U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM

8 posts, read 17,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I think South Florida is more suited to what you're looking for. You're probably like most of the people in this world who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I've given the Tampa Bay area many years and it has disappointed me in many ways with jobs and culturally. I only visit because my best friend works there and my family still lives there.

Where in South Florida would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,916,778 times
I moved from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa. There, one of my many gaybors told me he wouldn't date a guy who had gone out with a black man. Meanwhile, my str8 next door neighbor, an otherwise harmless guy, told me upon Obama's win that he hoped it wouldn't make blacks feel too good about themselves.

Here in Tampa my born again neighbor commented to me about one of our newer-than-even-me neighbors who have been living together unmarried for a few decades, but she left it at polite mention without offering further commentary. I've since met them and found them to be lovely people. Being near the university, many of my neighbors are phd's, ranging from head-covered Muslims and Jewish to liberal as me. Most all of us greet each other hello during sunset walks. Just the other day, the younger of two guys working on one of my houses here commented how he learned that one of his friends was gay, which was hard for him to comprehend at first because he didn't "act gay". I did not notice the other guy, a Christian rocker, declare derisions.

Certainly you want to live in an area generally safe from attack. Tampa is such a place. Even in Fort Lauderdale, just a few years ago, we had some creep drive up onto a sidewalk to run over a gay guy. Idiots are everywhere. Do not live in fear of them. The more comfortable you are in your own skin, the less the insecurities of others will affect you.

So far I have not found Tampa Bay to be an abundance of intolerance. Though if that is what you are looking for, you need not look any further than this very forum, where, generally, black populated neighborhoods are covertly referred to as "bad areas" and where notice is given of museum openings but not of the largest gay pride parade in Florida which draws people to party by the thousands.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,797,766 times
To me it seems like St Pete is the most liberal.

I would rank it like this

St Pete
Tampa
Clearwater

All suburbs of both cities, similar. Largo might be less tollerant than Brandon though, still not sure.

I would say also that Tampa is a live and let live city, but people aren't openly gay as much as some places. St Pete seems more out there actually.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

346 posts, read 1,241,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccampbell3 View Post
Where in South Florida would you recommend?
I'd recommend anywhere in Broward or Palm Beach County. I live in Broward. I moved here from the Tampa Bay area in 1998 and never looked back. It's just a mix of every culture down here. To some it's not very appealing, but it's great to others. It just seems more like a place you'd be looking at than the Bay Area.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Overall it is pretty much live-and-let-live in most of Tampa. There is a lot of diversity here, people from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds lots of Latino, Afro and others, there are no major issues there. Tampa has ALWAYS been a melting pot, going back 100 years or more. There are a lot of gay neighborhoods too, a big one is in Ybor City (nicknamed Gaybor now) and another in Seminole Heights. Many other gays/lesbians just live in whatever neighborhood they like.

Hope this helps.
Yup, little bit of everybody here. You can find what you want, and nobody really cares.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 4,604,434 times
Quote:
I'd recommend anywhere in Broward or Palm Beach County. I live in Broward. I moved here from the Tampa Bay area in 1998 and never looked back. It's just a mix of every culture down here. To some it's not very appealing, but it's great to others. It just seems more like a place you'd be looking at than the Bay Area.
What are you doing here, then?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM

346 posts, read 1,241,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
What are you doing here, then?
I actually checkout all the forums of all the places I've lived because I do visit from time to time and checkout what the people in the area are discussing about and sometimes provide helpful tips if I'm familiar with a place around that area. Because I don't live there doesn't mean I don't visit. I do things there from time to time, I just don't live there. I also visit the Orlando forum because I use to live there, have family there, and own a property there. It's always good to be informed and read as much as possible about your immediate surroundings and things near your friends and family.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 PM

I'm certainly NOT looking for intolerance! Thanks for the honest reply. I would give your neighbor a shock too--unwed and "living in sin!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I moved from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa. There, one of my many gaybors told me he wouldn't date a guy who had gone out with a black man. Meanwhile, my str8 next door neighbor, an otherwise harmless guy, told me upon Obama's win that he hoped it wouldn't make blacks feel too good about themselves.

Here in Tampa my born again neighbor commented to me about one of our newer-than-even-me neighbors who have been living together unmarried for a few decades, but she left it at polite mention without offering further commentary. I've since met them and found them to be lovely people. Being near the university, many of my neighbors are phd's, ranging from head-covered Muslims and Jewish to liberal as me. Most all of us greet each other hello during sunset walks. Just the other day, the younger of two guys working on one of my houses here commented how he learned that one of his friends was gay, which was hard for him to comprehend at first because he didn't "act gay". I did not notice the other guy, a Christian rocker, declare derisions.

Certainly you want to live in an area generally safe from attack. Tampa is such a place. Even in Fort Lauderdale, just a few years ago, we had some creep drive up onto a sidewalk to run over a gay guy. Idiots are everywhere. Do not live in fear of them. The more comfortable you are in your own skin, the less the insecurities of others will affect you.

So far I have not found Tampa Bay to be an abundance of intolerance. Though if that is what you are looking for, you need not look any further than this very forum, where, generally, black populated neighborhoods are covertly referred to as "bad areas" and where notice is given of museum openings but not of the largest gay pride parade in Florida which draws people to party by the thousands.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks--I will certainly look into those areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post

Quote:

Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM

77 posts, read 185,378 times
I'm a young professional, and I've been living here for a little over a year. Here are my views:

1] I've not come across intolerance or intolerant people anywhere in this area, so I wouldn't say that is a problem.

2] However, I've faced problems galore when it comes to meeting educated and quality young professionals/ people of my age group who have similar interests. I have lived in several countries, I'm very cosmopolitan, have tons of interests and I embrace diversity. Most people in my age group I've met tend to be the exact opposite.They will be very reluctant to mix with you if you're not 'like' them. I've tried it all - meetup.com, sports leagues, etc etc.I've even been to meetups/ gatherings where I was the only person below 45 !

I love the Tampa Bay area and it is indeed beautiful, but I wish things were better when it comes to this aspect. Again, it is worth nothing that if you are into watching sports and drinking all weekend, you will find tons of company. If you have varied interests -good luck finding open-minded, cosmopolitan, widely-traveled and intelligent folks, particularly youngsters!

No wonder, Tampa Bay ranks very low on the list of 'Best Cities for Young Professionals'! I hope this changes. As I mentioned before, this is indeed a very beautiful place, and there is so much going on here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or