U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,141 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa, FL. I am planning on buying my first home, but I have the lease with the current apartment that I'm renting for next 10 months. My lease states that I'm responsible for all the rent until the unit is rented out, plus responsible for all the specials that I received. I spoke with the leasing office they wont allow to sublease, but if I bring someone to rent my unit (fresh 12 month lease) than I only have to pay the the discounts back.

Also I'm planning on buying a home using FHA loan, so I believe I cannot rent the home I'm buying so I ca continue to live in the rental apartment until my lease gets over there.

I thought worst case I have to let go my security deposit and pay a couple of months rent, but cannot afford to pay the rent for the whole year and I'm certain, the leasing office will make sure the unit is not rented.

I know little about the laws that govern rental leases, or if there are anyways to rent the house until my lease is over, any suggestions.
thanks,
Pakiov

Last edited by pakiov; 07-16-2010 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: state location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,587,739 times
This brutal, man. First, check what exactly your lease says. I was in the same situation a summer ago and when I signed a 12 month lease I knew that I would loose a security AND one month rent and let them know my intentions a month ahead, if I wanted to break anytime. You must be recieving a whole lot of special to guarantee that you can't break without paying the whole 10 month. That's unbeleiveable!

Also, even if you SIGNED a lease or any document for that matter agreeing to do something, it doesn't mean someone can punish you excessively, period. That's the law. I would talk to the leasing office and at least offer a reasonable lease breaking. In many places a reasonable time to find a new tenant is 3 month. So, I will be surprised if they ask you more than that. Talk to a lawyer who can help you understand your right. A couple of hundred may go a long way.

Good luck

Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM

156 posts, read 301,774 times
I'd be careful, I think the leasee can put a hit against your credit rating if you back out of the lease. Wouldn't look good when you're buying a home.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM

68 posts, read 235,572 times
This happened to us when we moved down here. We ended up paying for an empty house for 8 months before we were able to sublease it. Getting yourself evicted might be the easiest/cheapest way out of it. Pay your neighbors a few bucks to complain about you having loud parties.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM

26,747 posts, read 41,099,246 times
Unless the Landlord is trying real hard to find a new tenant and you as well are trying and succeed to find a new tenant...you are stuck on what you signed for, unless there is a special clause in it.

Most lease contract's won't have it, mine have in it that a tenant is responsible until a new qualified tenant is found and the sec. deposit will not be returned. Also the tenant has to pay for the painting of the interior since I have to have it painted way before it was expected to be painted.

If the LL doesn't do anything to find a new tenant and has no proof of advertising or denying a prospect for no reason, than you have a case in small claims court and get the money back since judges don't like a LL taking advantage of the situation.

Buying a home is for sure no reason for breaking the lease and it can take months before you close on a house.

First you need to get pre-qualified since I doubt you are going to pay cash for the entire deal.

Than you have to find the house of your dreams and if you make an offer it can take a few days or longer before you and the seller on the offer. If it is bankowned it can take even longer and than the title search, etc. has to start....if any repairs need to be done it can take even longer.

You might be optimistic but before you know your lease might be ended and by that time you either may or may not have closed on a home...Good luck

Old 07-16-2010, 04:47 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,975,171 times
You might have better luck in the rental forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM

877 posts, read 1,684,877 times
Why would you buy a house when you still had 10 months left on your lease?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,133,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
Why would you buy a house when you still had 10 months left on your lease?
Exactly.

Keep it simple: Stay where you are, and start looking for a home 2-3 months before your lease is up.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,141 times
Thanks guys, as Bentlebee said, this is a lengthy process and time may just run away, I 'll stay put for now and start after a few months.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 AM

436 posts, read 842,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiov View Post
I live in Tampa, FL. I am planning on buying my first home, but I have the lease with the current apartment that I'm renting for next 10 months. My lease states that I'm responsible for all the rent until the unit is rented out, plus responsible for all the specials that I received. I spoke with the leasing office they wont allow to sublease, but if I bring someone to rent my unit (fresh 12 month lease) than I only have to pay the the discounts back.
Florida has the worst laws in the country for renters.

Your landlord can let that apartment sit vacant for every day of the ten months while charging you the full value of the lease.

Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay