the board since it's anonymous! LOL Are RNs being being replaced by LPNs because they cost less to employ? I realize there's a big difference in education, but I'm curious if this is a growing trend in a bad economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay