U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,143,705 times

Advertisements

HOA says fake grass lawn in Riverview must go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM

26,755 posts, read 41,143,562 times
Thanks for posting this. My parents have it in Europe in their front yard but the curb is covered with hedges and plants so from the street you can only see a very small green part. On top of that is the front yard small so it looks different and the temp. is different. For a backyard as we have over here it would look so bad and I wouldn't like it my neighbors would have it.

My parents are in their 80's and every yard is different over there. in the back yard they have no grass...plants, nice pavers, fontein, etc... very very nice, but still a lot of maintenance due to the weeds in the flowerbeds, but very nice for an elderly couple or a couple that hess no time or doesn't want to mow.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM

15,771 posts, read 32,872,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Thanks for posting this. My parents have it in Europe in their front yard but the curb is covered with hedges and plants so from the street you can only see a very small green part. On top of that is the front yard small so it looks different and the temp. is different. For a backyard as we have over here it would look so bad and I wouldn't like it my neighbors would have it.

My parents are in their 80's and every yard is different over there. in the back yard they have no grass...plants, nice pavers, fontein, etc... very very nice, but still a lot of maintenance due to the weeds in the flowerbeds, but very nice for an elderly couple or a couple that hess no time or doesn't want to mow.
I agree. That fake turf is ok in a SMALL PATCH but not an entire yard. This is one time I am in agreement with the HOA, and that is definitely NOT a Florida friendly yard! I persoally like what you say your parents did, and it is what I am working toward - having mostly trees, shrubs, flowers and mulch, etc. rather than any kind of "lawn". It looks so nice like that and once established doesn't need too much work except occasional weeding.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM

707 posts, read 1,333,157 times
This is why I wont buy in an HOA community....too many rules. My daughter is allergic to grass (She gets hives when she sits on it) I currently live in an Apartment but I would have artifical turf for her needs.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 PM

371 posts, read 1,077,136 times
That artificial turf lawn is...interesting. How would you maintain it for leaves, flower waste, blown mulch, etc? Vacuum it daily?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,730,979 times
Pays to read the HOA document before buying a house. Not all HOAs are the - sounds like many posters on this board thinks all HOA are alike. Some HOAs are more liberal than others in what they allow.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM

2,259 posts, read 9,002,373 times
Historic districts (in Dallas) don't like artificial lawns either!

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...eights_a_m.php

>>But for those playing along at home, pull up the agenda and scroll down to Discussion Item No. 2 -- the one labeled, simply, "Install artificial lawn." For a good 30 minutes during their briefing this morning, the commissioners discussed whether Jose Escobedo, who lives in Junius Heights, had violated his historic district's ordinance by installing Astroturf. Said several commissioners afterward, that was a first.

As you can see from the StreetView scene above, Escobedo isn't interested in keeping up an actual lawn, so he installed a fake one -- which, from the photos displayed at City Hall today, looks much better than the brown patch he's replaced. And, from all accounts, you'd never know unless you walked on the lawn that it was faux. But, Escobedo was ratted out by someone who took offense at the lawn and called 311. So, for 30 minutes and for the first time in the commission's history, the commissioners asked city staff, in short: Um, what's the problem? <<

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
This is why I wont buy in an HOA community....too many rules. My daughter is allergic to grass (She gets hives when she sits on it) I currently live in an Apartment but I would have artifical turf for her needs.
You won't buy in a HOA community but you are in a apartment....is there a management or apartment association?....or you can do whatever you want and so can your neighbors..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,104,086 times
Tastefully landscaped with artificial turf, especially where it is bordered on all sides with plant beds to soften the transition, I believe is awesome! You really do "need" those flower beds surrounding the grass so that there would be sufficient rainwater absorption, especially when we have those sudden hard downpours that would cause a quasi-flood without them for absorption.

I think the argument would be more that it is installed in a professional and well thoight out way so as not to look like someone layed a piece of carpet down. Having it done such that real plants are around the border, be they flowers, hedges, trees, etc provides the visual for anyone walking by on the sidewalk. Thus...it's awesome. We need to be worried about the water we are wasting on aesthetics. When we run out of drinking water...let's just sue the HOA for not keeping up with the times and needs of the community/state (lol). Really though, I believe the covenance of a HOA should be held accountable as well. They seem to cherry pick what they enforce. We have a rule that cars cannot be on the street. There are cars EVERYWHERE on the street. How can ONE rule be rigidly enforced and another overlooked. So, if we are going to alter the rules(unofficially), don't be so rigid about altering the rules where our environment and lack of water is concerned. I think they place their priorities in the wrong place. How about the rule that pet owners will pick up after themselves if they walk their dogs. Yeah, okay...so that's why you send the kids to walk the dog, right?

Okay...back to the lawn...point I am trying to make is these HOA's preach what "THEY" want enforced in the covenance, but they are cherry picking these rules. More neighbor solidarity needs to make a statement to them. Tastefully done, I think it would be a great idea and always green no matter what the weather, then enforce those flowerbeds and the neighborhood could begin to look awesome...ALL the time!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM

The picture showed something that looked like a piece of carpet...my parents "fake" or artificial grass is looking like real grass...not a flat carpet. The color is also way more real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or