U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times

Advertisements

We are movung to St petersburg but found out there are great schools in Seminole.Can anyone give me any advice?How safe is this area?And how expensive is it?I have two kids and looking for family oriented,safe area with great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,448,485 times
Yeah, Seminole is supposed to have good schools. Crime isn't much of an issue aside from petty little crimes that you can't never avoid. Seminole doesn't have its own police force, so you can look up data with the Pinellas County Sheriff. I can't imagine that Seminole would be all that expensive. Most of the housing stock is your typical 1960s-70s homes since Seminole didn't really exist before then (the city was incorporated in 1977, making it the youngest in the county).

One good quality is that you'd be very close to Indian Shores and Madeira Beach; you may even be within bike riding distance. The city boundaries don't officially touch these areas, but that whole part of the mainland is lumped into Seminole, including unincorporated areas like Oakhurst, et cetera.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 PM

921 posts, read 2,216,700 times
As a resident of Seminole since the early 70s, I agree with post #2. I left for Land O Lakes in 03 to 09. Now I'm back in Seminole. I am also looking for a house. It is tuff. Older houses that still get top dollar. I guess if you plan on staying long term it is not as a big deal. Location is key.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM

707 posts, read 1,333,538 times
My fiancee grew up in Seminole. He loves it because of how close to the beach is. The schools are great both him, his sister, and his friends all graduated with over a 3.0. His parents (my idiotic inlaws) hated it because they couldnt afford their mortgage when there mortgage was only around 130,000 dollars. (I just think that if they stopped vacationing to Europe all the time they would have been able to afford it)

Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,192,347 times
I moved to this area... moved into our house this weekend. Seminole has a lot of older homes in a variety of values. I like the area. It's more of a bedroom community... which I like. It is very close to the beaches and seems very safe. Seminole has a fantastic rec center which is free if you live in Seminole proper (city limits). Unfortunately I live in unincorporated Seminole and must pay $120/yer for each person if we wish to have access to the rec center. We're thinking about it.

The only complaint I have in regards to Seminole is there is no highway that goes to Seminole which will get you to other areas of the area. Other than that, so far, so good. I don't think we could have picked a better area for the family.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:03 AM

The actual City of Seminole is quite small and centered around Seminole Mall. Seminole is also an umbrella term for most places west of the bayou and south of Ulmerton, with the Intercoastal Waterway forming the other borders. A lot of the time you can only tell where you are by looking at the street signs. Even then, the other side of the street might be in a different jurisdiction.

The City of Seminole uses blue street signs with Chief Osceola:

Unincorporated Pinellas County uses this style of sign:

The lack of limited-access highways sucks, but that's the result of anti-freeway zealots in the 70s. If they thought Pinellas County was done growing in the 70s, they should've seen the next twenty years!

Fun fact: Seminole Boulevard ends in a stack interchange. This was the only built portion of the aborted Central Pinellas Expressway.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,637,408 times
Great family environment, good schools, very safe, close to beaches, lots of housing options, go for it!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM

32 posts, read 64,280 times
Default curse you 602 and 70s architects!

Are there any other style of houses in the Seminole area that are not ranchs (besides townhomes)?!?!?!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Not too many, unless you find some newly-built ones.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,637,408 times
There are some, but they come at a cost, as the building is pretty dense around the area. There are some lovely wooded areas south of Park, but be careful that the school districts work for you there.
Also if you are interested in Seminole schools, bear in mind some of the beach areas are included now since rezoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay