Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times

Advertisements

I didnt read the entire thread, just the first and last pages, but I am also a native New Yorker, born and raised on Long Island. It is obvious to my friends that are from elsewhere that I am definately a New Yorker.

I cannot fathom why someone would move here from LONG ISLAND and move to friggin' Hernando County. WHY wouldn't you move to Tampa if you liked the NY lifestyle and pace so much? Hernando, Pasco, Polk, are a FAR CRY from anything remotely resembling ANYTHING in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT). Tampa offers a lot of big city amenities and quicker pace of life, without the taxes and rudeness and cold weather of the north.

I dont feel bad for her being unhappy here... she is also a moron. Freeport is a conjested mess and you couldnt PAY ME to live there. My mother still lives on long island and is paying $12,000 in taxes a year on a 1400 sq foot home. NOBODY is moving to long island.

But again- dont move to Florida outside of any city limits and not expect to find total redneckishness. Hell, go to NY. My father has a summer home (lives in Boca in the winter) about an hour from binghampton... nothing but hillbillys. If she didnt want rednecks and wanted to be around people who dont look like slobs who live a little faster and work a little harder, shoulda moved to south tampa... not Hernando. That would be like someone wanting the NY lifestyle and moving to Fishkill county or Hancock county upstate NY. Some people are idiots.

People like liz will be unhappy and there is nothing you can say in an 11 page thread that will change that. it is HER fault for moving to hernando and expecting Dubai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
HA, this post is funny. She moved to Hernando County... that was her first mistake. Long Island to Hernando.... talk about worlds apart. Her second mistake was to live in an area where all the meth heads are missing their teeth. Geeze. I bet her life in NY was pretty terrible as well which is probably why she ran away from there trying to find a better life. Moving entirely based on cost of living is foolish. If that's the case, move to Alabama or Kentucky.

Attention: To those who are moving thinking life will be better elsewhere just because you moved are fooling yourselves. Odds are if you were lazy, uninspired, unmotivated and generally sad overall in your old place of residence, you will feel the same in a new place of residence... regardless where it is. Problems tend to follow people, especially those who don't understand this.
I hope you are not buying into what some of these other posters say after being here for such a short time.

I think here biggest problem was moving here and buying a house towards the top of the market, not researching enough, not realizing that most jobs aren't going to hold your position for you to have a baby if you have only been there a very short while, etc.

She just wants to blame everyone but herself.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
I've got relatives that were origionally from Long Island who picked up a nice little eight acre piece of heaven in Hernando County and wouldn't trade it for the world. As they say, it's a lot better to live where it's peaceful and serene and travel to the congestation than to live in the congestion and have to travel to get a little serenity. I know a awful lot of people who really don't want to go anywhere south of Hernando County. There's more than a few toothless meth heads down that way. Take a look around.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:38 PM

130 posts, read 265,307 times
I would rather be around rednecks then rude city folk from New York city any day of the week! If I have a flat tire chances are the redneck will stop to see if I need any help and the New Yorker will just fly past and give me the bird. The problem areas of Hernando County seem to center around parts of Spring Hill and these parts are mainly New Yorkers. Go figure.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I had to chuckle when I read this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz0872 View Post
Goodbye to the 50 motorized shopping carts per store that people who are not handicapped use to clog up the isles and stare at the salad dressing in the above said Wal-Marts. Shame on you all.
Yes, there are many ignorant people who think they're in an amusement park, but let me tell you a story. In May I had a bad accident and fractured my pelvic bone and, after being stuck in a wheelchair and using a walker at home, I finally was able to drive to the supermarket after about 6 weeks. I had no trouble driving, but I couldn't walk without a lot of pain and my gait was still unsteady. I didn't have a temporary handicap parking permit so, by the time I got into the store, I was exhausted.

I'm very proud, but one of the customer service reps saw me struggling and suggested she keep my walker behind the counter while I shop and got me a scooter. As I was headed to get some milk, I smiled at a couple and the man began to lecture me about being lazy and using a cart reserved for people with disabilities.

So my question to you is, "What does a woman with a broken pelvis look like?"

Reminds me of when I just got a call that my biopsy was positive for cancer cells (I'm okay) and felt like pigging out on a hot fudge sundae to lift me out of my depression. 2 very large women passed by my table and one of them said "I hate you. It's always the skinny ones who can eat whatever they want. I wish I were that lucky."

Don't judge.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I had to chuckle when I read this comment.

Yes, there are many ignorant people who think they're in an amusement park, but let me tell you a story. In May I had a bad accident and fractured my pelvic bone and, after being stuck in a wheelchair and using a walker at home, I finally was able to drive to the supermarket after about 6 weeks. I had no trouble driving, but I couldn't walk without a lot of pain and my gait was still unsteady. I didn't have a temporary handicap parking permit so, by the time I got into the store, I was exhausted.

I'm very proud, but one of the customer service reps saw me struggling and suggested she keep my walker behind the counter while I shop and got me a scooter. As I was headed to get some milk, I smiled at a couple and the man began to lecture me about being lazy and using a cart reserved for people with disabilities.

So my question to you is, "What does a woman with a broken pelvis look like?"

Reminds me of when I just got a call that my biopsy was positive for cancer cells (I'm okay) and felt like pigging out on a hot fudge sundae to lift me out of my depression. 2 very large women passed by my table and one of them said "I hate you. It's always the skinny ones who can eat whatever they want. I wish I were that lucky."

Don't judge.
Exactly! Don't judge. You never know what's going on with a person just by looking at them. Those carts in the stores aren't reserved for 'handicapped' people only. I've never seen that a handicap tag was needed to use one. They are called ECV's. Electric Convenience Vehicles. They are there for those that need assistance getting around the store. So what if a person has to step around an ECV while the user is shopping. Dont regular shopping carts and their users take up just as much space (if not more) in an aisle while they are standing there staring at the salad dressings???

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Why would somebody move to Hernando and expect an uptown feel? Just thinking "Hernando County" brings to mind images of cows. tractors, rednecks, and NASCAR. Nothing about it has ever screamed "BIG CITY!!!"

Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 AM

11 posts, read 24,843 times
I moved here to Spring Hill from Hawaii, thinking an hoping for more opportunities for my downs syndrome son! Wow... an eye opener here! Coming from a place that has so much Aloha to a place where there seems to be nothing but mean old people it has been a struggle.

I have heard there are many New York transplants here, this is where they come to retire. It was not my wish to move here, my mother got stuck here after a stroke. So, my love for my mother made me move! I will say it isn't ugly here like some places in the US but it isn't Hawaii either!!!

I am contemplating a move back to Illinois where I am originally from, but not looking forward to winter weather, since living in Hawaii for over 20 yrs and then Florida for a year almost now. But, I believe schools are better and more services for my son will be found in Illinois.

I am a single mom of 2 and have been looking for a job and child care for the entire time I have been here w/o any luck on either. I don't understand how this county cannot have anything for children of special needs? I thought that life for my son would be better on the mainland with more opportunities for him. And... now I realize he was better off in the peaceful beauty of the big island, where old people don't look at him like he it diseased.

Agreeing with Liz.... I haven't made any friends an coming from Hawaii I am very friendly an talk kindly w/ people in line in the ever abundant Walmarts... but my theory on this is people here tend to stick to themselves because you can't trust anyone, if you do... you get screwed. Like I did on the van I bought from what seemed to be a nice friendly guy who said he thought I totally needed this in perfect condition older van to haul my children around... right after I bought it I had to buy it again with a transmission... not very nice to screw a single mom that didn't have any real income except child support. And like many women no nothing about vehicles.

It is near impossible to live here, I don't own a home... I rent and finding somewhere safe an affordable is not an easy task! Living on the system... you are at their mercy! Amazingly I was living better in Hawaii, than here in Florida. I was able to find work and live comfortably... here I am stuck living w/ my mother which has become unbearable. The person, whom I changed my entire life for.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to head back to Illinois where I'm originally from and freeze my butt off. So, maybe then I will be able to love my mom the way I used to and maybe, just maybe be able to provide for my family? I am hoping work can be found there.... It isn't fun or anyway for a person to live. I am sure there is good here, I just haven't found, it's been like welcome to the real world... Anyday, I'd be ready an willing to go back to my fairy tail life in Hawaii... but no way in hell, c oan I afford 3 tickets there now. The policy on living off the state is you must be poor as dirt and not able to afford the things in life people take for granted like needing diapers for your 7 yr. old downs boy or shampoo an other necessities you just must have.

I admit it isn't the states fault I am where I am at... but at least give a **** and care that my children are in need and no one not even a dog should live the way the government expects people to live. There is a real problem in America today. If there was real work to be found and real trustworthy people out there to trust caring for your child so a mom could feel comfortable working her ass off to provide for her children, I would be more than happy to do, actually that is all I want some real decency in the world. What has happened to caring loving people... now you have to worry about child abusers and what not for the simple task of earning a living. I feel for single moms, we have it harder than anyone truly knows....

Please don't tear me down as someone who hasn't put time an money into our government, because I have an it is my right to accept welfare, I put lots of money in their greedy hands during my 39 yrs. of life. I didn't just sit home popping out babies to live off the system. Both my children have the same father, that had a mid life crisis and moved on to marry a hostess bar ***** and left me with the soul responsibility of raising our sons. Thanks....

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
I normally don't post on these threads. I can't stand them. It seems that no matter where one came from, Florida should adjust to accommodate that. Every place in the world has a different culture. Adjust. Or don't, and be miserable. It's always gotta be someone else's fault.

I do not understand the difficulty making friends. Sure, it takes a while, but good grief, I knew most of my neighbors within a month. I'm very friendly and I like to get out and talk to people, so surprise, surprise, I find other friendly people everywhere. I've been paying attention for the past several months, because there are so many people on this forum that say how rude everyone is that I thought perhaps I was wrong. Nope. And I'm fairly certain I don't walk around inside my own little bubble. You attract what you put out there. If you are rude, you get rude.

Taxes are high? Uh, OK, I guess. I've budgeted every little thing in our lives and it all comes out about even... we came from Michigan. My car insurance is lower here, I don't have homeowner's in FL yet (planning on buying next year), renter's insurance is super cheap. The taxes on our house up north that we have renters in are just as high as what I'm reading about here.

The economy sucks everywhere folks. My dh and I are both blessed to be working good jobs, and making more than we did in Michigan. It isn't all bad here, or anywhere. Don't blame Florida.

My cousin has lived in Clearwater her entire life and tells me that she sees people move down here with the idea that they will be living in paradise for the rest of their lives. When they realize that they actually have to go to work and take the kids to school and go get the groceries they feel ripped off and want to go back home.

Go ahead and complain, but it isn't going to make you any happier.

Last edited by Maggi07; 10-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Before leaving Hawaii, you should have checked out the available services here. If you do not know about an item you are purchasing, like that van, take it to a mechanic that does know for a pre-buy inspection.

The government, neither local or federal, can provide everything to everyone everywhere. These services may be more available closer to Tampa.

Yes, I would think that when one depends on the system it is pretty much up to the system to dictate where/when/how. Just be thankful that safety net is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepi71 View Post
I moved here to Spring Hill from Hawaii, thinking an hoping for more opportunities for my downs syndrome son! Wow... an eye opener here! Coming from a place that has so much Aloha to a place where there seems to be nothing but mean old people it has been a struggle.

I have heard there are many New York transplants here, this is where they come to retire. It was not my wish to move here, my mother got stuck here after a stroke. So, my love for my mother made me move! I will say it isn't ugly here like some places in the US but it isn't Hawaii either!!!

I am contemplating a move back to Illinois where I am originally from, but not looking forward to winter weather, since living in Hawaii for over 20 yrs and then Florida for a year almost now. But, I believe schools are better and more services for my son will be found in Illinois.

I am a single mom of 2 and have been looking for a job and child care for the entire time I have been here w/o any luck on either. I don't understand how this county cannot have anything for children of special needs? I thought that life for my son would be better on the mainland with more opportunities for him. And... now I realize he was better off in the peaceful beauty of the big island, where old people don't look at him like he it diseased.

Agreeing with Liz.... I haven't made any friends an coming from Hawaii I am very friendly an talk kindly w/ people in line in the ever abundant Walmarts... but my theory on this is people here tend to stick to themselves because you can't trust anyone, if you do... you get screwed. Like I did on the van I bought from what seemed to be a nice friendly guy who said he thought I totally needed this in perfect condition older van to haul my children around... right after I bought it I had to buy it again with a transmission... not very nice to screw a single mom that didn't have any real income except child support. And like many women no nothing about vehicles.

It is near impossible to live here, I don't own a home... I rent and finding somewhere safe an affordable is not an easy task! Living on the system... you are at their mercy! Amazingly I was living better in Hawaii, than here in Florida. I was able to find work and live comfortably... here I am stuck living w/ my mother which has become unbearable. The person, whom I changed my entire life for.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to head back to Illinois where I'm originally from and freeze my butt off. So, maybe then I will be able to love my mom the way I used to and maybe, just maybe be able to provide for my family? I am hoping work can be found there.... It isn't fun or anyway for a person to live. I am sure there is good here, I just haven't found, it's been like welcome to the real world... Anyday, I'd be ready an willing to go back to my fairy tail life in Hawaii... but no way in hell, c oan I afford 3 tickets there now. The policy on living off the state is you must be poor as dirt and not able to afford the things in life people take for granted like needing diapers for your 7 yr. old downs boy or shampoo an other necessities you just must have.

I admit it isn't the states fault I am where I am at... but at least give a **** and care that my children are in need and no one not even a dog should live the way the government expects people to live. There is a real problem in America today. If there was real work to be found and real trustworthy people out there to trust caring for your child so a mom could feel comfortable working her ass off to provide for her children, I would be more than happy to do, actually that is all I want some real decency in the world. What has happened to caring loving people... now you have to worry about child abusers and what not for the simple task of earning a living. I feel for single moms, we have it harder than anyone truly knows....

Please don't tear me down as someone who hasn't put time an money into our government, because I have an it is my right to accept welfare, I put lots of money in their greedy hands during my 39 yrs. of life. I didn't just sit home popping out babies to live off the system. Both my children have the same father, that had a mid life crisis and moved on to marry a hostess bar ***** and left me with the soul responsibility of raising our sons. Thanks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay