U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM

93 posts, read 229,572 times

Advertisements

I can deal with the heat. The humidity. The mosquitos. The palmetto bugs. The gnats. And pretty much all of the the other things about Tampa's nature that people talk about.

But the cicadas are driving me crazy.

They keep me up at all hours of the night. Then they take a break. Then they start up again around sunrise. Then again in the afternoon. They are by far the most annoying animals on this green earth. Their buzzing is downright deafening. When they stop for a few minutes or hours, it is like heaven. The rest of the time it's like having those horns from the world cup blowing in my ear non-stop - especially when it's time to sleep.

The sound of crickets and nature is one thing; but this is unbearable. Our house has pretty decent windows, but they are no match for hundreds of cicadas belting out their 120+ decibel songs in unison. And to think, we live in the city. I can't imagine what it's like in the boondocks.

I'm really hoping that this year is just unusually bad because of the early heat. I wasn't as bothered last year. I've heard a number of bugs are worse than usual due the odd winter weather (in 2009-2010) and hotter than normal spring-summer we're having.

Pleae. Make. It. Stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

22 posts, read 82,842 times
Just gotta tune them out. I never notice them anymore.....too many other things going on.
Just another part of living in the south....I'm in NFl, but grew up in Tampa.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,765 times
Oh so that's what that is. I thought Tampa had the loudest crickets in the world. I'm near wilderness but I don't hear them in the house so maybe they are mostly city-dwellers. Don't let them bother you. Think of it as exterior tinnitis.

Just walked around the property with a sound meter. The loudest reading I got was 72 db. Inside the house it is under 50 db (50 being the quietest this meter measures). Coincidentally, I'm currently installing double glazed windows (just two in so far) throughout, just in case they mount an attack.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,235,167 times
I guess I am strange because I love the sound of Cicada's. Unfortunately for them my cat likes them as well and has an uncanny knack for finding them and destroying them. Especially for being a big fat one eyed kitty. Maybe I should loan the Whopper to the OP lol.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM

16,130 posts, read 10,929,277 times
Never hear em around my house.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 PM

762 posts, read 1,640,605 times
it's the same thing as listening to a dripping faucet or the noise of the ceiling fans. You need to focus your attention on something else; try listening to your breathing when your trying to fall asleep; you'd be surprised how quickly the Cicadas will fade into the background.

Pleasant dreams!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM

515 posts, read 1,076,721 times
You could try bringing in some coqui frogs to eat them. If that doesn't work, at least the cicadas won't be the noisiest thing you hear at night anymore. Coqui & greenhouse frogs: alien Caribbean frogs in Hawaii

Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 6,410,346 times
They are just the sound of summer to me. They are bad this year.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 AM

216 posts, read 765,284 times
Moved here recently from a NYC 'burb where the air shook with their chorus.

It's not just a southern thing.

I don't hear them around here at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay