U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM

707 posts, read 1,331,966 times

Advertisements

I'm from Rochester NY and I found it more expensive. The food is more expensive, my rent is about $200 dollars more than what I would pay their (I pay $700 for 1/1 in New Tampa w.o utilities...with utilities it would be $900), the salaries are lower, and my car insurance jumped about $80.00 (mind you I have no tickets or car accidents). As soon as I finish degree I've decided to go back to Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM

15,755 posts, read 32,814,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I'm from Rochester NY and I found it more expensive. The food is more expensive, my rent is about $200 dollars more than what I would pay their (I pay $700 for 1/1 in New Tampa w.o utilities...with utilities it would be $900), the salaries are lower, and my car insurance jumped about $80.00 (mind you I have no tickets or car accidents). As soon as I finish degree I've decided to go back to Rochester.
Sounds like a plan.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 118,771 times
doesn't florida have no income tax so sales tax is higher?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,661,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I have to agree with you. I think there was a time a few years ago when it was cheaper in Florida. I don't think it is now. Just the yearly increase in my house insurance will more than pay for lot rent for the toyhauler for the few months its cold up north. It is possible to have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 PM

22,261 posts, read 32,735,518 times
I'm not sure where (other than remote areas like upstate NY) things can be much less cheaper than the Tampa area. Nickel and dime differences in groceries hardly make that big a difference. Energy costs are lower in FL. Real Estate costs less, unless you're from a depressed Rust Belt city. The pay is less because it costs less, thats right out of Economics 101 and not rocket science.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM

22,261 posts, read 32,735,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sounds like a plan.
Exactly, don't let the door hit you..

Old 07-26-2010, 02:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,886 times
Depends on where you're from, I suppose. Cheaper here than south Florida by about 20-25% and one of the reasons I relocated. Food is less: though I don't have direct figures, I know that when I go food shopping in south Florida I come home with less money. My car insurance went up 2% here but my health insurance went down 22%. I pay less for insurance on two houses here than I did on one house there. Gas is about 2-3% less. Services are less (hair cut 22% less, etc) because companies pay less for their overhead here. Electric here is about 20% more but I don't have so much square footage and I'm insulating so that cost is not terrible. Home prices are much less. Water, sewer & refuse is way less (though I have septic here), reducing those bills for me by a whopping 90% (and the only difference in service is down to yearly from monthly bulk pickup). Some smaller items might have gone up, but in general and certainly with the big ticket items my costs have decreased by moving here.

Just a suggestion, that if you are a young person, you might consider starting off your life in the more expensive location, even if it means you have to struggle more earlier on, because later in life you might want to downsize. And if this isn't a downsize from Rochester, well, you'll be limited yourself later on.

You can always move back to where it is cheaper. Not so the other way around.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,244,340 times
I said this on another thread, but I'll go again

It's about the same for me.

My car insurance is less, heating and cooling is much less, food is the same, sales tax is the same, gas is less. Renting is the same, housing prices (sale) are far less here for comparable homes. Water/sewer/refuse is more.

So it all comes out about the same overall.

I have been paying attention to COL posts lately because I'm trying to figure out where people are coming from that it's less expensive. I never paid much attention before we moved and I was surprised to find such a claimed disparity. I guess FL and MI are on the same wavelength.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM

762 posts, read 1,640,131 times
If you compare a 50,000 salary in Rochester New York you would need to earn a Comparable salary in Tampa, FL of $46,853 for the same standard of living

If you move from Rochester, NY to Tampa, FL....
Groceries will cost: 5% more
Housing will cost: 9% less
Utilities will cost: 17% less
Transportation will cost: 8% less
Healthcare will cost: 8% less

If you plug in Manhattan New York; where I used to work the difference is staggering!!!

Comparable salary in Tampa, FL $21,593

If you move from New York (Manhattan), NY to Tampa, FL....
Groceries will cost: 32% less
Housing will cost: 79% less
Utilities will cost: 35% less
Transportation will cost: 22% less
Healthcare will cost: 27% less

This can be found at the Cost of Living Estimator here ===> Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,244,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter1803 View Post
doesn't florida have no income tax so sales tax is higher?
Sales tax isn't that high. It's 6%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or