Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM

227 posts, read 728,327 times

Advertisements

I've been getting some great information both through the replies to my posts and also through all the reading I've been doing here and in some other forums.

I know there are a bunch of posters living all over Pinellas County to I would ask for the majority of the feedback from them if possible

We are relocating from Miami to Tampa area for my husband's job. He will be working for a company located at the eastern side of the airport.

The suggestions I've gotten have been areas around the airport or South Tampa and we have checked all of them. South Tampa is nice but there simply isn't enough inventory to find something that fits our needs. So since he will be working from 2:30 pm to almost midnight we have decided a commute is fine. What we have seen so far of St. Pete, Clearwater, Palm Harbor, etc. has been nice. Reminds us a bit of living in Miami and there are just many more options for us to choose from with our dogs.

So the most important things for us are:
***relatively straightforward and not too many miles overall to the airport. We know it's around 25 miles from most of the areas we have considered but I'm not sure which of the bridges is the easiest etc. We only saw Tampa last Thursday and drove across to St. Pete around 4:30 pm in blinding rain so not much to tell.

Otherwise if we can find an area, town, city that is:
***walkable in case we go back to sharing one car it would be great. We live in a so so area of Miami - not completely ghetto but definitely not far from some really shady areas, and I don't really go out at night in our neighborhood.
***It would be great if we could actually feel comfortable sitting in our back yard at night, had parks/library we could walk to, and
***kid friendly things to do. oh and farmers market.

so which cities/towns/neighborhoods and why,
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 AM

227 posts, read 728,327 times
no one wants to jump in?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 AM

305 posts, read 610,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
no one wants to jump in?
We like East Lake (Palm Harbor) alot.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM

471 posts, read 1,661,015 times
I would recommend you look at Safety Harbor

Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
I would recommend you look at Safety Harbor
Second Safety Harbor

Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Safety Harbor is indeed a charming town, and personally I love it; but it is VERY small. Based on OP's previous post, I got the impression they were looking for a bit more urban? If so, I don't think it will fill the bill. I do think somewhere in South Tampa is more what she is looking for, especially to stay within the recommended commute and walking distance to shopping, etc.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
So the most important things for us are:
***relatively straightforward and not too many miles overall to the airport. ...
***walkable in case we go back to sharing one car it would be great. We live in a so so area of Miami - not completely ghetto but definitely not far from some really shady areas, and I don't really go out at night in our neighborhood.
***It would be great if we could actually feel comfortable sitting in our back yard at night, had parks/library we could walk to, and
***kid friendly things to do. oh and farmers market.
Look in the Old Northeast section of St. Pete. It's ~20 minutes to TPA at the hours you're talking about (straight shot up 275). It's a relatively short walk to downtown (restaurants, shopping, museums, libraries, art galleries, festivals, etc.). It's plenty safe and family friendly. It's adjacent to parks along the bay (including a little bay beach, public pool, playgrounds, etc.). And there's a farmer's market downtown on Saturday mornings (fall through spring). The public schools that service the neighborhood are average, but probably better than where you are now if you're not even comfortable sitting outside at night.

Safety Harbor is another good option, but I think the town may be smaller than what you're looking for. Much less to do there. The pubilc schools (at least elementary and middle) are reportedly good, and lots of families there.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
You should probably include Oldsmar in your search for the right place. Following is a video from the City of Oldsmar but it over-inflates the truth somewhat http://02d3512.netsolhost.com/videos/oldsmar_promo_video.wmv (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay