U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM

15,787 posts, read 32,974,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Boo!!! Hiss!!!

What's with all the negativity on this thread that was meant to be so positive?? Geesh!
Eh, the only negativity is one certain poster here who has never had a good thing to say. It's just a message board after all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 AM

357 posts, read 723,851 times
Yes, I've never had a single good thing to say.
It's called reality, folks. Deal with it. It's reality hitting AlaskaKash in the face.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,886,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
It's called reality, folks. Deal with it. It's reality hitting AlaskaKash in the face.
And I bet you are loving it!

Everyone has minor setbacks and so far his setbacks are nothing that he cannot handle and take care of.

Gosh, you act like its the end of the world to have a rat and trouble finding schools.

People deal with REALITY daily and they get over it and go on.

He will be just fine. Maybe you should not be so negative and give him some encouragement with his MINOR issues.

I suppose you never had a minor issue moving from one house to another ever right?

Amazing.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,678,030 times
Those things really arent setbacks. There's always going to be rats so you just have to accpt it. Thats just a fact of life in this climate. People are always complaining about the schools,just watch the news. Business wise, this tends to be the scam artist capital of the country, again just watch the news. Just stay on the defensive side and you'll be ok. Reality isn't always positive. I've read here numerous times that if you come here with "reasonable" expectations you'll do ok. You're better off to leave those fantsy's wherever you came from.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 AM

749 posts, read 2,183,088 times
Quote:
Looks like you're getting the nice Florida welcome. I see you've been formally introduced to the nearly indestructible palmetto bug, and have had dealings with one of the many pest control scam artists.
And you've jumped right in and met some of the wonderful locals via Craigslist! No, it's not uncommon here for people to try to bait 'n switch on you when you go to buy something. It's also not uncommon for them to ask half the original price of a vehicle for one that is 10 years old, 100k+ miles on it, and was abused by some greasy thug teenager.
Looks like toddler beatings and rapes are down this week -- only one toddler beaten to death in Tampa Bay so far. Oh, but it's only Thursday, I'm sure we'll catch up with our summer average.
Don't worry, those cloudy rainy days are going away again, and we're headed for lovely 108-110F heat index days this weekend. Gotten your first utility bill yet? :-)

Ahh, just gotta love "paradise".
All that bad stuff with the exception of the heat is going on all over the country. As far as the palmetto bugs, that when those cheap flip-flops sold at Walgreens come in handy.......just work on your backhand a little and splat, no more bug.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:00 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,606,317 times
Kash, I'm glad you made it safely to Florida; and thanks for the trip report. I really enjoyed reading it (I've been so busy that I'm behind on CD posts). You are definitely level-headed and I think you'd do well anywhere. I would rep you, but I got a system message that said I need to spread it around first.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,208,237 times
Quote:

Eh, I guess you're right. I never expected to see bugs in Florida, nor did I ever expect to have to deal with them I never expected everything to go super smooth and never expected to not have setbacks in a move. Maybe you forgot, I moved from one side of a continent to another. One extreme climate to another. I would have been a fool to think a setback wouldn't occur, or to think everything would be 'paradise' and all glitter and glam.

I've moved enough to know that settling in is always a pain. I am taking care of the bugs. Bug bombed the house yesterday and killed lots. I plan on doing it again in 3 weeks or so.

You see, I think there's a huge difference between people like me and people like you. People like you whine and complain about everything that life throws at you. I am sure you have passed up opportunities life has thrown at you, either because you don't know how to recognize such a thing or perhaps it wasn't the 'right' opportunity. Me, I take care of a problem that causes me to complain.

I will beat these bugs and considering I have only been dealing with them for 2 weeks and making as much progress as I have, I like to think I am doing a pretty bang up job.

You're right, reality has slapped me in the face I completely expected to come here and think all my troubles would disappear. Oh wait, that's right. I didn't move down here to run away from problems where I came from. I moved because I wanted to live in a different climate and experience a part of the country I have never lived in.

Oh and for Florida sucking. Yeah, this place is awful. Let me tell you what I did during my weekend.

Friday - AFTER WORK I jumped in the pool for an hour or so. Then the family and I went to Caddy's on the beach. Had dinner and watched the kids build sand castles and play with other kids on the beach while having a couple of Captain and Cokes. We all sat together and watched the sunset.

Saturday - Went to the Rays vs Orioles game. First game my kids have been to. Got there right when the gates opened and enjoyed the stadium, mid-way and ray petting tank. After the game, which the Rays won and we got to see a Grand Slam, Train (Hey, Soul Sister on the radio) did a concert. This was also the first concert for my kids as well. After the game my kids we're yelling, "Rays Win" and enjoying the fan fare of the crowd leaving the stadium

Sunday - Went to Adventure Island with our new 2 year season passes to Busch Garden and Adventure Island. Brought the dogs and put them in the A/C Kennels they have available. We spent 6 hours at the water park while the bug bombs did their job. When we got back home the kids and the wife swam in the pool while I cleaned up the massacre caused by the bug bomb.

Yeah, life is awful here. I wish I had never come. Sorry your life sucks.

Oh and the school thing. I got the kids in a school rated a 10 and it's only 2 miles from the house.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,678,030 times
Sounds like you had a awsome weekend. Enjoy it while it's new.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 AM

17 posts, read 45,046 times
Love your posts, AlaskaKash! I've lived in FL for a long time, and all over the world. Life is what you make it. It never ceases to amaze me how many full-grown whiners there are in the world.

My dh & I shake our heads over it all the time regarding a few of his co-workers. The whiners are too busy whining & wallowing in their own misery to realize that EVERYONE has problems--but the non-whiners put their big-boy and big-girl panties on a long time ago & are too BUSY solving their problems to have a "Why-me?" attitude about it.

Someone once told me a long time ago that instead of asking "Why me?" every time something bad happened to them, the thought occured to them that "Why NOT me?" "Who am I to think I am immune from problems? I'm no better than anyone else. Every one has them." I think that is very wise.

My dh gets so sick of people at work whining "Why do I have to work a short-change shift? WAAH!" But, everyone there has to every once in a while, yet there is always the same few people that whine about it when it's their turn. Really? Are they so special that everyone else should work a hard shift, but they shouldn't? Wow, they must be soooo special, yet somehow someone forgot to tell the rest of the world, I guess. My kids did that when they were 5. It sure shocks me to see 30-somethings do it.

I get it that FL has its problems, really I do. I've lived in FL for 15 years. I've been gone for 2 years. Can't wait to get back. Ya know why? I've lived all over the world and in many different U.S. States, and the same problems that people state about FL are present in every other area of this country as well. The only unique problem is the hurricane threat and the resulting high homeowner's insurance. Well, I think we all knew about that one before we came folks. If you didn't, well, that's on you. Personally, I'd rather have a weeks notice of a hurricane than wake up in the middle of the night feeling an earthquake in Tokyo (done that) or have tornado touch down in my neighbors back yard with no warning(done that).

Sorry for the rant. It just gets really old watching the vultures on this board start circling & gleefully posting when someone has a problem.

There is nothing wrong with warning people about realities and pitfalls. But, when someone is consistently negative & has nothing good to say EVER, it starts looking less like reality and more like a personal problem.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,424,862 times
Nice to see someone who encounters adversity and deals with it rather than whining and complaining. All of us have difficulties, but I truly believe it's not what happens to you, but how you deal with it.

Personally, I can't wait to get to Florida full time. Cancer derailed my original retirement date, but I'm back on track and should be in Florida full time a year from now. I know we'll encounter difficulties, but I have every confidence that we'll deal with them.

BTW, your weekend sounded wonderful. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the local flavor and venues. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay