Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
This entire thread has me wondering now...

My spouse and I (relocated from PA) have been in Tampa for seven years and now have two small children. Taxes are ridiculous here so we've been contemplating a move to Spring Hill or New Port Richeyso we can buy a home. You definitely get more bang for your buck up there, but, are the schools really that bad? I guess the stats you find online really aren't accurate and my co-workers from Spring Hill and Brooksville don't have kids, therefore, offer no info. But...they love it up there.

While my spouse won't have to find a new job, I will. There's no way I could commute everyday to the Westshore area. Not to mention I'd have to drop off two small kids at school in the mornings before heading down the Suncoast.

Feelings are so mixed on the Tampa forum...

Some love it and some hate it. All I can say is that I feel like my family is in a tough spot right now. Homes/taxes are too much in Tampa and we don't want to sacrifice in other areas to move a little north just to be able to afford a home.
I live in Hernando County a little north of Spring Hill in Weeki Wachee. I have 2 children in the schools here and have been very happy with the teachers and administrators.
Someone had mentioned earlier about the schools not rating good. Different schools through out the county rate differently, some good, some not so good.
Yes homes will be quite a bit less expensive up here. There are new 3/2/2 homes in gated communities starting at $129,900.
I have lived in many areas of Florida, Hudson, Clearwater, Largo, Seminole, St.Pete, Sanford, Davie, Lauderhill and while it may not have the most to do I believe Hernando County is a good place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Default Raising a family in Hernando Cty

Does anyone give a darn about the DRUG situation in Hernando Cty. The kids in Hernando cty are surrounded by drug dealers, drugs on campus, drugs in the neighborhoods. Does everyone have on blinders to this situation.

Personal experience I can tell you that there are drug dealers all over Spring Hill
the sheriffs office knows the names and locations of these scummy people and they sit on their hands. There are hundreds of kids in this county affected by drugs, alcohol and anything else they can get their hands on.
Move here and if your kids get in with the wrong crowd, garanteed his/her
name will be on the sheriffs web site. I for one, would not come to Hernando Cty to raise my family, not knowing whether my next door neighbor was a drug dealer.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Does anyone give a darn about the DRUG situation in Hernando Cty. The kids in Hernando cty are surrounded by drug dealers, drugs on campus, drugs in the neighborhoods. Does everyone have on blinders to this situation.

Personal experience I can tell you that there are drug dealers all over Spring Hill
the sheriffs office knows the names and locations of these scummy people and they sit on their hands. There are hundreds of kids in this county affected by drugs, alcohol and anything else they can get their hands on.
Move here and if your kids get in with the wrong crowd, garanteed his/her
name will be on the sheriffs web site. I for one, would not come to Hernando Cty to raise my family, not knowing whether my next door neighbor was a drug dealer.
I understand that you no longer like Hernando County. You have made it more than clear.
The crime and drugs in Hernando County is no where near what you make it out to be.
There will be drugs no matter where anyone goes there is no denying that but to make Hernando County out to be Hunts Point in the Bronx or Compton is ludicrous.
You must be in a pretty bad area if these are the things you see everyday.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:13 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
Yep, move to Miami or the new Broward County and you will see what real drug activity is like.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Mike, I happen to live very close to 7 Hills, the Wellington and the YMCA and yes I have very little love left for Hernando Cty. Commissioner Rocco lives around the corner from me. I can count on my both hands the names of local drug dealers, whose names are on the sheriffs web site, know most of them since they were kids, they went to local HS"s and have myself had one arrested and did 3 yrs in jail. I will not hide my head in the sand on the drug situation here in Hernando Cty. Have first hand experience with the sheriffs and local detective's who don't work on weekends
(wish I could say the same) and have paperwork for arrests and don't do anything about it. I understand that your a realtor and that is your bread and butter and naturally want to sell homes, but check out the Hernando Today or St. Pete Times for their crime reports, areas are broke up into serveral districts. District 2 Zone 7 is the area surrounding 7 Hills, look at the activity in those areas. These are facts, not fiction, and this backs up what I say.

Junkies need money to make their drug buys, several homes in my neighborhood have been robbed, not once but several times, and I have to laugh, because a Hernando County deputy lives two doors down, think that would deter the crooks, hell no.

Hernando Cty has no industry, only service jobs that pay practically nothing
I see and talk to people everyday and hear one sob story or another of how they can't pay the bills, houses in foreclosure, people are desperate, they steal,, sell drugs..........in days of old we had "Dodge City" a rough and tumble pioneer town with only death......is Spring Hill also a "Dodge City".

Having been born and raised in the Bronx, I know about the Hunts Point area
and its not that bad, the market is gone, new businesses are going in and drugs are down in the Bronx. I happen to get the NY paper The Riverdale Press and there crime pages are nothing compared to Spring Hill, FL And comparing Hunts Point in the Bronx to Spring Hill is like comparing apples to oranges, drugs have been here for a long time, used to be that it pretty much stayed in "the subs" in Brooksville, but before long, kids found out that they can make 2,000 dollars a day and buy fancy cars, clothes and live the life. Its come to Spring Hill and its here to stay.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 PM

236 posts, read 900,869 times
SOngbird
I think we are neighbors! I've gotta be very close to you! And I agree, the charm of Hernando COunty has worn off a long time ago with me too! As soon as I can sell this place, I'm heading back north! When I take my dog for a walk, there is one house that you can actually smell the "weed" outside!
I think alot of businesses are dishonest and medical care sucks!

AND GLADSTON...
Think sink hole before buying in Spring HIll!!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
SOngbird
I think we are neighbors! I've gotta be very close to you! And I agree, the charm of Hernando COunty has worn off a long time ago with me too! As soon as I can sell this place, I'm heading back north! When I take my dog for a walk, there is one house that you can actually smell the "weed" outside!

AND GLADSTON...
Thanks, all, for your responses so far.

Is all of Spring Hill prone to sink holes? I was told the possibilities were only around the Mariner area.

I don't know what kind of neighborhood this is considered: off the SH exit, left onto SH Drive, drive for a bit and then left on any street there's an area with the following street names of Godfrey, Bolger, Coronado, etc. Is this a decent area?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
SOngbird

AND GLADSTON...
I see a few of you are hoping to sell to move on. Anyone have a 3 or 4/2/2, screened inground pool, move-in condition, minimum 1,800 living sq.ft. that screams PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP to sell reasonably? Seriously!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Are you actually trying to compare drug crime in Spring Hill to drug crime in the Bronx?
You just lost all credibility. Hunts Point in the Bronx and the surrounding area is one of the highest drug and crime areas in NYC. To be one of the highest in NYC is pretty bad.

As for the Spring Hill crime reports, I can understand now why you see what you do. Your area, district 2 zone 7, is an area that includes a large affordable housing apartment complex. That apartment complex opened upa few years back and crime went up. That is why I asked where you were.

The problem is you are lumping all of Spring Hill together when the problem is concentrated in a few areas. Where you have state and county funded affordable housing you will have higher crime.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 PM

236 posts, read 900,869 times
DOnt let them fool you! Sink holes are everywhere in Hernando and Pasco County! And they are anyplace they feel like! Dont let some builder tell you they are not in this area, I've seen them do that. Dont let someone tell you they are only in one area of the county. And if someone tells you they have drilled for sink holes, ask them how deep. Most companies drill 15 feet, which isnt very deep at all when it comes to sink holes. Mine dont even start until 25 feet down! Just be very careful! Oh and the area you mentioned is in my area, there are sink holes, my neighborhood had at least 7 that are known!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay